Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point, I've tested and am pretty comfortable with Utility mode, specifically for a pet:
  1. Turn the car on
  2. Enable Utility Mode
  3. Lock the car from inside
  4. Exit
  5. Use your hardware key to lock the driver's door. The "key not present" chimes will stop after 3-4 seconds
  6. Do your shopping or whatever while the car stays cool.
What I'm less clear on is what happens WHILE CHARGING. You CAN'T turn utility mode on (unless I was doing something else wrong, but it told me "conditions not met"). Of course, you CAN have the climate running. And you can do the same lock/exit/relock dance to lock the car while it's on and plugged in (I noticed, at this point, it WON'T unlock from the fob - you have to use the hardware key again, get in, and unlock it from inside with the key present inside).

But what I DON'T know is if the climate will also stay on indefinitely in that state, since utility mode is technically not engaged. Anyone else tried it i.e. while level 2 charging?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following up on my own thread since I've since found the answer on manual page 6-45. Short version: if you're charging, you don't need to worry about utility mode: the car will stay on.

Utility mode's entire purpose is to manually override/disable the "Vehicle auto-shut off function."

If the car is on, it'll shut itself off automatically after 90 minutes UNLESS:
  • Utility mode is on
  • Head unit is updating
  • Exterior V2L is running
  • Vehicle is charging
  • There's someone in the passenger's seat
  • the vehicle is moving
  • You step on the brake pedal (?? I don't get this one)
  • Both (?) front seat belts are fastened
  • The car isn't in park
  • The car is in a power mode other than "READY"
In other words, there are a bunch of reasons the car would not auto-shut-off, but Utility Mode is the easy to use guaranteed one. Charging will also stop it from shutting off, so no need for utility mode while charging.

If you're going to be parked for less than 90 minutes, you CAN just leave the car in "READY" mode, but in such a state, anyone who breaks in can shift into drive and take the car as well. Utility mode immobilizes the car such that it requires key presence again to get back into READY mode and drive.

In all cases, the alarm will be disarmed, as you MUST turn the car OFF to arm the alarm.

Also, USA-spec cars don't have an interior motion sensor, so if it's a cold day and you leave your dog inside with an armed alarm, no worries about it going off.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
340 Posts
Following up on my own thread since I've since found the answer on manual page 6-45. Short version: if you're charging, you don't need to worry about utility mode: the car will stay on.

Utility mode's entire purpose is to manually override/disable the "Vehicle auto-shut off function."

If the car is on, it'll shut itself off automatically after 90 minutes UNLESS:
  • Utility mode is on
  • Head unit is updating
  • Exterior V2L is running
  • Vehicle is charging
  • There's someone in the passenger's seat
  • the vehicle is moving
  • You step on the brake pedal (?? I don't get this one)
  • Both (?) front seat belts are fastened
  • The car isn't in park
  • The car is in a power mode other than "READY"
In other words, there are a bunch of reasons the car would not auto-shut-off, but Utility Mode is the easy to use guaranteed one. Charging will also stop it from shutting off, so no need for utility mode while charging.

If you're going to be parked for less than 90 minutes, you CAN just leave the car in "READY" mode, but in such a state, anyone who breaks in can shift into drive and take the car as well. Utility mode immobilizes the car such that it requires key presence again to get back into READY mode and drive.

In all cases, the alarm will be disarmed, as you MUST turn the car OFF to arm the alarm.

Also, USA-spec cars don't have an interior motion sensor, so if it's a cold day and you leave your dog inside with an armed alarm, no worries about it going off.

View attachment 5285
Great post.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There’s no tilt sensor in the US models, is there? I don’t see any instructions in the alarm section of the manual that states how to lock without arming the alarm (other than running Utility Mode as you’ve stated). I’m thinking about ferry travel and whether the alarm will go off.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There’s no tilt sensor in the US models, is there? I don’t see any instructions in the alarm section of the manual that states how to lock without arming the alarm (other than running Utility Mode as you’ve stated). I’m thinking about ferry travel and whether the alarm will go off.
Just went out and shook the car like I was trying to flip it, for science: No reaction from the alarm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts