Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replied to my other thread but thought I would start another. This is the main follow up text...

Ok so just got back from my test drive at Kia Blackpool UK. Sadly they messed up, as I was supposed to test drive the GT Line S AWD in White but instead they only had the GT Line in RWD. I was told the GT Line S AWD was on a photo shoot for the day. I wasn't happy as takes me 35 mins to drive to the dealer. And to make matters worse, after the test drive the rep was told by another rep that they don't even have the GT Line S AWD until January anyway! So would have been wrong. With this knowledge I'm guessing the AWD versions are being made after the RWD. So not hopeful at getting mine before 2022.

So with that I couldn't see the AR, sun roof that people requested.

So I got in the GT Line RWD 55Kwh in red and gave it a drive for an hour.

It's firmer than my Audi A3 S Line 2015 and not as nimble as much bigger car but I did enjoy driving it. I would get to lights and floor it in Sport Mode and zip past anyone. So pretty good.

I did feel a but underwhelmed with the experience, probably because I wasn't driving the car I ordered.

I do think it will be a perfect family car as the space inside is really big, loads of room in the back (after I set drivers position etc) and does feel a bit more roomy then the demo model at the unveiling.

Center console seems to be better with no rattle. Sadly the boot secure clips are still plastic, but seem pretty solid!

On a plus side I set the drivers position to myself, put the back seats down and laid down in the boot, was plenty big enough for me at 6'1 and room to spare. I was diagonally.

Oh and I caught my hand badly on the rear lines when the boot was open. Very pointy - but that's my bad.

In terms of screen responsiveness, it was laggy as soon as you start the car but improves lots after it finishes booting up. It wasn't ipad good, but very acceptable.

I was very underwhelmed with the pace on the motorway. It's 0 to 30 and 60 mph is great but performance drops of loads after 60 / 70. So I tried 60 to 80+ mph and wasn't that impressive until got to 80+ and picked up.

Saying that you do get up to the speed limit very quickly and have a responsive accelerator pedal and strong brakes. Re-gen paddles are very handy! Before you know it you're breaking the speed limit!

It terms of quality, you can tell it's not an Audi, but the Kia is much cheaper than nearly the same spec Audi Q4 (like £10k cheaper!). You can't even get a Q4 as fast as the EV6 anyway. Id say the Q4 was a better, smoother drive because not as stiff suspension. Again Ionic 5 is more comfortable because of this. But the Ionic 5 feels like you're driving a VW bus and is huge inside.

The GT Line RWD I drove today was a bit of a mess! It still had most of the protective shipping stuff on, tracked to the left on the road a bit and had strange noises at different speeds probably due to the wrapping flapping. Presentation wasn't great at all.

Noise levels in the car was good! Much better than my Audi. Seats wasn't as comfortable as my Audi but I have sporty seats. Seats position themselves which is nice. A few adjustments of the wheel and I could see all the display just fine.

Navigation had trouble finding place names - it's not Google Maps! I plan on hooking up my phone anyway. It didn't even find 'kia blackpool' when it was time to take it home.

Middle arm rest in the rear seemed to slump forward for some reason - think it was defective.

So conclusion - I'll probably buy it but I'm more tempted away after the test drive. It makes you think if you need to fast version because it would spend most of life in the normal mode anyway.

Feel free to ask any questions and hope this helps.

Here is the car I test drove. First impressions not great.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like a very disappointing experience. But in a strange way it's helpful because, after reading and seeing all the glowing reviews, it tempers expectations when others get a test drive! Thanks for not pulling your punches!

One question.....did you check out voice commands for nav, phone, media etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a very disappointing experience. But in a strange way it's helpful because, after reading and seeing all the glowing reviews, it tempers expectations when others get a test drive! Thanks for not pulling your punches!

One question.....did you check out voice commands for nav, phone, media etc?
Sorry didn't test the voice commands. Saw the button, then forgot :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replied to my other thread but thought I would start another. This is the main follow up text...

Ok so just got back from my test drive at Kia Blackpool UK. Sadly they messed up, as I was supposed to test drive the GT Line S AWD in White but instead they only had the GT Line in RWD. I was told the GT Line S AWD was on a photo shoot for the day. I wasn't happy as takes me 35 mins to drive to the dealer. And to make matters worse, after the test drive the rep was told by another rep that they don't even have the GT Line S AWD until January anyway! So would have been wrong. With this knowledge I'm guessing the AWD versions are being made after the RWD. So not hopeful at getting mine before 2022.

[/QUOTE]

So how much power did your test car have? I heard that the cars with 55 KWh packs like your test car have less power. I understand that configuration is not available in the UK. My test car had 226 bhp. All UK spec EV6 are supposed to have the 77.4 KWh battery. It was properly prepared, a great test drive experience and no noises at all.

This was the car that I tested on Monday, RWD GT line S RWD, 226 bhp. You can just see the sunroof.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how much power did your test car have? I heard that the cars with 55 KWh packs like your test car have less power. I understand that configuration is not available in the UK. My test car had 226 bhp. All UK spec EV6 are supposed to have the 77.4 KWh battery. It was properly prepared, a great test drive experience and no noises at all.

This was the car that I tested on Monday, RWD GT line S RWD, 226 bhp. You can just see the sunroof.

View attachment 493
[/QUOTE]
Nice looking car - wish my one looked like that! The salesperson probably got the 55kwh bit wrong. Either way, it was still pretty fast considering it was the slower spec. I was suuposed to test drive the GT Line S AWD but got the GT Line RW :-(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably still had the transportation blocks in the suspension to stop the car bobbing about on the boat. If they were still in place (they almost certainly were given the lack of car prep) that would make for very stiff suspension. They are removed at the PDI stage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Probably still had the transportation blocks in the suspension to stop the car bobbing about on the boat. If they were still in place (they almost certainly were given the lack of car prep) that would make for very stiff suspension. They are removed at the PDI stage.
Makes sense because on my GT line S RWD test drive it was not very stiff suspension, in fact just right IMHO, not wallowing, definitely not rough or harsh.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wonder how many of the active and passive safety systems were not operational? I change my car every 12 months or so and always go to see it as soon as it lands. The dash is usually lit up like a Christmas tree with many things in fault until it’s been PDI’d.

·
Registered
181 Posts

It's firmer than my Audi A3 S Line 2015 and not as nimble as much bigger car but I did enjoy driving it. I would get to lights and floor it in Sport Mode and zip past anyone. So pretty good.

I did feel a but underwhelmed with the experience, probably because I wasn't driving the car I ordered.

I do think it will be a perfect family car as the space inside is really big, loads of room in the back (after I set drivers position etc) and does feel a bit more roomy then the demo model at the unveiling.

Center console seems to be better with no rattle. Sadly the boot secure clips are still plastic, but seem pretty solid!

On a plus side I set the drivers position to myself, put the back seats down and laid down in the boot, was plenty big enough for me at 6'1 and room to spare. I was diagonally.

Oh and I caught my hand badly on the rear lines when the boot was open. Very pointy - but that's my bad.

In terms of screen responsiveness, it was laggy as soon as you start the car but improves lots after it finishes booting up. It wasn't ipad good, but very acceptable.

I was very underwhelmed with the pace on the motorway. It's 0 to 30 and 60 mph is great but performance drops of loads after 60 / 70. So I tried 60 to 80+ mph and wasn't that impressive until got to 80+ and picked up.

Saying that you do get up to the speed limit very quickly and have a responsive accelerator pedal and strong brakes. Re-gen paddles are very handy! Before you know it you're breaking the speed limit!

It terms of quality, you can tell it's not an Audi, but the Kia is much cheaper than nearly the same spec Audi Q4 (like £10k cheaper!). You can't even get a Q4 as fast as the EV6 anyway. Id say the Q4 was a better, smoother drive because not as stiff suspension. Again Ionic 5 is more comfortable because of this. But the Ionic 5 feels like you're driving a VW bus and is huge inside.

The GT Line RWD I drove today was a bit of a mess! It still had most of the protective shipping stuff on, tracked to the left on the road a bit and had strange noises at different speeds probably due to the wrapping flapping. Presentation wasn't great at all.

Noise levels in the car was good! Much better than my Audi. Seats wasn't as comfortable as my Audi but I have sporty seats. Seats position themselves which is nice. A few adjustments of the wheel and I could see all the display just fine.

Navigation had trouble finding place names - it's not Google Maps! I plan on hooking up my phone anyway. It didn't even find 'kia blackpool' when it was time to take it home.

Middle arm rest in the rear seemed to slump forward for some reason - think it was defective.

So conclusion - I'll probably buy it but I'm more tempted away after the test drive. It makes you think if you need to fast version because it would spend most of life in the normal mode anyway.

Feel free to ask any questions and hope this helps.

Here is the car I test drove. First impressions not great.

View attachment 492
You guys are lucky that you got them in. We are still waiting here for ours. And you guys are lucky to get the new JUKE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts