Kia EV6 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tesla certainly had a good start on their powertrain and have been improving them over time. Seems like the cooling system in a number of EVs are having issues. My e tron also had an issue with the coolant valve however, mine showed up as an issue with the car not charging. First at DC fast charge sites, they reset the system, then it wouldn’t charge at home.

All manufacturers vehicles have some sort of issue, even today. An engine wins a design award and later in its life cycle develops issues. Transmission, suspension, electronics. No car brand has a perfect track record, but they work on making a good product. Some stand behind them with a long warranty to provide some piece of mind. Yeah, it sucks when you‘re the one affected and KIA isn’t a luxury brand but they do back their vehicles with a long warranty and are improving over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a 2017 chevy bolt owner. (Affected by battery recall due to battery fires). I'm in the midst of the buyback process. For a replacement, I'm considering Audi Q4 etron, Tesla Model 3, and KIA EV6. At this point, I would say biggest plus for Tesla is nothing in the car is first model year, and the supercharger network. Biggest minus is initial build quality problems and a still somewhat immature service network. Both Q4 etron and EV6 will be first model year(the biggest negative for both), but they both are released in Europe now, so there is some shakeout going on there that US buyers will benefit from. The biggest plus I see for EV6 is extremely well thought out technology and an expected high reliability. The biggest plus I see for Audi is an track record of excellent engineering and technology and best-of breed fit and finish (full disclosure - my wife's car is an ICE Audi A4). The Q4 etron is also based on the same platform as the VW id.4, so there is perhaps an extra amount of evolution present in it, whereas the EV6 truly has many brand new features (including the 800V battery). Real world reviews and road tests in Europe are available for both the Audi and the Kia, and they are both very positive, with the EV6 clearly setting an entirely new level of expectation for Kia - the reviews are particularly glowing for the EV6.

I took a chance on GM and the Bolt, and am very pleased with everything about it, except of course: LG (GM's battery partner) failed to execute on manufacturing quality assurance, and the result is the huge mess that has resulted in the fires and GM/LG having to replace the batteries in every Bolt that has ever been manufactured....At the time I bought the Bolt, all of the reviewers were in absolute awe of what GM had achieved, and rightly so. It was a very significant achievement, and they hit a home run on every level....except for the battery fires.

So the decision for this next purchase for me is very much about how much risk to take on new designs, that clearly are showing some incredible forward progress and promise, vs. the risk of the new. So far, I am still reading and thinking. (I have many weeks to wait before GM actually makes me an offer on the bolt buyback, and none of the three cars I mentioned will be available until Q1 next year at the earliest, best I can tell.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it is fair to say that all EVs have had some teething issues. The tech is still pretty new. I'm also a Bolt buy back beneficiary. I will say that I thought it was very nice of GM to buy my Bolt back...I basically got what I paid for it if you consider the 7500 rebate I received when I purchased the car. One of the reasons I am KIA EV6 focused is the 7500 rebate. My general approach is that EVs are getting better so rapidly that I am willing to get a new model and deal with new model issues.

·
Registered
'20 Santafe
5 Posts
Purchasing an EV will be a change for me and possibly a risky one. The EV6 is at the top of my list of 3 that being IONIQ 5, and GV60. I will test drive each and then go with whichever suits me better. My current concern is with the agreement Hyundai/Kia has with electrify america, not a big concern it's just that at present time the closest EA is 35miles from where I live. So presently it looks like I may not be able to use the 2yrs of charging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I note that a UK gentleman who ordered on 11th April 2021 just posted the following:

spoke to my dealer yesterday and they told me the following
1. The first batch of customer allocated EV6 in the UK are imminent.
2. UK dealers should start to get their demonstrator EVs from w/c 18th October.
3. The first set of customers who ordered the EV6 will get the chance to test drive one starting from /c 18th October, and if they are happy confirm the purchase at which case their EV6 will be shipped to the dealer from a holding area. (I guess if they don't won't to go ahead their EV6 can be allocated to those in the queue).
4. Some 'fleet buyers' don't require a test driver to confirm, so those will be shipped to the dealers with those in w/c 18th October.
5. My EV6 - a GT Line S is amongst the first batch.

So -- an approximate 6 to 7 months from order to arrival.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Purchasing an EV will be a change for me and possibly a risky one. The EV6 is at the top of my list of 3 that being IONIQ 5, and GV60. I will test drive each and then go with whichever suits me better. My current concern is with the agreement Hyundai/Kia has with electrify america, not a big concern it's just that at present time the closest EA is 35miles from where I live. So presently it looks like I may not be able to use the 2yrs of charging.
Hey encode2, with regard to the free DC fast charging credits for the Hyundai/KIA vehicles, you can save those for when you have to do long trips and need to get back on the road with a quick charge. Charging at home is better for the batteries, rather than constant fast charging. I think a lot of people are thinking of using fast charge stations like a gas station as they might not have the facilities at "home" (be it house, apartment or condo), to do an overnight charge. Audi gives us 1000 kWh of free charging on the e-tron and I use mine whenever I take road trips. There is a station about 1/2 mile from where I live and I rarely used it. For my commute, I charge at home and depending on if I take the highway or drive locally, I may need another charge before the week is out.

I do charge it on Friday nights to have it ready if I need to run errands or use the vehicle on the weekends. Have to give some love to the Optima Hybrid as well, she needs a work out from time to time to wake her up from my wife's driving. Plus, it's nice to get back in my lowered ride and use the sport mode from time to time. :) I wouldn't worry about not using the credits, I'm certain once you get that EV, you will want to take some road trips with it to test out the range and make use of them.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
20 Posts
Waynerm002; A question for you? (or anyone else that might know) On your Audi after you have done a "quick charge" is the car's performance retarded as a result of the heat build up from the quick charging? I believe it is known in the EV world as "thermal throttling". Apparently it is / can be used as safeguard to allow the battery to cool following a quick charge charging session. Not sure if it is a safeguard used by all EV manufacturers or not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only thing I have noticed a couple of times when I charge it to 100 at a fast charge station, is that it will not allow any regen. This was when I was getting used to the car, now I will disconnect at 95%. I now follow the recommended charge from ABRP and add a bit more for a buffer for going up mountain passes. On the flats, going out to San Diego, the station are 115 to 130 miles apart, at the speed I drive I should get 184 miles out of a full charge however, with how unreliable the charge stations can be and distance to the next, I'm doing my best to maximize the range. This means I keep it out the boost range and leave in efficiency which is still good for my driving. When I took that SD trip it was July and the temps were 117 degrees, if there was ever a time for thermal throttling, that would have been it but the car was fine the entire trip.

With the range of the new cars, and expected charging station build out, there should be places to charge to get to the next station with out needing to do a full charge and have that occur. The cooling system for the battery should be preventing that from happening, unless there is some type of failure in the system. The majority of my charges are done to 80% in my garage, sometimes to 90% if I know I am going on a long drive over the weekend to an area that lacks charge points or have questionable sites.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
What are we really talking about when people say Q1 for the ev6us? Is Jan a reasonable expectation?
Hey Jayswilk06, happy Tuesday.

So, the January deliveries will be the 1,500 First Editions that have been reserved. I'm expecting more than 90% of those to sell the day they hit the lot.

My expectation is that I will be able to start taking orders for EV6's over and above the FE's in the Nov-Dec time frame which would put deliveries starting around the March to April time frame.

All of this is my speculation. I started selling Kia's just over 20 years ago and am pretty in tune with things as they are happening.

·
Registered
39 Posts

So, the January deliveries will be the 1,500 First Editions that have been reserved. I'm expecting more than 90% of those to sell the day they hit the lot.

My expectation is that I will be able to start taking orders for EV6's over and above the FE's in the Nov-Dec time frame which would put deliveries starting around the March to April time frame.

All of this is my speculation. I started selling Kia's just over 20 years ago and am pretty in tune with things as they are happening.
What do you think the odds are of a January delivery? I have a reservation, but am leery of putting too much faith in the January delivery date. Hoping for the best but planning for the worse! I'll admit to be a bit tired of being in a one car household.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Awesome. I've got a first edition reservation so that's good news/speculation. I've for a reservation for a Tesla MYLR and the ev6. Unless something goes terribly wrong, I plan on losing my $200 with Tesla and taking the ev6.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Side question that I don't know if you could answer. So, for those of us on the wait list. If someone were to not use their 1 of 1500 reservations and it goes to the wait list. Does it go down in order on the wait list or would those 1500 already be out to their respective dealers and those who are on the wait list with their chosen dealer then get the option?

Basically, when I filled out the wait list I had to chose a dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Side question that I don't know if you could answer. So, for those of us on the wait list. If someone were to not use their 1 of 1500 reservations and it goes to the wait list. Does it go down in order on the wait list or would those 1500 already be out to their respective dealers and those who are on the wait list with their chosen dealer then get the option?

Basically, when I filled out the wait list I had to chose a dealer.
So, I don't know the definite answer to your question but I will tell you what I BELIEVE happened when you got on the wait list...

I believe that everyone that signed up after the reservations signed up to be on a list that each dealer will receive as "INTERESTED" customers to contact for either a back-out on a reservation OR (and more likely in my opinion) to be contacted to see if you're interested in placing an order for the 2nd wave of EV6's that will hit the US.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Awesome. I've got a first edition reservation so that's good news/speculation. I've for a reservation for a Tesla MYLR and the ev6. Unless something goes terribly wrong, I plan on losing my $200 with Tesla and taking the ev6.
That's DUMB that Elon will keep your deposit if you change your mind. Disappoints me...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, I don't know the definite answer to your question but I will tell you what I BELIEVE happened when you got on the wait list...

I believe that everyone that signed up after the reservations signed up to be on a list that each dealer will receive as "INTERESTED" customers to contact for either a back-out on a reservation OR (and more likely in my opinion) to be contacted to see if you're interested in placing an order for the 2nd wave of EV6's that will hit the US.
Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking would happen, but wanted to see if maybe someone more in the know might agree with that. Not holding you to it or anything.

Certainly waiting impatiently and would prefer to be in the 2nd wave to get the color I want, but wouldn't say no to a FE (unless the color was the yellow one or that (ug) green interior).

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's DUMB that Elon will keep your deposit if you change your mind. Disappoints me...
That's one of the reasons why I haven't put a deposit on the Model Y even though I have my Bolt in the buyback process. Even though the delivery date for the Model Y is way out, it's just not worth losing $250 like that. At least the Kia one was $100 and refundable. Sadly, I didn't put in for it in time to do more than the wait list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I haven't put a deposit on the Model Y even though I have my Bolt in the buyback process. Even though the delivery date for the Model Y is way out, it's just not worth losing $250 like that. At least the Kia one was $100 and refundable. Sadly, I didn't put in for it in time to do more than the wait list.
It's an "Tesla order fee" not a deposit.

For the Ford Mach-E, it's $500 and the refund is at the discretion of the dealer. I have orders with them and it's my hedge if the EV6 doesn't arrive by June/July/August 2022...
Currently, Ford dealers most likely will return your deposit because they can sell your Mach-E at $5K over MSRP. I just tried to transfer somebody's GT order (not officially allowed) to me but the dealer is going to markup by $5K since it is deemed a canceled order.

As for the Model Y.. seriously.. folks with a 2021 delivery date should just accept delivery and sell it $3-4K over the out the door price (including taxes) to Carvana/Vroom/Carmax. The market is nuts. The Model Y "MSRP" has already increased $4K this year so those who locked in - during the spring 2021 could pocket $8K. New order wait times are April 2022. I have a delivery in Dec and was on the fence about it but will probably accept and flip the car when either the EV6 or Mach-E arrive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's an "Tesla order fee" not a deposit.

For the Ford Mach-E, it's $500 and the refund is at the discretion of the dealer. I have orders with them and it's my hedge if the EV6 doesn't arrive by June/July/August 2022...
Currently, Ford dealers most likely will return your deposit because they can sell your Mach-E at $5K over MSRP. I just tried to transfer somebody's GT order (not officially allowed) to me but the dealer is going to markup by $5K since it is deemed a canceled order.

As for the Model Y.. seriously.. folks with a 2021 delivery date should just accept delivery and sell it $3-4K over the out the door price (including taxes) to Carvana/Vroom/Carmax. The market is nuts. The Model Y "MSRP" has already increased $4K this year so those who locked in - during the spring 2021 could pocket $8K. New order wait times are April 2022. I have a delivery in Dec and was on the fence about it but will probably accept and flip the car when either the EV6 or Mach-E arrive.
Potato Patoto. Depost Order Fee. Same difference. Market is certainly nuts. I only want to do this once as I didn't want to do the buyback on the Bolt which is a fun car to drive. But the restrictions have spread and made it not very usable IMO so, here I am. Just glad there is another EV that interests me.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts