Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting about two weeks ago, I noticed that the left side of the top-down camera view on my EV6 appears misaligned.
Hood Rectangle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font

This definitely was not the case for the first month and a half that I owned the car.

I took a look at my left mirror to see if it somehow wasn't unfolded all the way or if the camera somehow appeared to shift out of position, but I couldn't identify any issues there. And as you can see in this photo, the side camera view looks just fine, it's only the top-down view that looks off.

That, combined with the fact that I first noticed this just a few hours after I installed the April infotainment software update, makes me inclined to believe this is some kind of software issue.

Has anyone else noticed this after installing the April software update? It doesn't bother me much, but I'm curious to see whether or not this issue is isolated to my car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't received my car yet, but just a thought, can you remove the update or restore original settings and see if the image returns to normal, if so you know it's the software update, just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Existing owners please chip in, but I believe this may be as good as it gets. The images are stitched together and it will never get perfect. The further away from the car objects get, the more distorted will they get - however objects close to the vehicle should be accurate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Existing owners please chip in, but I believe this may be as good as it gets. The images are stitched together and it will never get perfect. The further away from the car objects get, the more distorted will they get - however objects close to the vehicle should be accurate.
I understand what you're saying, but he stated it wasn't like this until a few days ago and coincided with the update, I read a report that there is a bit of a blur on the edges, but he is talking about something different.

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
708 Posts
Fisheye lenses cause extreme curavture or show very odd skewing of straight lines if not perfectly aligned and leveled. Looking at that image, it reminds me of shooting with a fisheye on my camera, when either a) the earth curves away up/downhill to one side, or b) I don't center to the horizon.

Looking at that image, I'd first try repositioning the parking job and try doing the same test in other places to see if it always curves the same way. E.g. nose into the spot directly across from you and see if the curve still looks the same to you. Try the same test in a couple different parking lots.

Looking at the second image, it looks like the line isn't straight across from left to right. This would imply your car is perhaps leaning just a little bit (maybe even you as driver and nobody else in the car may be enough) or the lot may slope?

Anyways, to me it looks like an optics artifact to be ruled out before assuming it's a fault in the car, camera, or software. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, since it seems to be just me, blaming the software must be incorrect. :p I suppose it's a coincidence that this occurred around when I updated.

Looking at that image, I'd first try repositioning the parking job and try doing the same test in other places to see if it always curves the same way. E.g. nose into the spot directly across from you and see if the curve still looks the same to you. Try the same test in a couple different parking lots.
Thing is it initially looked perfect at all the usual places I park, but now it looks off like this in all those same places. So something on my car must have changed.

Well, now that we got that recall notice, I suppose I'll need to see the dealer before too long anyway, so I'll bring this up with them and see if they can somehow fix the alignment of the mirrors/cameras.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts