Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Test drove a Wind RWD tonight. I "think" I'll buy it tomorrow and order a GT Line AWD. I really want to pop out handles (Wind is all manual) and ambient light.

View attachment 2101
How do you like Runway Red in real life? I ordered Runway Red but I have subsequently seen so many pictures with different shades of red I am beginning to second guess my decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good choice. The RWD performance seems to like other EVs... anemic

And reviews were less kind to the RWD version also in off the cuff comments.
Agreed. 3 things really steer us away from Wind RWD
1. door handles don't pop out at all (for kids)
2. no ambient lighting (really dark and depressing at night)
3. 0-60 in 7ish seconds on an EV is just not exciting even this only serves the purpose of my daily.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like Runway Red a lot. It’s a pearlescent paint, so the color varies quite a bit depending on lightings. Sometimes it seems to be a dark red, but other times it looks much brighter. This is mine:
Thanks, this explains my confusion. I was hoping for and would be very happy with the color shown in your pics.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD
139 Posts
Agreed. 3 things really steer us away from Wind RWD
1. door handles don't pop out at all (for kids)
2. no ambient lighting (really dark and depressing at night)
3. 0-60 in 7ish seconds on an EV is just not exciting even this only serves the purpose of my daily.
Definitely wanted the GT-Line trim but to me the AWD comes with some serious trade-offs for that extra fun.

1) A meaningful drop in range

2) 20" wheels = smaller sidewalls and rougher ride

3) Cost of course

All for what? A heat pump for a Phoenician, and a much better 0-60. I definitely wouldn't say the RWD is a downgrade but more of a side grade, and you pay more for it. If you live in a really cold climate, you could certainly argue the AWD is a no-brainer but I have heard horror stories within the last few months of the heat pump not working all that well anyway.

I'm trading in my 2013 Optima SX T-GDI which does hurt because I'm actually going to have a worse 0-60 in the RWD than my 8yo ICE. Still not worth forking out that extra dough with the other trade-offs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely wanted the GT-Line trim but to me the AWD comes with some serious trade-offs for that extra fun.

1) A meaningful drop in range

2) 20" wheels = smaller sidewalls and rougher ride

3) Cost of course

All for what? A heat pump for a Phoenician, and a much better 0-60. I definitely wouldn't say the RWD is a downgrade but more of a side grade, and you pay more for it. If you live in a really cold climate, you could certainly argue the AWD is a no-brainer but I have heard horror stories within the last few months of the heat pump not working all that well anyway.

I'm trading in my 2013 Optima SX T-GDI which does hurt because I'm actually going to have a worse 0-60 in the RWD than my 8yo ICE. Still not worth forking out that extra dough with the other trade-offs.
It’s a bummer they couldn’t squeeze a bit more power out of the RWD. I’d consider it for the increased range and decreased cost, if they could have gotten it down to high 5’s or may even low 6’s. It would just be hard to go to something slower and smaller than my Palisade, and pay more.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD
139 Posts
It’s a bummer they couldn’t squeeze a bit more power out of the RWD. I’d consider it for the increased range and decreased cost, if they could have gotten it down to high 5’s or may even low 6’s. It would just be hard to go to something slower and smaller than my Palisade, and pay more.
If I wasn't going from ICE to EV with all the benefits that brings and a huge jump in features (which granted are in most modern cars but I'm comitted to my next car being an EV - wife still has an ICE as our backup), I wouldn't have picked this one up. If this were an ICE it would be a joke but then again it'd probably be 15k cheaper.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The only RWD EVs I like are the light ones (smaller battery pack ) like the Model 3 SR and Mach-E Premium Standard Range. I test drove a Mach-E Premium RWD Extended Range and found it meh even with the mid-6 second acceleration. The extra weight and lack of AWD power did not make it a sporty ride. But if you are used to driving a minivan… I’m sure it will be awesome because the torque is still instant.

I think long range RWD EVs are great as highway commuters and road trippers. EVs are smooth and comfortable. And almost always quieter than ICE cars (except luxury ones).

I test drove the sibling SEL RWD Ioniq 5 and found it faster than the ID.4 RWD but not enough power to keep me engaged. Again, awesome highway commuter car with tons of passing power. Not fun for dense urban driving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts