Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have had an e niro 64 kWh for a year and love it so much I'm getting an EV 6 delivered in a few weeks. One thing that puzzles me is that the quoted battery capacity is 77.4kWh and I am sure this was originally described as usable capacity. I see some ev6s being sold by dealers in UK and they are quoting usable capacity of 64kWh. Anyone know which is the actual figure. I cannot really imagine that 64 is correct as achieving around 320 miles on a charge would mean an efficiency of 5 miles per kWh which is not in line with Kia figures. Thx. Richard

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
44 Posts
@twiggydog I use EV Database. Their figures are usually pretty accurate "real world" (The EV6 range figures shown are provisional pending testing).

Figures show that the car has 77.4 kWh usable (82.5 kWh capacity)

John.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
44 Posts
Thx for that. It seems insane for a kia dealer to quote significantly lower figures when selling a brand new car. See attached from their autotrader advert. View attachment 580
A lack of attention to detail I would say - You could always ask them how they determined the 62kWh figure, and to please show you the calculations. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've not seen where Hyundai/Kia have detailed whether the specified numbers for the E-GMP platform are usable or nominal, or how much buffer there is. Most in the press have assumed them to be usable, and have guessed at the nominal value. An Ioniq 5 battery had recently been torn down, and it's now believed that the spec'd numbers are gross:
With the current knowledge we assume that the 58 kWh, 72.6 kWh and 77.4 kWh battery capacity are the total values (a few percent less is usable). Initially, we were not sure and guessed that those are net values.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not seen where Hyundai/Kia have detailed whether the specified numbers for the E-GMP platform are usable or nominal, or how much buffer there is. Most in the press have assumed them to be usable, and have guessed at the nominal value. An Ioniq 5 battery had recently been torn down, and it's now believed that the spec'd numbers are gross:
As with the EV6 I always understood the Kia E Niro 64kWh (which I currently own) has a usable 64kWh battery. Dealers selling the car on Autotrader are claiming usable to be 52kWh (see attached). I regularly achieve 280 miles plus on a charge on a combined cycle cruising at 70 mph and using auto regen. This equates to about 4.4 miles per kWh (280/64) which is broadly in line with the car OBC. If it were a usable 52kWh battery then it would be 5.4 miles per kWh (280/52) which I don't believe is realistic and certainly doesn't tally with the OBC although interestingly/strangely the 5.4 figure is broadly in line with the Kia UVO app figure. Certainly the car charger records an input close to 64kWh when I charge from near empty although that could be down to charging losses I guess. I feel this is important because it will inevitably be a major consideration when people decide what EV to buy and I imagine they will end to think the bigger the usable battery the better. It also feels like it is a pretty key figure when trying to understand the true efficiency of the vehicle day to day.

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts