Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
GT-LINE Package 2 (Initial 200)
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada and currently own a Niro PHEV, which I charge in my garage using 110 V AC charging cable that came with the car. I don't drive a lot within the city, and this trickle charging suits my purpose. I have an EV6 on order to arrive in the spring. I hope to continue to trickle charge for in-town commuting and plan to use DC fast charging while on the road. My question: does the EV6 come with a 110 V AC compatible charging cable?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in Canada and currently own a Niro PHEV, which I charge in my garage using 110 V AC charging cable that came with the car. I don't drive a lot within the city, and this trickle charging suits my purpose. I have an EV6 on order to arrive in the spring. I hope to continue to trickle charge for in-town commuting and plan to use DC fast charging while on the road. My question: does the EV6 come with a 110 V AC compatible charging cable?
My EV6 FE order says: EV6 utilizes the CCS (Combined Charging System) charging connector type. This plug allows Level 1 (110v), Level 2 (240v) and DC Fast Charging. The EV6 has the world’s first multi-fast charging system (DCF charging system), enabling DC fast charging at 400-volts or up to 800-volts, which can add up to 210 miles of driving range in just 18 minutes* using a compatible 800-volt DC fast charger. For Level 2 (home style) charging, the high voltage battery can be fully recharged in 9.4 hours.*

It seems like the rear plug has 100 Volt prong receptacles.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
149 Posts
US cars are not supplied with any EVSE or cables, neither L1 (120V) or L2 (240V). It seems like in the rest of the world the EV6 comes with some type of EVSE. There are some L1/L2 combo EVSEs that can charge at 120V and 240V which is great for home and travel because it requires less cables to carry in the car. This also ensures that if you need an emergency charge on a trip, you are likely to have an outlet that you can plug in to. Some units even come with multiple plugin ends to match multiple NEMA plug types (5-15, 6-20, 14-50, etc.) which is even better. Some such units are Grizzl-e Mini, Megear with 5 adapters, Accell AxFAST 16A and Webasto TurboCord Dual. I am still searching for more but this is what I could find for now. Some of these are UL rated for safety which in my mind is important.

·
Registered
EV6 GT-Line AWD Yacht Blue
148 Posts
Is the Grizzl-e available anywhere? I see "coming soon" when I look for it.
I hear they stopped selling the Mini for now as it was not communicating with some EVs and wont be back in mkt till end of this yr. This would've been perfect EVSE for me, L1/L2 and UL.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am making a list of 120V/240V portable EVSEs, does anyone know of any other units besides those I have noted? I will share my spreadsheet once I have it more complete.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am making a list of 120V/240V portable EVSEs, does anyone know of any other units besides those I have noted? I will share my spreadsheet once I have it more complete.

I think these fit the bill? I'm looking for the same thing!
Couplago ,40 AMP (9.6 KW)- Dual Voltage -240V/120V, EV Charging Station - Level 2- EVSE- Charger for Electric Vehicles, You Set The AMPS- 40 AMP, 24 AMP or 12 AMP - 14-50R to 5-15P /120V Adapter, Opens in a new tab
$379.95

Human body Rectangle Font Art Circle

Pion power EVSE ...all they have so far is a u-tube video, but it sounds interesting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been doing a lot of looking and have come across these two that you can add to your list. As with you, one of my top priorities is UL certification and both of these indicate in some way that they are but of course, I won't know for sure until I actually buy one and see the official label on the charger. Both come with cases.
BougeRV - Amazon.com
Megear - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097DX8...olid=2BMZ7GEN1JM0Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Bouge unit has a CE/UL PLUG (p5 of the manual); the plug in the picture on Amazon is not molded onto the cord set, hence the (PLUG) in the manual.
The Megear unit looks like it plays the same tricks with regards to the plug - and, FWIW, the one one Amazon is a "Gen 1" unit. No manual ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Bouge unit has a CE/UL PLUG (p5 of the manual); the plug in the picture on Amazon is not molded onto the cord set, hence the (PLUG) in the manual.
The Megear unit looks like it plays the same tricks with regards to the plug - and, FWIW, the one one Amazon is a "Gen 1" unit. No manual ...
As I said in my earlier post, I've done a lot of looking but not as much understanding, I'm afraid. So I think I'm missing the point(s) you're trying to make. Are you saying that since the 5-15 plug for both the BougeRV and Megear is an adaptor and "not molded onto the cord set", that it's not as good and/or really UL listed?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is the list so far. Use it at your own risk especially if you are buying from Amazon. UL listed is preferable since it will pull a constant amperage.

NEMAUnit
BrandModelMax AmpsLength (ft)5-156-206-5014-3014-4014-5010-3010-50UL/CEIP RatingOutdoor UsePriceSource
AccellAxFAST 16A1624.6XXXNIP55Y$279.99Costco
Megear5 adapters1624.6XXXXXX?NIP54N$239.99Megear
WebastoTurboCord Dual1620XXULY$229.00Webasto
CouplagoDual Voltage2027XXCEIP66Y$379.95Amazon
MustartL2 Travelmaster NEMA 6-503225XXXXXXNIP55N$359.00Amazon
MustartL2 Travelmaster NEMA 5-153225XXXXXXXNIP55N$379.00Amazon
MustartL2 Travelmaster NEMA 14-503225XXXXXXNIP55N$359.00Amazon
BougeRVLevel 1-2 charger1625XXCEIP55N$199.95Amazon

·
Registered
54 Posts
As I said in my earlier post, I've done a lot of looking but not as much understanding, I'm afraid. So I think I'm missing the point(s) you're trying to make. Are you saying that since the 5-15 plug for both the BougeRV and Megear is an adaptor and "not molded onto the cord set", that it's not as good and/or really UL listed?
Take another look at the BougeRV unit listing on Amazon, particularly the fourth picture showing the plug attached to the cord near the control unit. Now scroll down to the "Product guides and documents" section of the list and click on the "User Manual" link. Look on page 5 and notice under the heading "Certification" it says "CE UL (PLUG)". Nowhere in the manual does it say the charging unit itself is UL or CE or ETL listed, just that plug that was attached to the control unit.

I can buy a plug like that at my local home improvement store and attach it to any random piece of electrical gear; doing so does NOT make that gear "listed". UL (or ETL) listing involves an extensive series of safety checks of an item - which could be a plug, a component of an EVSE, or an entire EVSE unit - performed by Underwriter's Laboratories and costs a goodly amount of money.

Draw your own conclusions ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Take another look at the BougeRV unit listing on Amazon, particularly the fourth picture showing the plug attached to the cord near the control unit. Now scroll down to the "Product guides and documents" section of the list and click on the "User Manual" link. Look on page 5 and notice under the heading "Certification" it says "CE UL (PLUG)". Nowhere in the manual does it say the charging unit itself is UL or CE or ETL listed, just that plug that was attached to the control unit.

I can buy a plug like that at my local home improvement store and attach it to any random piece of electrical gear; doing so does NOT make that gear "listed". UL (or ETL) listing involves an extensive series of safety checks of an item - which could be a plug, a component of an EVSE, or an entire EVSE unit - performed by Underwriter's Laboratories and costs a goodly amount of money.

Draw your own conclusions ...
When they say PLUG I assume they are only talking about the J1772 plug. I found the unit on BougeRV EV Charger Level 1-2 website and it is more specific to say the J1772 plug is UL certified and the main unit is CE marked. I updated my table to reflect the main EVSE unit's certification. I agree with you in I also question the safety of the NEMA 6-20 plug end since usually all plug ends on a commercial units are formed not the screw type found in home improvement stores.

It is very difficult to find a UL certified portable L1/L2 unit and I have found only 1 portable unit that has it. Hopefully more units will come out that carry UL cert and until then the best you can find is CE marked which means the manufacturer states that it meets EU requirements for sale but the testing self reported by the manufacturer versus tested by an independent lab like UL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Canada also. I took delivery of my EV6 in March 2022. There was a level 1 charger and cable in the car. They also sent me a level 2 charger by mail + $175. credit for further charging with Chargehub web site services.
Light Audio equipment Electricity Electrical wiring Adapter

·
Registered
GT-LINE Package 2 (Initial 200)
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also took delivery of my EV6 in March. I am pleased with the Level 2 charger. I live in Calgary. As far as I know, there are no charging networks that accept the ChargeHub credits in Alberta or BC. The most common network on Highway 3, which I use often is Flo. ChargeHub told me that they may add Flo in the future. Until then, my credits sit unused

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also took delivery of my EV6 in March. I am pleased with the Level 2 charger. I live in Calgary. As far as I know, there are no charging networks that accept the ChargeHub credits in Alberta or BC. The most common network on Highway 3, which I use often is Flo. ChargeHub told me that they may add Flo in the future. Until then, my credits sit unused
I'm in Ontario. Same here. I haven't used the credits yet. For long trips, I've used mostly PetroCan charging and Ivy. In August I'm going to New Brunswick and the trip through Quebec should be very easy. Most hotels I have reserved have charging stations and there are public chargers in many towns and cities.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts