Kia EV6 Forum banner
221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
What size drive will I need?
32-64GB

What about formatting?
The software you use to download the update will take care of that for you.

Is the software specific to the EV6?
Yes.

Is it necessary to install previous updates or can I just get the latest one?
Just the latest.

Lastly, does anyone have a link to the download page?
update.kia.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I found everything and downloaded the file on my computer. I'm not understanding what I need. Do I need a USB or an SD card or both? Is there an SD card port in the EV6?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
307 Posts
The most recent update was JUST ABOVE 32 GB, so a 32 GB drive definitely won't work. My biggest USB drive was 32 GB, and it was too small. I had to buy something larger. You must have at least a 64 GB drive.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oh man. Can you imagine the time and cost it would take to ship a 32+GB update OTA over the cell connection? I'm sure they'd work it out into chunks and probably only while on WiFi, but that'd be totally reasonable to leave happening overnight while charging.

·
Registered
194 Posts
One reason OTA is not popular for the manufacturers is size, that's true. But unless they are lazy and have a good data plan with the cell provider they do binary patching. It's more work to test and verify but not rocket science.

But if you want to make sure the diff packages is as small as possible, the compiled (binary) files should be as similar as possible. Which may not be true for many reasons. But for the application itself this may not be a considerable issue.

Maps is the culprit here. I'd guess 90% of the 32G update is related to maps. This is kinda easy to check if you look at the created USB stick (which I don't have handy right now. I got myself curious now). Updates of the maps may not be done OTA until they are needed by the user which for a lot of the maps are "never" and saves a lot of bits to send. You may never find yourself driving in Spain if you live in Norway, alas you don't really need an updated map for southern Europe. Probably neither eastern nor middle aswell.

OTA should provide the possibilites to update software alot more often than having to drive to the shop or download a USB image, but because it's a lot of work making sure you don't brick the car they will do it as few times as possible. The platform we use do not update parts of the car that would make it undriveable, but the users would not really differ between black screens and seemingly nothing happening and a car that can only drive on a flatbed. They would be annoyed.

Quick fixes of small parts should be easy to send OTA, but if you are too relaxed and do this too often you will end up with hybris and black screens. This happens to all software companies.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Do you have the numbers? I went to my dealer for the safety recall last week and I asked if there was any other updates available andvhe said no. Guess didn't really check
You update this one on your own, not at the dealer.

It’s 32Gb so you’ll need a large enough USB stick. Download the navigation updater tool first (from the same website) before downloading this update

·
Registered
5 Posts
Downloaded the zip file for the Navigation Updater Installer onto my Mac, but when I go to unzip the file, I get an error message: "
“NavigationUpdaterInstaller” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

Did anyone else run into this? Maybe just a Chrome issue?

221 - 240 of 250 Posts