Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in conversation with two dealerships, one Kia and one Hyundai, and I am not getting a clear picture on how I would qualify and what I might need to do to make this happen. One dealership said I need to contact Electrify America and the other said it "just happens."

Neither scenario fills me with enthusiasm. Can anyone here clarify for me which cars get it, who administers it, and if we consumers need to do anything to ensure that we earn it?

TIA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you purchase an EV6 and register your kia connect app you will get a code to enter in the electrify america app for 1000kWh worth of free credit that is good for 3 years. This will get you 15-20 fillups. Not clear how Hyundai works.
Exactly, a fairly transparent process after establishing your Kia Connect account. I've noticed that the NFC reader for the EA app for IOS doesn't always work and it's necessary to initiate the charge from within the EA app.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man, Kia only giving 1000 kWh vs Hyundai giving years of free 30 min sessions kinda hurts, not gonna lie. I don't road trip a lot, but that could bea considerable savings for those who do. Wonder why they made that decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When you purchase an EV6 and register your kia connect app you will get a code to enter in the electrify america app for 1000kWh worth of free credit that is good for 3 years. This will get you 15-20 fillups. Not clear how Hyundai works.
would you happen to know if that's an US thing only? or if Canada buyers are getting a code as well?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
252 Posts
This is US only. In 49 (47???) states. Canada may, or may not, have it's own deals.

Kia: free 1000 KWh, to be used in the first three years.

Hyundai: Three years of unlimited 30 minute charging sessions. 30 minutes is plenty at 350 or even 150 KW.

Both say you're not allowed to use it for gig driving, so no buying your $60K car and driving for Uber on EA's dime. :p

Yes, I know the US has 50 states. For reasons, the free charging isn't available if you buy the car in Massachusetts. Are there EA charges in AK and HI?

Yes, the Hyundai is the better deal. But IMHO the Kia is the better car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Man, Kia only giving 1000 kWh vs Hyundai giving years of free 30 min sessions kinda hurts, not gonna lie. I don't road trip a lot, but that could bea considerable savings for those who do. Wonder why they made that decision.
I think part of the reason could be that it’s not the best for the batteries to be constantly charged via CCS. I ran into an ID4 owner at an EA rapid charger last week who said he gets unlimited free charging. He said he’s had his car for a year and he told me that he’s exclusively charged via CCS and he was complaining about his batteries not lasting as long as they did when they were new.
would you happen to know if that's an US thing only? or if Canada buyers are getting a code as well?
Sorry, I’m not sure if there’s any equivalent promotion in Canada.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can’t believe people complain about getting free charging, regardless of which car maker got what. They didn’t have to give us anything. It’s free! Use it, enjoy it, and be thankful you got it.
Dscoti, I actually can believe it. I'm in the throes of purchasing decisions right now, and it is essential to collect every shred of incentive possible. Just like the $7,500 rebate, the Elec credit is a commodity that helps us determine affordability. If I knew that one car was getting a significantly better credit than another, I'd look at it a bit sideways, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the 1000 hours available to all EV6 buyers at this time? I thought I saw something recently on this forum that said it was only for First Edition buyers, and I have not heard anything from the dealer about it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Kia: free 1000 KWh, to be used in the first three years.

Hyundai: Three years of unlimited 30 minute charging sessions. 30 minutes is plenty at 350 or even 150 KW.
I believe the Hyundai deal is for two years. So while it is clearly better for those who use the service frequently, the Kia deal may be better for those who rarely road trip, and would be pressed to use it all in two years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The first edition buyers had a choice of bonuses, one was 1000kWh. This is addition to the 1000kWh that everyone gets.
Thanks - Very good to know. I have not seen anything in writing a the Kia website or from a dealer so I'm still trying to figure it out. Is this only with a certain charging network? I was looking at VW ID.4 and their free charging is with Electrify America only, I believe - which makes sense since that's the network that VW is funding as penance for the mileage cheating scandal. But what about the Kia deal?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
The first 300 Canadian pre-order reservations include a package worth ~$1000 that includes a LVL 2 charger, $175 charge credit, and a membership to ChargeHub. I haven't heard of anything for those who ordered after the pre-order, but there will probably be something.

There are more details over in the Canada sub-forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks - Very good to know. I have not seen anything in writing a the Kia website or from a dealer so I'm still trying to figure it out. Is this only with a certain charging network? I was looking at VW ID.4 and their free charging is with Electrify America only, I believe - which makes sense since that's the network that VW is funding as penance for the mileage cheating scandal. But what about the Kia deal?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dscoti, I actually can believe it. I'm in the throes of purchasing decisions right now, and it is essential to collect every shred of incentive possible. Just like the $7,500 rebate, the Elec credit is a commodity that helps us determine affordability. If I knew that one car was getting a significantly better credit than another, I'd look at it a bit sideways, too.
The Hyundai MSRP is less than the Kia, Hyundai’s charging promotion is more generous. If getting the best deal is your primary goal, there’s no contest.
We bought the EV6 because in our eyes it looks better and warranty work (if needed) can be done locally.
We had a charge point flex installed in our garage. Our plan is to only use the car for local trips.
I didn’t consider the charging promotion as part of the deal. I’d rather come home and plug in rather than sit at the mall for half an hour for something free. As they say, time is money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Hyundai MSRP is less than the Kia, Hyundai’s charging promotion is more generous. If getting the best deal is your primary goal, there’s no contest.
We bought the EV6 because in our eyes it looks better and warranty work (if needed) can be done locally.
We had a charge point flex installed in our garage. Our plan is to only use the car for local trips.
I didn’t consider the charging promotion as part of the deal. I’d rather come home and plug in rather than sit at the mall for half an hour for something free. As they say, time is money.
Can you elaborate on the "warranty work done locally" part? How does this distinguish Kia from Hyundai?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts