Kia EV6 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's the massive cost of the chargers that needs to be paid for by the electricity (which is currently too cheap). Fast DC 350 kW chargers are around $100K to install.. and what are you making in profit per EV? Maybe a dollar or two over 15 minutes of charging.

Gas stations also don't make much on the gas itself (but still far more than EV charging) and have other profit centers like alcohol, lotteries, coffee, snacks, etc. These don't exist for the current charging station owners.

EV Charging needs to change and without profit... they will only be built by subsidies (i.e VW settlement) or investors looking for the next Amazon (EVGo and ChargePoint want to be the dominate hardware makers and service providers for apartments, fleets, corporate offices, etc)
I've had this discussion on a few messenger boards and my general thoughts:

1. I sincerely hope the supercharging network opens up to non-Teslas and will gladly pay a few hundred dollars for an adapter.
2. There might be major issues just due to the automatic hand shake not happening with a non-Tesla
3. Pricing might also be different for non-Tesla's and I would not be surprised in charging Teslas is prioritized if the station is busy.
4. I don't know why Tesla would do this (it is an advantage over their competitors), maybe to get access to federal funds for extending the network.
5. I have had terrible EA experiences, but in general they are getting better, trying hard and I have high hopes for the future. Musk was smart to get a CCS adapter out there as the supercharger advantage will likely become less over the upcoming years.
6). For me personally, I just don't like the no dashboard on Teslas and I place a high value on 360 cameras, a heads up display, a high JD powers ranking, long warrantee and lots of shops that can fix things...Tesla is pretty much just not for me. I too am mostly a commuter, but can occasionally twist my wife's arm to take the EV on a long trip (which we take a lot of...but it is hard to beat a V60 Volvo for comfort on a long trip)

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are opening up Superchargers in Netherlands... as a test.

Of course EV charging costs are crazy high in Europe (close to $1USD per kWh and Tesla says there is a surcharge on top of this) and all EVs use the CCS2 connector - even Teslas.

Folks have to create an Tesla account and use the Tesla app to initiate the charge.

Honestly, I don't see this as a bad thing in the long-run now if this happened in the US. It could kill off the terrible system that is Electrify America... that only exists because of the VW settlement (funds will run out in a few years) and has no motive to improve service nor make a profit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no doubt that the supercharger network is a big plus for Tesla, as well as the tight integration of the charger locations with the navigation....Clearly, the fast charger network and the route planning integration are going to be a key issue for any EV manufacturer to sell to those that want to be able to take trips and charge away from home....That said, there does not seem to be a lot of discussion of the need to expand the USA charging network going on with the non-Tesla manufacturers, or maybe I am just not well informed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are opening up Superchargers in Netherlands... as a test.

Of course EV charging costs are crazy high in Europe (close to $1USD per kWh and Tesla says there is a surcharge on top of this) and all EVs use the CCS2 connector - even Teslas.

Folks have to create an Tesla account and use the Tesla app to initiate the charge.

Honestly, I don't see this as a bad thing in the long-run now if this happened in the US. It could kill off the terrible system that is Electrify America... that only exists because of the VW settlement (funds will run out in a few years) and has no motive to improve service nor make a profit.
They also are charging non-Tesla cars more....Pricing will be interesting to follow

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
It appears that the Ioniq 5 pricing and pre-ordering is now active in Canada --- top of the line at 62,000 Canadian (approx $50 K US). One would hope that presages similar on the US Hyundai/Kia sites. Pre-order the all-new IONIQ 5
I believe that they are taking orders just like we did in May and Canada did two weeks ago.

As for the pricing, cars are always less money in Canada than in the US. Not sure why but probably tariffs and taxes. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe that they are taking orders just like we did in May and Canada did two weeks ago.

As for the pricing, cars are always less money in Canada than in the US. Not sure why but probably tariffs and taxes. LOL
Unless i am misreading it, this is more extensive than a FE type situation. Prices for all trims. Although "limited quantities". Notes that delivery is mid-2022.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Sure about that? Our sales taxes are higher (5-15%) and our freight/PDI are higher ($1400-$2100). We sometimes lack features that US cars have. Plus our other fees (A/C excise tax, tire and battery levy or in Ontario, some OMVIC fee).

Grass is greener type thing?:LOL:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was trying to guestimate the Canadian EV6 pricing by comparing varous countries' prices, looking at exchange rates, etc. Based on exchange rates, similar cars are about 3-5% cheaper in the US, before taxes. Might be related to Canadian websites usually including freight and PDI though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did a quick compare between the highest trims for a few different kia cars.. First price is CA while second is US

1. Kia Stinger GT Elite/GT2: CAD 53,295/ USD 51,290
  2. Niro SX Touring/ EX Premium: CAD 54,695/ USD 31,990
  3. Telluride SX Limited Nightsky/ SX: CAD 56,195/ USD 42, 690

The base version of each trim seems to be a lower number in US compared to CA. So we can expect a sub USD 60k EV6 in US assuming Kia does not flip this on its head for EV6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no doubt that the supercharger network is a big plus for Tesla, as well as the tight integration of the charger locations with the navigation....Clearly, the fast charger network and the route planning integration are going to be a key issue for any EV manufacturer to sell to those that want to be able to take trips and charge away from home....That said, there does not seem to be a lot of discussion of the need to expand the USA charging network going on with the non-Tesla manufacturers, or maybe I am just not well informed.
So 7.5 billion has now been allocated for US charging infrastructure. This has been approved by both branches of US congress, so this is a "done deal"
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/biden-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-ev-charging-us-house/

The proposed new EV car incentives are part of a different proposed bill, so those are still being debated.

181 - 200 of 299 Posts