Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
615 Posts
This is some pretty crazy stuff right here. LOL

I hope that this system makes it to the US!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eventually. It's currently illegal in the US because of your ancient FMVSS that requires high beams to be either on or off and nothing in between. However, NHTSA (along with several manufacturers) are pushing for a change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They look terrible. I thought nothing could be worse than the BladeScan adaptive lights on my Lexus RX but I was wrong. My wife’s Mazda CX-30s adaptive lights on the other hand are astonishing. They light way down the carriageway and right up to the tops of trees and into the fields. You literally are driving through a large, tree-height, box of daylight and she only has a single lens per side of vehicle. My Lexus has 4 light units per side.
I will definitely need to test drive the EV6 at night on rural roads in North Yorkshire, UK before placing an order. Bad lights, for me, would be a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Small video of the wife’s Mazda CX-30 adaptive lights. We set the lights to adaptive 18 months ago and haven’t touched them again. Love the way the left hand side is still high beam (UK car) plus the right hand side but just dims the oncoming car until it has passed and then the lights fill in the dipped area again. https://flic.kr/p/2mvioTq

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, this doesn't look too impressive as you see light and dark bands between the beams so don't appear very well aligned/integrated. I currently have a 6 year old Mercedes CLS with adaptive lights which appears to work much better, as the light appears more smoothly spread (multiple led's per unit - 24 per side so 48 'headlamps'). There is a video here for comparison
which shows how they work - they do really work this smoothly in the real world. I can only assume the EV6 ones have fewer individual led's (looks like about 10 or 12 per side). It would appear a bit of a step down for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, this doesn't look too impressive as you see light and dark bands between the beams so don't appear very well aligned/integrated. I currently have a 6 year old Mercedes CLS with adaptive lights which appears to work much better, as the light appears more smoothly spread (multiple led's per unit - 24 per side so 48 'headlamps'). There is a video here for comparison
which shows how they work - they do really work this smoothly in the real world. I can only assume the EV6 ones have fewer individual led's (looks like about 10 or 12 per side). It would appear a bit of a step down for me.
I would also assume the price of the Merc-system is at a hole other level than the KIA:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are correct hboa, the Merc was £60k 6 years ago so yes equivalent model now would be more, but in 6 years of technological advancement most of such equipment has filtered down to other models/brands so I am a bit surprised that what is simply a piece of led hardware and computer control hasn’t been at least duplicated in operation for the price level these cars are being sold for.

I would suggest that anyone in the UK looking to check this bit of hardware out in particular book a test drive after the clocks go back (so 1st Nov onward) as then a late afternoon test will be run in the dark (sunset 4:30pm) so you can try it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont think you can rely on this video alone. I've recorded such videos of some of my cars to compare different light bulbs, the the environment around me (threes Vs buildings Vs fields) made a huge difference, so the same car and bulbs looked amazing somewhere and awful other places

Small video of the wife’s Mazda CX-30 adaptive lights. We set the lights to adaptive 18 months ago and haven’t touched them again. Love the way the left hand side is still high beam (UK car) plus the right hand side but just dims the oncoming car until it has passed and then the lights fill in the dipped area again. https://flic.kr/p/2mvioTq

·
Registered
103 Posts
I must admit to being disappointed in this video.
The lighting is nowhere near as good as on my MINI Countryman S E All4 PHEV albeit I have to manually select between Main beam and dipped beam.
The Kia system seemed to have a delay switching back to main beam after a car had gone past. Also the head lights did not pick up the bollards between the traffic lanes too well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Moving from a 2014 CLS with matrix light to an EV6 (delivery November), after the Mercedes matrix lights are a "must-have" for me... We will see how they compare. I hope I won't be too disappointed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts