Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the EV 6 and expect delivery next week. I did not realize it doesn’t have a cable. My husband has a Tesla cable connected to a 240 volt charger. Can I just buy an adapter and always use his system? Which is the best adapter? I see some don’t work? I also plan to buy a portable system for travel to use 120/240. Suggestions for that? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry. Tesla electricity is incompatible with KIA electricity.

Kidding! With my M3 (which I sold), it came with a J1772 adapter that worked great. If you don't still have it I am sure you can get one on EBAY or even at the Tesla site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. Tesla electricity is incompatible with KIA electricity.

Kidding! With my M3 (which I sold), it came with a J1772 adapter that worked great. If you don't still have it I am sure you can get one on EBAY or even at the Tesla site.
so the adapter work sboth directions? From Tesla to J1772 and visa versa?

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
128 Posts
I just bought the EV 6 and expect delivery next week. I did not realize it doesn’t have a cable. My husband has a Tesla cable connected to a 240 volt charger. Can I just buy an adapter and always use his system? Which is the best adapter? I see some don’t work? I also plan to buy a portable system for travel to use 120/240. Suggestions for that? Thanks!
I’d recommend the Teslatap mini if it fits your budget (60 or 80amp version). It should work consistently at home and you can take it with you for increased charging options on the road. The mini is lockable on both ends to prevent theft and unplugging. If you don’t plan on traveling with it, you can buy the non-mini version. Since you will be using it regularly, I’d suggest staying away from Lectron and other versions as they require you getting back in the car after a charging failed audible prompt and turning the car on to initiate charging.

The teslatap is available on their site, amazon and eBay. The prices vary between sites, so I'd recommend cross shopping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d recommend the Teslatap mini if it fits your budget (60 or 80amp version). It should work consistently at home and you can take it with you for increased charging options on the road. The mini is lockable on both ends to prevent theft and unplugging. If you don’t plan on traveling with it, you can buy the non-mini version. Since you will be using it regularly, I’d suggest staying away from Lectron and other versions as they require you getting back in the car after a charging failed audible prompt and turning the car on to initiate charging.

The teslatap is available on their site, amazon and eBay. The prices vary between sites, so I'd recommend cross shopping.

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
so the adapter work sboth directions? From Tesla to J1772 and visa versa?
I apologize. I think I bought it and did not come with kit. But I do know there are adapters that work. I believe the TeslaTap like YSM... suggested is the brand to buy.

Congrats on the car. We love ours.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 AWD Wind w/Tech Package
128 Posts
I ordered the Tesla tap mini thanks. Any suggestions for a portable level 1 charger to take on trips?
Tesla mobile charger or Shell Recharge is what I would recommend. My requirements were to have something that I could adjust for the most power output/receptacle situations. I bought the Shell with a few different 10-30 adapters. It can do a max 40amp compared to the Tesla mobile gen 2 which does a max of 32amps. The Tesla mobile gen 1 will do 40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts