Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm not a fan but I guess we'll have to live with it. Have thought about getting it wrapped though but not sure how easy that would be.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,977 Posts
Could be worse could be wrapped in fake wood 😆

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Moon - Passed on my FE
143 Posts
I definitely am not a fan of piano black. Shows every spec of dust. Industry very into it lately though. My 2020 Rogue has it also. Something that needs to go away but I can also live with it for a lease.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I also am not a fan of This in my ordered EV6. My 2017 Audi A4 Saloon had it everywhere. 2019 version of the same car, A4 Avant this time I replaced it with had even more of it inside. Like crazy amounts of piano black random trim. It scratches just by looking at it. On a plus note… I found that using poor boys Black Hole polish takes most of the scratches away.. “most” not deep ones. Luckily there are many replacement parts for the A4, brushed metal versions etc. not sure if EV6 will have this yet. Maybe some type of clear protector like a screen protector for your phone type film?.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't even like calling it "piano black". It's not a multi-layer lacquer coat on finely finished wood. It's just glossy black plastic. The Q4 also has too much of it, though at least what's there is relatively flat and easy to wrap. Someone posted some pictures and it looked pretty good. The shape of the black plastic in the center console looks like it would be pretty hard to wrap and look decent. It would be nice if some aftermarket pieces came out.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Your 100% right there. It’s defo not piano black that can be polished like a piano surface . It’s cheap black plastic that’s hard to look after and doesn’t polish well. Poor boys black hole polish fills the scratches I think that’s why it works so well, but doesn’t last long. After market parts would be great. Looking for the black Kia badges to start showing up on eBay or from Kia direct, seem some Kia Stinger ones a while back, though the new Kia logo badges are hard to find in normal colour, never mind black. Hope the trim parts follow.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,431 Posts
Wrapping the piano black would be an option on most surfaces except the center console because the drive selector indicators are integrated into it. Unless you wrap everything except a cut out for the R N D and associated LEDs. How about a clear vinyl or clear bra type material to atleast protect from scratches.

Automotive design Flash photography Camera lens Grey Personal luxury car

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is anyone bothered by the over-use of Piano Black Plastic? I might have to wrap it somehow.... They used that nice brushed Aluminium-look on the center console, they could have used more of that.
I have plastic over the plastic part on the doors but the middle part is hard. Its beyond stupid that on a premium car as they call it they used cheap shinny plastic.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have plastic over the plastic part on the doors but the middle part is hard. Its beyond stupid that on a premium car as they call it they used cheap shinny plastic.
Same as my past Audi A4… covered in Piano black plastic inside. The stuff is everywhere. Much less in the EV6. Why do car makers use this, it scratches by looking at it. Terrible stuff. Get it wrapped with clear or gloss black.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same as my past Audi A4… covered in Piano black plastic inside. The stuff is everywhere. Much less in the EV6. Why do car makers use this, it scratches by looking at it. Terrible stuff. Get it wrapped with clear or gloss black.
I think the piano black all over the outside is worse! I'm probably going to get that wrapped..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Besides the “piano” plastic (that deterred me from buying an Audi) is the smell of the cabin. After stepping out of my bmw, to the EV6s vegan leather seating. Too much off-gassing from all the plastics, not a premium smell, more of pleather odor

·
Registered
19 Posts
(caveat: I LOVE the car so far)

Agree on all points above, also not a fan of
  • rear visibility
  • no rear wiper
  • user profiles limited to 2+guest(not a huge deal)
  • UI is a bit awkward, not a showstopper

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,977 Posts
(caveat: I LOVE the car so far)

Agree on all points above, also not a fan of
  • rear visibility
  • no rear wiper
  • user profiles limited to 2+guest(not a huge deal)
  • UI is a bit awkward, not a showstopper
I was told they played with a rear wiper but the designers felt it spoilt the look of the rear of the car having a rear wiper.

It will be the first car I have had without rear wiper.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE #0882 Urban Yellow
123 Posts
I was told they played with a rear wiper but the designers felt it spoilt the look of the rear of the car having a rear wiper.

It will be the first car I have had without rear wiper.
It's my understanding that the vents in the rear spoiler are designed to push airflow down the rear window to clear it in place of a wiper, but I assume that's not effective at low speed.

I use RainX windshield washer fluid (not the more expensive RainX treatment) to wash my car windows and fill the reservoir. It is very effective at making water bead and roll off as well as making the wipers more effective (and eliminating streaks and squeaks). I am hoping this makes up for the missing rear wiper on the EV6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts