Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind eAWD Technology Pkg
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the backseat of my EV6 while my wife was driving us to our in-laws, and I wanted to plug the laptop into the outlet below the rear bench, but I didn't get any power out of it. I went looking for info in the manual and on this site and I'm only able to sort of deduce that maybe this outlet only works when the car is not running, unless I'm misinterpreting. Which, if true, is not helpful. I can't power a laptop off the USB-C charging ports, and I'd really like to be able to at least hold my charge steady on a long drive when I'm using my Mac, but it looks like I can't do this via the indoor V2L outlet. Am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,977 Posts
Something does not sound right as in the early days were people had issues with the heating and cooling they plugged in heaters while driving so the windows did not fog up.

I would have thought that would have meat the socket works all the time not just when parked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the backseat of my EV6 while my wife was driving us to our in-laws, and I wanted to plug the laptop into the outlet below the rear bench, but I didn't get any power out of it. I went looking for info in the manual and on this site and I'm only able to sort of deduce that maybe this outlet only works when the car is not running, unless I'm misinterpreting. Which, if true, is not helpful. I can't power a laptop off the USB-C charging ports, and I'd really like to be able to at least hold my charge steady on a long drive when I'm using my Mac, but it looks like I can't do this via the indoor V2L outlet. Am I wrong?
I don't have an EV6 yet, but currently in my car I use a 12v to 3 pin adaptor that I used for my laptop. Normally I used this whilst parked up before client meetings, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you're the passenger in a moving car.

BESTEK 300W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 230V 240V with 4.8A Dual Smart USB Ports Car Adapter : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
195 Posts
What was the state of charge? V2L is configured to shut down when the battery reaches a certain threshold. I don't remember what is the default but is configurable in the infotainment.

·
Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
24 Posts
I am having the same issue - the indicator light is blue indicating standby when it should be green to supply power.
I did see the manual says that schedule a/c has to be off, which it is in my case
Can‘t find anything that says how to get it to turn on

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
37 Posts
The under-seat outlet has an interlock that it won't turn on until the ground pin of a plug is fully inserted. It's dumb as hell and I hate it. I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Kasonic-Extension-Outlet-Listed-Outdoor/dp/B09HSR3T8D/ref=sr_1_6?crid=IU41D6MJNPJJ&keywords=8"+extension+cord&qid=1656095482&sprefix=8+extension+cord,aps,123&sr=8-6

Even still, it's finicky as hell and will shut off if a stiff breeze knocks the plug the slightest bit loose. It's very badly designed.
Aren't those undersized with amperage or AWG size? If the interior/exterior (v2l) is 15/16 A shouldn't you get a beefier cable like a 12 AWG
AKJIA UL Listed 1-Foot 12AWG 15 Amp to 20 Amp Plug Adapter Cord NEMA 5-15P to 5-15/20R(20Amp T Blade) - - AmazonSmile

·
Registered
453 Posts
Aren't those undersized with amperage or AWG size? If the interior/exterior (v2l) is 15/16 A shouldn't you get a beefier cable like a 12 AWG
1) it's not going to matter across 8 inches. If you ran one at full power indefinitely in the hot sun, you could maybe create a problem, but an intermittent load won't be an issue, and a continuous load won't pull the full 15A.
2) What on earth are you running at 1500W inside the car, especially that doesn't have its own grounded plug? I bought this to plug in my laptop charger or the like.

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
37 Posts
1) it's not going to matter across 8 inches. If you ran one at full power indefinitely in the hot sun, you could maybe create a problem, but an intermittent load won't be an issue, and a continuous load won't pull the full 15A.
2) What on earth are you running at 1500W inside the car, especially that doesn't have its own grounded plug? I bought this to plug in my laptop charger or the like.
1) I just thought it was an equation...this much load = this much gauge, but yes good point...not much distance
2) No idea what I'd use the interior plug for...I guess laptop charger :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
1) I just thought it was an equation...this much load = this much gauge, but yes good point...not much distance
2) No idea what I'd use the interior plug for...I guess laptop charger :)
It sort of is, sort of isn't. The two issues with long runs are voltage drop and heat generation. Voltage drop is rarely that relevant. If your inflatable hot tub is getting 110V instead of 120V at the end of a 200ft 10-gauge extension cord, that means it has about 10% less power to work with, but it'll still work just fine. If it's getting 110v at the end of a 6ft 18 gauge extension cord meant for your bedside lamp, that's a much bigger issue because that cord will get hot while the first cord won't.

16 gauge is cause for concern at 15A because the cord WILL generate excess heat, but kind of only if you're running a hair dryer in your car for an hour with all the windows closed on a sunny day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts