Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now when I got the preheating battery update I came up with an issue. I want to use internal navigation to get preheating of the battery to work (charger must be a destination point in nav) but at the same time I want to use ABRP to plan my route with charging stops with android auto.
But as soon as I start a navigation in any program (ABRP or Google Maps for instance) and are connected with android auto internal navigation stops. If I jump out to main screen from Android auto and start the internal navigation again it works as long as I don't go back to Android auto screen.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

It is very big issue on longer trips to not be able to use navigation apps on my phone and to be connected via android auto to get the information on the big screen in the middle.

Any ideas or suggestions how I should do this?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
518 Posts
I may be reading your question wrong, so sorry if this is off-base.

I’m an iPhone/CarPlay user, so it may be different, however I run ABRP and Kia Nav together. See this thread for how.
Basically, the order of activating them and using the ⭐ button on the infotainment panel to go back to CarPlay works.

I’ve also found that I can use ABRP and Car Scanner Pro (CSP) together as long as I start CSP first. I use CSP on my phone and ABRP in CarPlay. That said, I like how Technically Jeff has CSP on his display, but I'm not prepared to spend $300 for the ability via the One Car Stereo AI Box.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
Basically, the order of activating them and using the ⭐ button on the infotainment panel to go back to CarPlay works.
From reading that first thread you linked to, it appears the only reason why both are working at the same time is because you enabled split screen. Therefore, the in-car nav is never hidden in the background.

The solution of switching to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with the star button might not work if we have split screen disabled. The in-car nav may still pause in that case.

It's just such a shame we have to use the in-car nav for battery preconditioning. I wish they'd let us precondition manually for 20-30 minutes before we arrive at the charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be reading your question wrong, so sorry if this is off-base.

I’m an iPhone/CarPlay user, so it may be different, however I run ABRP and Kia Nav together. See this thread for how.

I’ve also found that I can use ABRP and Car Scanner Pro (CSP) together as long as I start CSP first. I use CSP on my phone and ABRP in CarPlay. That said, I like how Technically Jeff has CSP on his display, but I'm not prepared to spend $300 for the ability via the One Car Stereo AI Box.
Thanks for the suggestion. You understood my question correct.
I've tested it standing still on my driveway tonight and it seems to work in the same way with android auto as for you with apple carplay.

Only thing I see that worries me a little bit is when everything is set up and there is navigation in booth built in nav and ABRP on the screen in the car but when I look at my mobil with ABRP active it has stopped the route on the mobil so I can't see for example batteri % trend (I have connected ABRP with OBDII dongel to get live data from the car when driving).

But hopefully ABRP route is alive on car screen and that will be good enough.

It seems to work also with Google Maps.

And I will test to connect Car Scanner before ABRP and see if it works with booth program connected. It always nice to able to se all data when you are a engineer :)

I'm impressed that you figured this out.
Many thanks for the help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had split screen enabled during this test
Oh okay. Does it still work if you disable split screen? That's what I was planning to do.

In the worst case, I could just not set a destination in Google Maps since I already know where I'm going. That way the in-car nav will still operate in the background (though I'll still have it fully muted). I'd only ever use that for battery preconditioning, otherwise I don't want anything to do with the in-car nav.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
518 Posts
Only thing I see that worries me a little bit is when everything is set up and there is navigation in booth built in nav and ABRP on the screen in the car but when I look at my mobil with ABRP active it has stopped the route on the mobil so I can't see for example batteri % trend (I have connected ABRP with OBDII dongel to get live data from the car when driving).

It seems to work also with Google Maps.

It always nice to able to se all data when you are a engineer.
You’re welcome. I can’t take the credit for figuring it out. But maybe I would have eventually as I’m a retired engineer. LOL

I’ve noticed that at times, ABRP loses its connection as well. I tried force closing the app unsuccessfully, and seem to recall I had to restart my phone and reconnect CSP & ABRP again.

Were you able to use Google Maps for navigation with the Kia Nav? I haven’t gotten Apple Maps to work with it. I haven’t tried GM or Waze.

The main reason I use the Kia Nav is I like it in the HUD. It is one more thing that makes for a more relaxing long drive. One less thing I have to look down to the infotainment screen for.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I took my trip in August I ended up having the built-in nav running on the infotainment screen and HUD and ABRP running on my phone with no connection to the car except a power cable. I programmed the next station I was headed for in both - well ABRP selected one, and I put that same one into the Kia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I took my trip in August I ended up having the built-in nav running on the infotainment screen and HUD and ABRP running on my phone with no connection to the car except a power cable. I programmed the next station I was headed for in both - well ABRP selected one, and I put that same one into the Kia.
Busy days but had a chance to test a little more tonight (still standing still on my driveway).
It looks like the fix only works for ABRP and split screen. If I disable split screen ABRP stops.

You’re welcome. I can’t take the credit for figuring it out. But maybe I would have eventually as I’m a retired engineer. LOL

I’ve noticed that at times, ABRP loses its connection as well. I tried force closing the app unsuccessfully, and seem to recall I had to restart my phone and reconnect CSP & ABRP again.

Were you able to use Google Maps for navigation with the Kia Nav? I haven’t gotten Apple Maps to work with it. I haven’t tried GM or Waze.

The main reason I use the Kia Nav is I like it in the HUD. It is one more thing that makes for a more relaxing long drive. One less thing I have to look down to the infotainment screen for.
And tonight I testet a little more with Google Maps also but I don't get it to work with this fix (in split screen mode). I started the navigation on the mobil before connecting via Android Auto to the car.
But it stops when I resume the built in nav. I the tried to restart the navigation i GM but then the built in nav stops.

But on the mobil it looks like the navigation is running in background in the notification field (can't open Google Maps on the mobil when connected with Android Auto) but not on the screen in the car. So my conclusion is that GM isn't working with this fix (at the moment).

I will test it a little more (ABRP) during a longer trips during christmas.

·
Registered
358 Posts
When I took my trip in August I ended up having the built-in nav running on the infotainment screen and HUD and ABRP running on my phone with no connection to the car except a power cable.
That doesn't answer the question BlackAdder had which was to run Android Auto and the in-car nav at the same time. What you described doesn't run Android Auto at all since the phone isn't connected to the car's media USB port.

But it stops when I resume the built in nav. I the tried to restart the navigation i GM but then the built in nav stops.
So I guess we have to choose either Google Maps but no battery preconditioning or terrible in-car nav (with preconditioning) but no Google Maps? Unless it's really cold, I'll probably choose Google Maps over the built-in nav and preconditioning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts