Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success using a Tesla tap to charge from a destination charger? Every time I try to use the one I have, after a few seconds the car says charging unsuccessful. In looking at the screen, it looks like the car thinks I'm trying to use a DC charger? I just got this adapter, so it shouldn't be an issue of it not being able to handle the power coming through.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting that link. I wish I'd scrolled down and found that myself. What really makes me mad though is that I actually thought about trying that, but decided against it. :mad:

·
Registered
396 Posts
The genuine TeslaTap has a circuit inside it to put the Tesla EVSE into "legacy mode" where it's J1772 compatible. It should do this automatically, but the EV6 and Ioniq have some sort of timing incompatibility hence that workaround. The TeslaTap takes a couple seconds before the switch, so if you put it on the destination charger then very quickly plug into the car, you'll get the same issue, but it's good to go after about 8 seconds or so by my test.

So the question is whether the wait-and-dance is worth $70 to you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm asking OP, and the waiting 30 seconds is on the box and instruction manual that comes with the Lectron.
ahh interesting, thanks.
To clarify, I haven’t actually tested the lectron branded one, so I suppose it could be different. I’m guessing it’s not, since the problem presents identically with this one I did test: MEGEAR Tesla to SAE J1772 Adapter (Max40A,250V) from UMC (Tesla Connector) to J1772 (Type-1 US EV Connector) for Electric Vehicle Car Charger, Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Mobile Connector https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08QCNZBKV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_41GZN41YZ2TQTKFMJHKY

I can confirm, at least with that one, that 30s is irrelevant. Which makes sense, since there is no circuitry whatsoever attached to the Tesla side internally.

I suppose the Lectron could have a circuit like the teslatap, but given it has this same problem, I’m assuming not.

·
Registered
Glacier FE AWD
26 Posts
I purchase the Lectron one since I already own a Tesla Home charger Gen 3. It does work, takes a bit of time maybe like the 30 seconds mentioned here, but it will charge at full too.

Getting 11.5 kW the whole time, and the cable and charger don’t get warm at all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I purchase the Lectron one since I already own a Tesla Home charger Gen 3. It does work, takes a bit of time maybe like the 30 seconds mentioned here, but it will charge at full too.

Getting 11.5 kW the whole time, and the cable and charger don’t get warm at all.
do you get a “charging unsuccessful” warning that you then have to work around by turning the car back on?

·
Registered
Glacier FE AWD
26 Posts
do you get a “charging unsuccessful” warning that you then have to work around by turning the car back on?
Yes, kinda of.
This is how I have been doing it.

Park, turn car off and leave driver door open.

Plug charger in and wait.

Will get charging unsuccessful, keep waiting and will get charging a little bit after.

Go and close vehicle door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought and just used the Teslatap Mini 60 for the first time (it’s connected first to a Tesla one charger) and disengaging it (i.e., pulling it out) was a bit of a mystery. Haven’t found threads here with clear guidance (i.e., do this and that is some order) on doing this for my EV6. Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought and just used the Teslatap Mini 60 for the first time (it’s connected first to a Tesla one charger) and disengaging it (i.e., pulling it out) was a bit of a mystery. Haven’t found threads here with clear guidance (i.e., do this and that is some order) on doing this for my EV6. Thanks!
Typically when you press the release trigger. There is a signal from that trigger to the EVSE the tells it to stop charging. That disconnects the charger. The Tesla chargers use that same standard.

·
Registered
396 Posts
long story short, connect the adapter to the Tesla handle then connect to the car, and same in reverse (disconnect the car first, then remove the adapter from the Tesla handle).

as long as you’re using the lever on the Teslatap to unlatch from the car, that will stop charging before you unplug and all will be safe.

I also designed and use this locking sleeve to keep the Tesla handle locked into the teslatap, so you can’t accidentally unplug the Tesla handle first (or intentionally, like someone stealing your plug at a destination charger). Handle Lock For TeslaTap Mini - Convenient handle-locking sleeve | eBay

You slip a pin into the locking hole on the teslatap, then the sleeve holds it in place and can’t be removed if it’s latched in on the j1772 side.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model Y LR
40 Posts
long story short, connect the adapter to the Tesla handle then connect to the car, and same in reverse (disconnect the car first, then remove the adapter from the Tesla handle).

as long as you’re using the lever on the Teslatap to unlatch from the car, that will stop charging before you unplug and all will be safe.

I also designed and use this locking sleeve to keep the Tesla handle locked into the teslatap, so you can’t accidentally unplug the Tesla handle first (or intentionally, like someone stealing your plug at a destination charger). Handle Lock For TeslaTap Mini - Convenient handle-locking sleeve | eBay

You slip a pin into the locking hole on the teslatap, then the sleeve holds it in place and can’t be removed if it’s latched in on the j1772 side.
Help, my TeslaTap mini 40 is stuck. Charging is finished at the 80% limit, but I can’t get the adapter out of the car ( the adapter is still connected to the Tesla cable). Should I unplug the cable from the 14-50 outlet?

thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Third that suggestion: click unlock on the fob right before you try to unplug. If you do, and it remains stuck, try pushing down harder on the teslatap latch, or try pushing the teslatap IN to the charge port while you try to release the latch - it could just be a bit tight.

You can have 3 settings for your charge port: always lock, never lock, lock only when actively charging. "lock" prevents the latch handle from opening, but you might get the same with a brand new charge handle (or tesla tap) if things just happen to be sticky.

Failing all of that, look into the charge port right above the teslatap and make sure the shiny chrome pin isn't still extended, locking the handle in place. If it IS extended, despite having just unlocked the car, try pushing it off with a screwdriver or something else pointy. Perhaps that's getting stuck in the "out"/locked position. I believe pulling the emergency release behind the panel on the charge port side of the trunk will accomplish the same, but I'm not sure exactly how the mechanism works and maybe it's still prone to sticking.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks, I was able to get it out. I'll have to try it again when it's still in the middle of a charge.
should be just the same: click the unlock button and the port lock will open for 15s. Opening the latch on the handle will immediately stop charging before you unplug. Don’t hot-unplug the Tesla handle though- pull the teslatap first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts