Kia EV Forum banner

Used Hyperdip on the GT’s emblems

6K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  ronceeder 
#1 ·
Hey all! I got my black GT a couple of weeks ago and used Hyperdip in Piano Black to black out its “Kia” emblems as well as the “EV6” badge. I left the “GT” badge alone for now, but I’m thinking of dipping it in fluorescent green and cutting out the black GT letters so that they’re black on a fluorescent green background. Also thinking of dipping the wheels using their emerald black aerosol. Would love to hear (and see) other folks’ experience with dipping.

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Wheel Grille Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the “GT Club” Your badge delete turned out really nicely. I like the idea of the acid green badge touch up to GT emblem only. I’ve considered doing both KИ badges in that color as well. Murdering out the wheels, especially since it wouldn’t be permanent, would be cool to see.

would you kindly provide a link to the exact product you using?

out of curiosity, what sort of efficiency (mi/kWh) are you seeing on average, and in what DriveMode/Regen configuration have you been driving it?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks!

The product I used is sold on dipyourcar.com, but I bought mine on Amazon since prime meant a lower overall price. Link is here: DipYourCar HyperDip Peelable Emblem Car Paint Kit - DIY Set with Cans of Automotive Spray Paint, Removable Auto Paint Kit Protection & Color for Car Badges, Piano Black Automotive Paint https://a.co/d/3OIH0ID

The company also sells wheel kits and full body sprays. I’m not affiliated in any way.

I will say that the car’s color is slightly deeper than the dip, so it isn’t completely wiping out the badges, but I preferred this to replacing the OEM emblems with black aftermarket ones since these can easily be peeled off. This isn’t an issue for any other EV6 color besides the black, though.

As for efficiency, it started out pretty abysmal. I was averaging about 2.2-2.5 m/kWh. After driving the RWD GT-Line for almost a year (getting an average of 3.7-4), I wasn’t too happy with efficiency (not regretting it for a second, though). Now, the car has about 500 miles on it and I’m averaging 2.9-3.1m/kWh. I typically have a pretty heavy foot and I drive the car in Sports/Normal/GT modes 80%/15%/5% of the time. Regen is usually lvl 3, except if I’m in moderate to heavy traffic then I put it in I-Pedal. My Kia salesperson had told me to take the battery through a couple of 100%-full discharge a couple of times at the beginning. I couldn’t bring myself to go down to 0% cuz I’m a coward 😂 so I did let it go down to 14% then charged it to 100% a couple of times. First time I let it go to 100%, its estimated range was 209 in the car (212 in the app - don’t know why they don’t match). Second time I did this, the numbers were 212 in the car and 219 in the app. Either way, it’s more than the estimated EPA range. We’re also in the winter and I’ve seen with my GT-Line that warmer weather makes a huge difference so I’m looking forward to that.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Did the same the other day as it was unusually warm for feb. I’m enjoying the ‘cleaner’ look for now. I generally don’t like a busy back end or engine spec on the back of my cars.
In this case - If I don’t like it it can always be peeled off.

I would love to have the GT logo at the back - just the GT bit in lime green to match the callipers but it’s going to be a mission trying to find some vinyl to match and then trying to find a decal maker who can do it.
Wood Line Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive exterior Road surface Asphalt

#8 ·
Did the same the other day as it was unusually warm for feb. I’m enjoying the ‘cleaner’ look for now. I generally don’t like a busy back end or engine spec on the back of my cars.
In this case - If I don’t like it it can always be peeled off.

I would love to have the GT logo at the back - just the GT bit in lime green to match the callipers but it’s going to be a mission trying to find some vinyl to match and then trying to find a decal maker who can do it.
View attachment 12090
View attachment 12091
Yeah, I also like the clean look of the car now.

FWIW, I reached out to the DYC people with a picture of the calipers to see which of their products matched the color. Their response is below👇🏼. Imo, it’s too much product to buy for one badge so I’m thinking of buying their blaze green and blaze yellow aerosols (fluorescents) and trying to use them both. No idea what it’ll look like, but hey if it looks bad, I can always peel it off.

“The closest we will have will be the Polaris Yellow. Unfortunately this is not something offered in aerosol cans as those were discontinued. The Polaris Yellow looks like it will be more yellow than green like in your photos. The only way to alter the Polaris would be to do what we did in the video where we added green juice to the Polaris to make it more green and apply that over a white base. I will include a link to this video below. The only way to attempt this is to use quarts of topcoat and a sprayer. You might be able to use the Preval Sprayer for very small items like emblems/badges but you must not allow the Preval to tilt. You will notice it will spit if it does. I recommend trying a test run on something similar off the vehicle to make sure you get the technique down. We do sell the quarts of topcoat and bags of Polaris pearl for small projects, be sure to have a small amount of naphtha thinner on hand to dissolve the pigment into, you only need a small amount of thinner just enough to break up the pigment. You can use the standard white PlastiDip aerosols for the base then apply the custom Polaris over the top. Let me know if you have any questions.

Link:

#10 ·
I deliberately did not do this. I know that these gloss black emblems are sold and are not expensive, but I preferred to not remove the car’s emblems and have them replaced. Masking the car and spraying doesn’t really take that long. The time that I was actively doing something in the process (not including the time between coats) was less than an hour.

#19 ·

Fast shipping, received them 2 days after I ordered them. I just wish they would have put calipers on the back like the front.

#27 · (Edited)
I just communicated with them and they showed me a few other renderings, which I’ve attached below. I told them the first one in the photo is most accurate, but we’d need to lose the “Line” and they said they could create a new rendering based on that and send it. They could also stack them similar to the one @only1canoli shared, but with the updated GT logo.

I’m having a hard time deciding whether stacked would be better or not. I need to see it on the car, so I’ll probably print it out both ways and place it on the caliper to get a sense of how it’ll look.
Font Brand Rectangle Logo Parallel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.