10K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  arnsbrae 
#1 ·
1. Design & Style
2. 800 Volt architecture
3. 2WD = RWD
4. Vehicle to Load
5. 7 Year Warranty in Australia
A friend asked me yesterday: 'Why do you prefer the KIA EV6 over the VW ID.4?'
I listed the 5 above and now I'll expand a little. These are in my priority order.
1. Design & Style incorporates the Exterior AND Interior Design - I love it. From the short overhangs to the proportions of glasshouse to overall size; for me it looks great. Design also includes the 2900mm wheelbase and the packaging efficiency and interior room that allows. The dash with its 2 screens in a cohesive overall housing beats all the disparate designs out there for me.
Finally I really like the centre console layout, controls and the position of the wireless charger.
2. 800 Volt architecture includes the 100k's in 5 minutes, 80% in 18 minutes benefits. It will be some years before we can take full advantage of these features in Australia due to the slow non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure roll-out however if they're in the vehicle from day one = winning!
3. 2WD = RWD. I've driven RWD cars for 40 years. I've never found a situation where I needed AWD. So the dynamic advantages of a RWD vehicle are important to me. FWD was introduced for packaging efficiency and cost. These are non-events for EV's so why not have the advantages of RWD with the weight saving, larger frunk and less mechanical components to wear over time?
4. Vehicle to Load is self explanatory. I may never use it however the thought of having 1.5kW continuous for over 24 hours depending on the battery's initial state-of-charge is appealing.
5. 7 Year Warranty. In Australia, Kia leads the pack with their 7 Year Warranty. BMW here is still 3 years - most of the others are 5 including Hyundai. From what I can determine, we don't pay any more for the 7 year Warranty so why not have it?
The above are my opinions, yours may be different - vive la différence :)

See less See more
#2 ·
3. 2WD = RWD. I've driven RWD cars for 40 years. I've never found a situation where I needed AWD. So the dynamic advantages of a RWD vehicle are important to me. FWD was introduced for packaging efficiency and cost. These are non-events for EV's so why not have the advantages of RWD with the weight saving, larger frunk and less mechanical components to wear over time?
The VW ID.4 2WD model is also RWD, not FWD.

#3 ·
I have never found VW brand that appealing to me. While the ID.4 GTX was technically an interesting option (I live in Finland where I "need" or at least would want to have AWD 4 out of 12 months), didn't like its design at all.

For me, the competition was mainly between Hyundai and Kia. While the specs of IONIQ 5 and EV6 are almost equal as one could expect, I found the design of EV6 much more appealing than IONIQ 5. Moreover, I have been a satisfied Kia customer for two cars now. While it doesn't mean that I would never buy a car that is not Kia, positive experience does make it easier to buy a new one. Then there is that 7 versus 5 years between the two Koreans warranties, where seven years beats the hell out from the competitors including various "luxury" brands that do not trust their products that much.

V2L is an interesting bonus. In finland, its 3.6kW makes it possible to do just about everything everywhere, and I am yet to see what will be its most used application. At least I do add a powerful hairdryer to my winter survival package to get that charging port door open also in the most ugly winter weather where everything is frozen. Also, I frequently visit three cabins without electricity, where that option is just great.

#4 ·
You all bring valid points to the table that we (at least budget minded like me) should seriously consider. Also a long time fan of the Korean brands. The business models and communications lead me to question if FE's are worthy of investment but that can apply for almost any product. Call me frugal i am almost priced out/not ready to shell out $70K+, I will still closely monitor VW/AUDI platforms. Jury is still out so will wait and see how the Korean cousins overcome FE recall or issues and adjust to customer feedback for 2nd and later releases.

#10 ·
Since moving to KIA, I’ve gotten 3 Optima hybrids from them and the Stinger. All have held up well over the years. KIA was my choice mainly based on interior layout and space, the amount of technology incorporated in the vehicle based on price point, the fact that they had a more European driving feel than competitors and finally the warranty, should things go wrong.

I had a chance to check out a Model Y one of my friends got. First thing I noticed was the driver side rear door was mis aligned and the rear quarter panel was also out of alignment with the roof and trunk. I enjoyed the ride in it and was thrilled to go do a test drive of my own. The experience wasn’t great at the store. All the cars out front had mismatched paint on the bumper and body, plus panel gaps and misalignment. Inside, I found more of the same but kept an open mind and continued with the test drive. During the drive, I realized I had trouble seeing the screen, the road noise was loader than I would have thought, based on price point and it being an EV. My wife then found that there was a gap on one side of the roof lining, in which she could get her fingers into, while the other side was flush. Long story short, that killed it for us. I saw a few being delivered right off the truck, checked them out and it was the same. I checked a Model S to see if the $120k car was in better shape however, it was the same.

To me, I would get the EV6 over the Tesla as KIA has been striving to improve, and have shown their progress over the years. With the engine issues they are now having, they are repairing them and extending the warranty on them. Had the EV6 been out when I was looking into the e-tron, I would have most likely gotten one instead. I would love to see one in person but I don’t think there are any on displays at dealers here yet. I signed up to hear more about them, let’s hope they have them here soon.

#18 ·
We ordered a Tesla Model Y LR on 3/24/21 and took delivery of it on 3/31 (we're 200 mi south of the factory). The car had none of the paint/panel gaps, fit and finish problems that so many people complain about. And I looked very carefully before accepting it.

That said we're considering an EV6 for a second EV as Shannon's Volt is now 6 years old. Still going strong though and virtually no maintenance so we don't need to be in a rush. I also have ordered a Mach e Premium AWD as I personally really liked the handling and the looks of it. The wait list is long though and the EV6 may prove to be a better choice. Looking forward to checking one out in person in ~10 days.

#15 ·
Long time Soul owner who recently bought an ID.4 as a filler car while waiting for an EV6, Mach-E, or Model Y (all 6 month wait times).

My reasons for an EV6:

1) 800V car - fast charging and better performance.
2) Kia physical controls over the touch screen systems. Albeit Mach-E has the second most reasonable setup.
3) AWD with range and performance.
4) It's a Kia :)

The biggest reason against the EV6:

1) Being another beta tester on a first gen car. My ID.4 has some serious electrical glitches and I've heard similar (but fewer) for the Mach-E. Telsa has poor fit and finish problems but their drivetrain is "Toyota reliable". I'm fully expecting the car to glitch out and shut down at least once. It's first gen on a new 800V platform.
2) Electrify America and EVGo are pretty crappy DC charging networks. I tolerate them because I get free EA charging from the ID.4 but if I had to pay for it I'd be furious. Hyundai/Kia need to unshackle themselves from those third rate public charging networks and build ones to fully support 800V cars with improved reliability.

#16 ·
The EV6 Has A Great Powertrain And Performance

The Kia EV6’s interior gets an innovative appearance, and like the exterior, it’s nothing we've ever seen before. As you'd expect from a new model, the interior doesn't resemble any of its siblings. The EV6's interior features a floating center console that holds the infotainment system and cluster instruments. Also, the fully-digitized dashboard, sharpened steering, and faint gold accents give it a modern finish.

In regards to its powertrain, the EV6 will be offered in different blends based on battery size and rear/all-wheel drive. The smaller battery combines with a rear-wheel driving system producing 167 hp, while the optional larger battery pack joins with a rear-wheel drive to churn out 218 hp. If you go with an all-wheel-drive option, you'll get upwards of 313 hp with a large battery.

Speed-wise, the Kia EV6 can do 0 to 60 mph in about 5.1 seconds. This puts it at par with some of the quickest crossovers, and its quickness is one of the several reasons why the Kia EV6 might be a better bargain than the Ford Mustang Mach-E, its closest competitor.

gear honest

#17 ·
I've tried a Mach-e and it's a very nice car with a bit more space inside, but the handling is a bit mushy and quite SUV like. I haven't yet driven the EV6 but, from all the reviews I've seen, the handling may be more in line with what I want. The Mustang GT with the magneride dampers sounds like it has the handling I want but it's £67k compared with £52k for the most expensive GT-Line S, it also has bit less range. Looking forward to my test drive and I'll update on what I find. The charging speed is another big win for the Kia, even though the Mustang is no slouch. Several reviews I've seen have recorded sub-5 second 0-60 times for the Kia.

#19 ·
1. Charging speed, I like to take the occasional road trip
2. Reasonable sportiness, I don't need a Porsche Taycan like a car that handles well with sub 6 sec 0-60 times
3. Hatchback practicality
4. I find it very attractive looking
5. I like 360 cameras and I think I'll like the heads up display. Lots of nice features.

#21 ·
Well I voted with my wallet.
AUD$74,300 driveaway buys an EV6 AIR RWD in Oz.
I absolutely love the car. It's just won 'Wheels Car of the Year' which is a long running award down under.
From 35:00 in this YouTube, it's exactly the spec I own:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Can I claim the award for the world's tidiest Garage?
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

#22 ·
Tesla seems to overpromise and underdeliver — such as autonomous driving which after many years of hype still seems dicey.

I feel like Kia has overdelivered in many ways with the EV6 — the Smart Cruise, lane change, speed limit monitoring, etc. make it a nice semi-autonomous package, far better than I expected. This feels like a great balance between helpfulness but not overly taking control.

#24 ·
Frequency Selective Dampers - are they only for Australian delivered EV6?
The ride in my RWD AIR on 19" wheels is sublime and compliant - I suspect largely because of the ZF Sachs Frequency Selective Dampers.
See the Australian Chassis Tuning guru here: and
And read all about the ZF Sachs technology here - Page 7: https://www.zf.com/master/media/en/...nger_cars/2019_09_13_zf_dampingtechnology.pdf
Does any other market report this technology being used?

#25 ·
1. Design & Style
2. 800 Volt architecture
3. 2WD = RWD
4. Vehicle to Load
5. 7 Year Warranty in Australia
I listed the 5 above and now I'll expand a little. These are in my priority order.
1. Design & Style incorporates the Exterior AND Interior Design - I love it. From the short overhangs to the proportions of glasshouse to overall size; for me it looks great. Design also includes the 2900mm wheelbase and the packaging efficiency and interior room that allows. The dash with its 2 screens in a cohesive overall housing beats all the disparate designs out there for me.
Finally I really like the centre console layout, controls and the position of the wireless charger.
2. 800 Volt architecture includes the 100k's in 5 minutes, 80% in 18 minutes benefits. It will be some years before we can take full advantage of these features in Australia due to the slow non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure roll-out however if they're in the vehicle from day one = winning!
4. Vehicle to Load is self explanatory. I may never use it however the thought of having 1.5kW continuous for over 24 hours depending on the battery's initial state-of-charge is appealing.
5. 7 Year Warranty. In Australia, Kia leads the pack with their 7 Year Warranty. BMW here is still 3 years - most of the others are 5 including Hyundai. From what I can determine, we don't pay any more for the 7 year Warranty so why not have it?
The above are my opinions, yours may be different - vive la différence :)
It's interesting that in the US, both Kia and Hundai offer only 5-year base warranties. Seems that Kia alone, is offering 7 years in selective markets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.