Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have taken delivery of their EV6. I would like to know what the space is under the "trunk" floor. That lift up cover area. I am hoping someone could measure what the height of the space is as I am trying to see if I need to re-engineer the case for my portable charger which is about 3 inches tall. It's fine if you give me the height in mm, I prefer to work in metric anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this thread there's a post with pictures from mrkipling who says it's about 5".
Thanks for that. Judging by what they said about space I should be fine and don't need to go hunting for a lower height relay. Also like how it does in fact go back further based on this pic from mrkipling
Car Vehicle Trunk Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Plenty of room for charge plug adapters and the Tesla Tap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For those who have taken delivery of their EV6. I would like to know what the space is under the "trunk" floor. That lift up cover area. I am hoping someone could measure what the height of the space is as I am trying to see if I need to re-engineer the case for my portable charger which is about 3 inches tall. It's fine if you give me the height in mm, I prefer to work in metric anyway.
What is a "portable charger " please? And why would you need it for an EV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is a "portable charger " please? And why would you need it for an EV?
Portable charger is a cable that is required to charge your car. It will plug into your home receptacle depending where you are 220v (EU) or 110v (US) or you can pay to put in 240v (US) and use the enclosed charging cable as well to charge at a little higher rate. or put in a dedicated charging system and will not need the portable charging cable to charge at home. Also the portable cable is for when you do travel you are able to charge your vehicle if where you are staying do not have access the charging stations.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Portable charger is a cable that is required to charge your car. It will plug into your home receptacle depending where you are 220v (EU) or 110v (US) or you can pay to put in 240v (US) and use the enclosed charging cable as well to charge at a little higher rate. or put in a dedicated charging system and will not need the portable charging cable to charge at home. Also the portable cable is for when you do travel you are able to charge your vehicle if where you are staying do not have access the charging stations.
Thank you so its a charging cable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Based on photos I have seen, the charge cable can fit in the trunk or under the floor in the cargo area.
Only in the RWD non-Meridian cars as the "frunk" is too small in the AWD and the sub-woofer for the Meridian fits under the boot (trunk for country cousins;)) so sadly it will rattle around the top area.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One would think the sound insulation would dampen that. I don't hear my cable rattle around in the e-tron. Looking at the photo above, the cable should fit beneath the floor with no problem. That area at the rear of the vehicle is where the subwoofer is located, beneath that plastic cover. Maybe someone that has received their vehicle can speak to this on the EV6. I'm not sure about the UK cable and how long they provide but I have seen some videos with them being long, in some vehicles. With the number of DC fast chargers you guys have in the UK, do you travel with them all the time? I'll admit I drove around with mine in the early days of getting the e-tron before figuring out how things really worked with charging. Now it stays in the garage unless I am taking a long distance trip, where I want to have that security in case there are issues with DC fast chargers. One thing I have heard folks recommend is to buy a 50 ft, heavy duty extension cable when going to visit families and need to plug in at their house or camp sites that has NEMA 14-50 plugs available.

I think the false floor would be fine for the cables we get in the US

·
Registered
89 Posts
One would think the sound insulation would dampen that. I don't hear my cable rattle around in the e-tron. Looking at the photo above, the cable should fit beneath the floor with no problem. That area at the rear of the vehicle is where the subwoofer is located, beneath that plastic cover. Maybe someone that has received their vehicle can speak to this on the EV6. I'm not sure about the UK cable and how long they provide but I have seen some videos with them being long, in some vehicles. With the number of DC fast chargers you guys have in the UK, do you travel with them all the time? I'll admit I drove around with mine in the early days of getting the e-tron before figuring out how things really worked with charging. Now it stays in the garage unless I am taking a long distance trip, where I want to have that security in case there are issues with DC fast chargers. One thing I have heard folks recommend is to buy a 50 ft, heavy duty extension cable when going to visit families and need to plug in at their house or camp sites that has NEMA 14-50 plugs available.

I think the false floor would be fine for the cables we get in the US
We haven't got 50' gardens in the UK ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL! A lot of houses/townhouses have the washing machine upstairs, you might need to drop that out a window (hopefully not in the dead of winter) and run it out to the car. Not sure if you have read about folks that have street parking that have run cables from their place to the street to charge. Gotta do what you gotta do to get that charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
5" of extra depth should give you around 120 extra litres of trunk space. Is it already included in the specs? Or is it 490 + 120?

Still waiting for the banana box test though ;-)

·
Registered
156 Posts
They count everything they can, including the empty subwoofer space if you don't get the Meridian sound system. I'm sure they didn't forget to take credit for the space under the removable false floor. 😉

·
Registered
156 Posts
Am I right in thinking there's under-floor space to store the luggage area cover when it's not needed? (saves finding somewhere in the house or garage for it).
Yes, note in the picture above how the side widens below the access door for the emergency charge port door release. It also widens on the left side, and there's a small panel (barely visible in the lower left of that picture) that lifts out to make that cubby more accessible. The luggage cover fits across in this widened area towards the rear of the area below the false floor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Cataract2 contrary to what the one user in the Pistonheads thread claims, this reviewer measured only 8cm (3.15") additional space by removing the false floor:
Could be tight if that is true. It could be the person measure from bottom to very top instead of the bottom of where the cover would be.

Charger case is 8.25cm or 3.25 inch. Well, worse case I find a new case for it. Cross that bridge if I come to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts