Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a big disappointment. Did Kia corporate confirm they won't add them for the 2023 model year?
No Sir. I'm speaking from my own personal experience. They have a supplier contract for the current US headlight set up and the chances of this changing before the 25 refresh is very slim.

·
Registered
607 Posts
No Sir. I'm speaking from my own personal experience. They have a supplier contract for the current US headlight set up and the chances of this changing before the 25 refresh is very slim.
Ok that makes sense but they're already building EV6 GT-Lines with adaptive headlights for the European market so if it's the same supplier for both types of headlights, couldn't they just ask them to supply more adaptive headlights for US spec models and less of the non-adaptive ones?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that makes sense but they're already building EV6 GT-Lines with adaptive headlights for the European market so if it's the same supplier for both types of headlights, couldn't they just ask them to supply more adaptive headlights for US spec models and less of the non-adaptive ones?
They have probably agreed to purchase 40k of them under contract. I'm very confident that they won't change in the near future but I've been wrong TONS of times lately so.....

What’s turn around time?
For an order, you're probably looking around Q1 of 23.

What does this mean exactly? Is there someplace on Kia's website where I can order a car? Or I can walk into a dealer and they can order the car I want?
You cannot order from Kia directly. You have to order from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
Yacht Blue GT-Line AWD
201 Posts
Hah, it was the right thread... I need more coffee.

I am a headlight designer and our OEMs haven't budged on bringing out ADBs to the US market. Maaaaybe in the next three years, but I haven't heard even whispers about it. If the manufacturer already has capability for ADB on their production lines, programming the ADB unit for FMVSS shouldn't be too hard; I would imagine that development would take about a year. It's all about when the OEM wants to kick it off, and with all the red tape it would have to go through, I could see them waiting until the midcycle refresh for rolling it out.

Congrats to all who are able to order!

·
Registered
607 Posts
They have probably agreed to purchase 40k of them under contract. I'm very confident that they won't change in the near future but I've been wrong TONS of times lately so.....

For an order, you're probably looking around Q1 of 23.
Thanks for the explanation about the headlights.

So are you ordering 2023 models not 2022? Does it specifically say 2023 in the Kia ordering system or are you ordering 2022s and then they'll get switches to 2023s if they're not manufactured before the cutover to 2023?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the explanation about the headlights.

So are you ordering 2023 models not 2022? Does it specifically say 2023 in the Kia ordering system or are you ordering 2022s and then they'll get switches to 2023s if they're not manufactured before the cutover to 2023?
These are ACTUAL orders for 2022's. They will get switched to 23's once they cut off 22's.

I'm estimating that they will switch to 2023 in around Sept of this year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can confirm that orders can be placed via the dealer. I called my local dealer, and the sales guy had to check. He did confirm that it can be placed now. Told me he thinks it'll take 3-5 months for delivery. I didn't place an order yet because he mentioned his dealer charges $898 fee over MSRP.

·
Registered
GT-Line.
490 Posts
Hah, it was the right thread... I need more coffee.

I am a headlight designer and our OEMs haven't budged on bringing out ADBs to the US market. Maaaaybe in the next three years, but I haven't heard even whisper about it. If the manufacturer already has the capability for ADB on their production lines, programming the ADB unit for FMVSS shouldn't be too hard; I would imagine that development would take about a year. It's all about when the OEM wants to kick it off, and with all the red tape it would have to go through, I could see them waiting until the midcycle refresh for rolling it out.

Congrats to all who are able to order!
ADB and non-ADB units seem to be about the same size, I wonder if the part can be swapped out and installed? The difficulty will have to be with programing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ADB and non-ADB units seem to be about the same size, I wonder if the part can be swapped out and installed? The difficulty will have to be with programing.
I'm guessing that they have different wiring harness connectors and thus probably won't simply swap.

·
Registered
607 Posts
These are ACTUAL orders for 2022's. They will get switched to 23's once they cut off 22's.

I'm estimating that they will switch to 2023 in around Sept of this year.
A Sept cutoff for 2022 models, that sounds late but then again the US didn't start getting 2022s until February. I would have expected the 2022 ordering cutoff to be end of June.

So I have to ask this question as a person who works in I.T. because we are always thinking of "what if" scenarios. What happens if you order a color like Yacht Blue and Kia decides not to offer it in the 2023 model year? Does the dealer who placed the order for you get contacted by the factory to switch the color?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A Sept cutoff for 2022 models, that sounds late but then again the US didn't start getting 2022s until February. I would have expected the 2022 ordering cutoff to be end of June.

So I have to ask this question as a person who works in I.T. because we are always thinking of "what if" scenarios. What happens if you order a color like Yacht Blue and Kia decides not to offer it in the 2023 model year? Does the dealer who placed the order for you get contacted by the factory to switch the color?
This actually happens every once in a while. The factory doesn't care honestly. They simply delete the remaining 22 orders and each dealer is responsible for putting them back in as 23's and contacting the guests with any differences.

From my experience, it will have the same body-side coupler, but it will be enabled through CAN bus coding.
I know on my Stinger that I wanted to swap to the adaptive lighting from a GT2 to my GT and the whole harness was different. shrugs

1 - 20 of 55 Posts