Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have had an e niro 64 kWh for a year and love it so much I'm getting an EV 6 delivered in a few weeks. One thing that puzzles me is that the quoted battery capacity is 77.4kWh and I am sure this was originally described as usable capacity. I see some ev6s being sold by dealers in UK and they are quoting usable capacity of 64kWh. Anyone know which is the actual figure. I cannot really imagine that 64 is correct as achieving around 320 miles on a charge would mean an efficiency of 5 miles per kWh which is not in line with Kia figures. Thx. Richard

Registered
GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
@twiggydog I use EV Database. Their figures are usually pretty accurate "real world" (The EV6 range figures shown are provisional pending testing).

Figures show that the car has 77.4 kWh usable (82.5 kWh capacity)

John.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

Registered
GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
Thx for that. It seems insane for a kia dealer to quote significantly lower figures when selling a brand new car. See attached from their autotrader advert. View attachment 580
A lack of attention to detail I would say - You could always ask them how they determined the 62kWh figure, and to please show you the calculations. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John

Registered
I've not seen where Hyundai/Kia have detailed whether the specified numbers for the E-GMP platform are usable or nominal, or how much buffer there is. Most in the press have assumed them to be usable, and have guessed at the nominal value. An Ioniq 5 battery had recently been torn down, and it's now believed that the spec'd numbers are gross:
With the current knowledge we assume that the 58 kWh, 72.6 kWh and 77.4 kWh battery capacity are the total values (a few percent less is usable). Initially, we were not sure and guessed that those are net values.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not seen where Hyundai/Kia have detailed whether the specified numbers for the E-GMP platform are usable or nominal, or how much buffer there is. Most in the press have assumed them to be usable, and have guessed at the nominal value. An Ioniq 5 battery had recently been torn down, and it's now believed that the spec'd numbers are gross:
As with the EV6 I always understood the Kia E Niro 64kWh (which I currently own) has a usable 64kWh battery. Dealers selling the car on Autotrader are claiming usable to be 52kWh (see attached). I regularly achieve 280 miles plus on a charge on a combined cycle cruising at 70 mph and using auto regen. This equates to about 4.4 miles per kWh (280/64) which is broadly in line with the car OBC. If it were a usable 52kWh battery then it would be 5.4 miles per kWh (280/52) which I don't believe is realistic and certainly doesn't tally with the OBC although interestingly/strangely the 5.4 figure is broadly in line with the Kia UVO app figure. Certainly the car charger records an input close to 64kWh when I charge from near empty although that could be down to charging losses I guess. I feel this is important because it will inevitably be a major consideration when people decide what EV to buy and I imagine they will end to think the bigger the usable battery the better. It also feels like it is a pretty key figure when trying to understand the true efficiency of the vehicle day to day.

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

Registered
2022 KIA EV6 AWD WIND
@twiggydog I use EV Database. Their figures are usually pretty accurate "real world" (The EV6 range figures shown are provisional pending testing).

Figures show that the car has 77.4 kWh usable (82.5 kWh capacity)

John.

View attachment 579
Thank you for the INFO. Much appreciated, however I have been driving my 2022 KIA EV6 AWD Wind with nearly 13Kmiles mostly driven in-state. However, I feel that dealers are likely already looking to protect themselves perhaps from complaints and possibly even lawsuits considering, I am getting nowhere near 255 Miles of range. From the last dealership software update I have seen a significant drop in range capability especially when using certified SuperCharging stations such as ElectrifyAmerica, many of which have dropped their ability to charge from 350KW charges to only seeing them averaging 50-90kWH while battery was under 80% battery capacity.

In all honesty, I have been checking various charging station brands around the Colorado area and power fluctuations are pretty considerable especially on hot summer days. I have noticed that I get much better battery charging capacity on my EV6 Wind when a charge during the LATE evenings on extremely HOT summer days, like after 10pm. Not sure if this is the reason, but I鈥檝e been getting far better reliability in range when I go to EVgo or even High Power ChargePoint stations across the Rocky Mountain I-25 corridor. However, I have had to significantly change my driving habits in order to exceed 220-230 mile rang capacity, such as using AC for like 15-20minutes then circulating the air for 10minutes before it begins to blow warm air. I also have a lead foot so I have had to reduce my average driving speed from 80-85 mph to 65-75mph. In doing so I have noticed a significant reduction in range loss when I use ReGen Braking system at levels 1-2 all the time, but this is not ideal when you get tired and just let the Superb KIA Driving Assist kick in and do most of the work for you. I would like to see the KIA driving assist utilize the ReGen breaking with ability to change/set levels as you see fit based on terrain (something the genius software developers can fix, I鈥檓 sure). Typically I have only used ReGen Braking levels 3-4 when going downhill only, since it is the only time I have seen range miles added (usually just 1-3miles added if that), but must consider the amount of energy being currently used while moving. IMO, KIA engineers can benefit significantly if they change the ReGen breaking system all-together and help increase the range considerably because I give KIA current ReGen breaking system on the EV6 a D+ when compared to other automakers ReGen breaking systems, something I have also discussed with many EV owners while charging. It is obvious that if EVs are to become the growing trend, then the US Federal gov鈥檛 has to make solar cell efficiency increases exponentially if we are to avoid Power Grid failures in the future nationwide. Bridging the gap by adding solar cells to MoonRoof鈥檚 is now becoming a moral imperative that everyone should/must write their local Governor鈥檚/politician鈥檚 about in order to make a significant change sooner rather then later. It is obvious that not all automakers are on board in doing this and dragging their feet to get more government incentives to do so, IMO.

For the past 4 months I have seen an average range capacity drop on my EV6 from 235 miles down to 200-210 on a full 100% charge. When I charged my EV6 to 100% which was only a few of times the first couple of months, I鈥檝e never seen 255 mile range as advertised and have told dealerships about this, but many just throw their hands up and don鈥檛 have a clue as to why. Now I know that it is not good for your battery to charge fully at 100%, but I have found that I have had no choice after the last couple of KIA updates (May/Junes) I have seen my range fall well below market capacity of 200 miles or less鈥ot cool. After only getting 1000 miles of free charging from ElectrifyAmerica, I got to the point that I have found their services to be unreliable for my charging needs, thus I have tuned-in, turned-on and dropped out in supporting their services and find that many KIA owners are getting screwed by local dealers when I here multiple white Hyundai EV owners (Ioniq5) have been offered 2 years of free charging from ElectrifyAmerica while minorities are not getting practically no deals for charging whatsoever.

Now going into the hottest month of the summer I am only getting 205-215 miles range or less, even worse mileage range when I use ElectrifyAmerica locations, which are the most convenient, unfortunately. While at charging stations I make an effort to talk to other EV owners and try to compare what they say in their ranges and many have also concluded they have seen a reduction in range usage when using ElectrifyAmerica SuperCharging stations. However, some EV owners of PoleStar, Porsche鈥檚, Volkswagen, and Audis have not seen any significant changes in their range capacity whatsoever, but then again many of them are also taking advantage of the 2-yr free charging services that are provided by their dealerships and ElectrifyAmerica. Many supercharging stations for EA are out in the bright sunny day where there is little cloud cover and the I-25 RockyMountain corridor is ideal for solar power capabilities. Thus I am not sure why many of these locations do not use carports to install solar power that could help significantly in power loss when other EVs are charging. Solar-powered car ports at all charging stations can help greatly reduce the strain on the Electrical Grid and support Super-Charging stations for other users in addition to providing customers with shade, reduce charging times and the need to use the A/C system. Everything is relative when it comes to utilizing all these service needs on the Infrastructure.

It鈥檚 clear that ElectrifyAmerica is perhaps bleeding a large amount of money loss if they are only having German Engineers working on their SuperCharging Stations, while subbing contract jobs for basic maintenance to other electrical service providers. Hence, this is the reason why many of their 350kW charging stations have been down for most of the summer. I finally got fed-up contacting their customer support (which provides exceptional services) but have their hands-tied when it comes to servicing all their high-powered charging stations across the Rocky Mountain Region.

But I digress鈥oL. Your thoughts???

Registered
Thank you for the INFO. Much appreciated, however I have been driving my 2022 KIA EV6 AWD Wind with nearly 13Kmiles mostly driven in-state. However, I feel that dealers are likely already looking to protect themselves perhaps from complaints and possibly even lawsuits considering, I am getting nowhere near 255 Miles of range. From the last dealership software update I have seen a significant drop in range capability especially when using certified SuperCharging stations such as ElectrifyAmerica, many of which have dropped their ability to charge from 350KW charges to only seeing them averaging 50-90kWH while battery was under 80% battery capacity.

In all honesty, I have been checking various charging station brands around the Colorado area and power fluctuations are pretty considerable especially on hot summer days. I have noticed that I get much better battery charging capacity on my EV6 Wind when a charge during the LATE evenings on extremely HOT summer days, like after 10pm. Not sure if this is the reason, but I鈥檝e been getting far better reliability in range when I go to EVgo or even High Power ChargePoint stations across the Rocky Mountain I-25 corridor. However, I have had to significantly change my driving habits in order to exceed 220-230 mile rang capacity, such as using AC for like 15-20minutes then circulating the air for 10minutes before it begins to blow warm air. I also have a lead foot so I have had to reduce my average driving speed from 80-85 mph to 65-75mph. In doing so I have noticed a significant reduction in range loss when I use ReGen Braking system at levels 1-2 all the time, but this is not ideal when you get tired and just let the Superb KIA Driving Assist kick in and do most of the work for you. I would like to see the KIA driving assist utilize the ReGen breaking with ability to change/set levels as you see fit based on terrain (something the genius software developers can fix, I鈥檓 sure). Typically I have only used ReGen Braking levels 3-4 when going downhill only, since it is the only time I have seen range miles added (usually just 1-3miles added if that), but must consider the amount of energy being currently used while moving. IMO, KIA engineers can benefit significantly if they change the ReGen breaking system all-together and help increase the range considerably because I give KIA current ReGen breaking system on the EV6 a D+ when compared to other automakers ReGen breaking systems, something I have also discussed with many EV owners while charging. It is obvious that if EVs are to become the growing trend, then the US Federal gov鈥檛 has to make solar cell efficiency increases exponentially if we are to avoid Power Grid failures in the future nationwide. Bridging the gap by adding solar cells to MoonRoof鈥檚 is now becoming a moral imperative that everyone should/must write their local Governor鈥檚/politician鈥檚 about in order to make a significant change sooner rather then later. It is obvious that not all automakers are on board in doing this and dragging their feet to get more government incentives to do so, IMO.

For the past 4 months I have seen an average range capacity drop on my EV6 from 235 miles down to 200-210 on a full 100% charge. When I charged my EV6 to 100% which was only a few of times the first couple of months, I鈥檝e never seen 255 mile range as advertised and have told dealerships about this, but many just throw their hands up and don鈥檛 have a clue as to why. Now I know that it is not good for your battery to charge fully at 100%, but I have found that I have had no choice after the last couple of KIA updates (May/Junes) I have seen my range fall well below market capacity of 200 miles or less鈥ot cool. After only getting 1000 miles of free charging from ElectrifyAmerica, I got to the point that I have found their services to be unreliable for my charging needs, thus I have tuned-in, turned-on and dropped out in supporting their services and find that many KIA owners are getting screwed by local dealers when I here multiple white Hyundai EV owners (Ioniq5) have been offered 2 years of free charging from ElectrifyAmerica while minorities are not getting practically no deals for charging whatsoever.

Now going into the hottest month of the summer I am only getting 205-215 miles range or less, even worse mileage range when I use ElectrifyAmerica locations, which are the most convenient, unfortunately. While at charging stations I make an effort to talk to other EV owners and try to compare what they say in their ranges and many have also concluded they have seen a reduction in range usage when using ElectrifyAmerica SuperCharging stations. However, some EV owners of PoleStar, Porsche鈥檚, Volkswagen, and Audis have not seen any significant changes in their range capacity whatsoever, but then again many of them are also taking advantage of the 2-yr free charging services that are provided by their dealerships and ElectrifyAmerica. Many supercharging stations for EA are out in the bright sunny day where there is little cloud cover and the I-25 RockyMountain corridor is ideal for solar power capabilities. Thus I am not sure why many of these locations do not use carports to install solar power that could help significantly in power loss when other EVs are charging. Solar-powered car ports at all charging stations can help greatly reduce the strain on the Electrical Grid and support Super-Charging stations for other users in addition to providing customers with shade, reduce charging times and the need to use the A/C system. Everything is relative when it comes to utilizing all these service needs on the Infrastructure.

It鈥檚 clear that ElectrifyAmerica is perhaps bleeding a large amount of money loss if they are only having German Engineers working on their SuperCharging Stations, while subbing contract jobs for basic maintenance to other electrical service providers. Hence, this is the reason why many of their 350kW charging stations have been down for most of the summer. I finally got fed-up contacting their customer support (which provides exceptional services) but have their hands-tied when it comes to servicing all their high-powered charging stations across the Rocky Mountain Region.

But I digress鈥oL. Your thoughts???
STRANGE???
The fastest I drive my EV6 GT-LINE AWD is 73 MPH on the Interstate. For day to day use the speeds are much slower on suburban and secondary roads, closer to 40 and 55. Have had the car since August 10th and my average miles per kWh is 4.1. At that rate with 72.6 kWh of usable battery my 100% range would be 298 miles, not the specified EPA estimate of 274 miles.

Likely your 'heavy foot' and the mountainous terrain you seem to be traversing is eating into your range. ALSO note that the range number is based on your driving patterns. So if over the months of ownership you have driven over 75 miles per hour on the Interstate, on hilly terrain, in cooler weather you can expect the 'ESTIMATED' range number to fall. Also, if your model does NOT have the heat pump, you can also expect lower range during cooler days. ??Does the WIND AWD come with the heat pump??

Keep in mind that range numbers will improve if you have a long term change in driving habits, i.e. drive at 65-70 on the Interstate, use smooth accelerations at stop signs and traffic signals, anticipate traffic lights so that you slow down but by the time you get to the light it is green again. [Having to make full stops and then build or regain the momentum from that nearly 5-thousand pound car eats into your range.] Really just slowing down should have a massive impact on your range number.

Those are some of the things I've been doing as an EV owner to squeeze the best range out of my car. The EV6 is my second full EV. Had a Tesla Model S 70D for nearly 7 years before trading it on the EV6. My EV6, charged at 80% daily provides me with more miles of range than my Tesla 70D did at 100%.
Gadget Communication Device Font Multimedia Electronic device

The above was a round trip to a Wendy's for a burger. It took 54 minutes because I stayed at Wendy's while I ate the burger and headed back home. Notice I drove over 7 1/2 miles to this Wendy's because there aren't any close to my home. :)

Registered
I only have a 100 miles on my new GTL AWD. I am getting 2.7m/KwH .. Maybe I tested that 0-60 a few times.
During my first week I got low range numbers also but they have steadily improved. There were a few test drives by family members that first week. Lots of 0-60 tests and crazy driving on some twisty roads. Much more conservative driving now and it has paid off in higher miles per kWh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts