Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, has anyone actually been to see the EV6? I would have thought by now we would receive a report of how it went.

Nevertheless my wife and I are going on the 19th July so my query is what should we looking out for? Build quality is an obvious starter: do the doors shut with a satisfying "clunk". How easy is it to get into and out of. I am assuming that there will be no test drive... I will ask about my own bête noire: prallel parking. But would be grateful for members thoughts as to what we should be looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Take a closer look at the wheels (19" and 20" depending on what model they choose to display). Do both options have aerodynamic wheel covers over alloy wheels (e.g. 18" Tesla Model 3 wheels or Prius wheels) or are they "regular" alloy wheels?

·
Registered
66 Posts
IMHO would be good customer relations for dealer to allow you to sit inside if not a ride along or test drive in a RHD demo. Needless to say you will certain carry bring along all notes or expected spec write ups so you may "stare and compare" from previous media or teaser releases. Rumor has it the NA version H15 may have lost the sliding console and dash drawer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the wife and I will be going to see one on the 9th July. We were lucky enough to win some tickets to Goodwood courtesy of Polestar.
The EV6 is close to the top of the list on our choice of our next car. I will take some photos and videos albeit most of us will have already avidly watched all the YouTube vids so might be a bit pointless to do more.
The primary area we will be looking at is quality. This is an expensive car no matter which way you approach the purchase so I would hope it compares well with its equivalent value opposition.
If anyone has any particular questions you would like me to ask, as I appreciate some members are looking further into the year before they do the touchy-feely bit, let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the wife and I will be going to see one on the 9th July. We were lucky enough to win some tickets to Goodwood courtesy of Polestar.
The EV6 is close to the top of the list on our choice of our next car. I will take some photos and videos albeit most of us will have already avidly watched all the YouTube vids so might be a bit pointless to do more.
The primary area we will be looking at is quality. This is an expensive car no matter which way you approach the purchase so I would hope it compares well with its equivalent value opposition.
If anyone has any particular questions you would like me to ask, as I appreciate some members are looking further into the year before they do the touchy-feely bit, let me know.
We are going to see one in the metal on the 19th July. I completely agree with your "quality" question. It is moving into the Jaguar iPace territory at the top end so its finish, materials, workmanship (do the doors shut with that solid feel. I feel the absence of a rear wiper is an issue, as well as any published data that the car with all its electronic wizardry cam parallel park (when exactly would you need to remotely park the car in a gap too narrow to open the door?).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll be seeing the EV6 on 16th July - Friday week. I'm expecting a test drive so I'll be disappointed if it's just a look around!

I've yet to see a right hand drive EV6 and I'll take and post some video to this group afterwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll be seeing the EV6 on 16th July - Friday week. I'm expecting a test drive so I'll be disappointed if it's just a look around!

I've yet to see a right hand drive EV6 and I'll take and post some video to this group afterwards.
I was told for our 10th August visit to our dealer in Sheffield it’s a look around only. Car arrives at the dealership for 7:30am they get training and they have then clear the showroom of all their show cars just for the EV6. Car is then shipped to the next dealership at Rotherham for the following day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could you ask the follow questions on our behalf, please?

• Do the wheels (19" and 20") have aerodynamic wheel covers or are the designs we see the actual design of the alloy?
  • Is there a difference between the multi-reflector LED headlamp and the stacked projector headlamp? (e.g. do the project ones have a swivel feature or are they for LED Matrix functions?). The reason I ask is that the pre-production EV6 shown in NY and all the photos are of the multi-reflector type while the Korean ones (e.g. the blue GT-Line) features the projector headlamp design

Could you also check the following:

• How much space is there in the underfloor bin. Is there only one large one in the centre or are there smaller ones to the left or right side?
  • One of the early videos said that the Kia designers or engineers were still finalizing the rear seat bottom height. Could you subjectively feel how low the seat bottoms are relative to the floor? One thing I disliked about the Model S is the low rear seat bottom (to gain headroom). I hope the EV6 doesn't suffer from the same issue
  • How are the door materials (front and rear)? How does the door closing thud sound? Do the door handles auto-present themselves when you walk up with the key?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could you ask the follow questions on our behalf, please?

• Do the wheels (19" and 20") have aerodynamic wheel covers or are the designs we see the actual design of the alloy?
  • Is there a difference between the multi-reflector LED headlamp and the stacked projector headlamp? (e.g. do the project ones have a swivel feature or are they for LED Matrix functions?). The reason I ask is that the pre-production EV6 shown in NY and all the photos are of the multi-reflector type while the Korean ones (e.g. the blue GT-Line) features the projector headlamp design

Could you also check the following:

• How much space is there in the underfloor bin. Is there only one large one in the centre or are there smaller ones to the left or right side?
  • One of the early videos said that the Kia designers or engineers were still finalizing the rear seat bottom height. Could you subjectively feel how low the seat bottoms are relative to the floor? One thing I disliked about the Model S is the low rear seat bottom (to gain headroom). I hope the EV6 doesn't suffer from the same issue
  • How are the door materials (front and rear)? How does the door closing thud sound? Do the door handles auto-present themselves when you walk up with the key?
Hi

I will need to print your questions so I don’t forget :eek::ROFLMAO:
I will try my best to get a response back from the Kia stand re lights. As long as we can have a climb around the interior I can at least give some subjective feedback. Most of what your asking I wanted to know myself (y)
We are not back home until the Sunday evening so I will post then if I have found out what you want to know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey @SheffEV - Jealous you folks in the UK get to see the car in person.
Can I kindly add one more question to your list? :)

I was curious about these lights that are underneath the trunk. I do not think even the Ioniq 5 has them, and I keep looking for them in each video and image that pops up.
Could you kindly ask the purpose of these, and if they indeed do light up?

I'm guessing they are somewhat of a passenger's puddle light, similar to what is most likely there underneath the folding mirrors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a difference between the multi-reflector LED headlamp and the stacked projector headlamp? (e.g. do the project ones have a swivel feature or are they for LED Matrix functions?). The reason I ask is that the pre-production EV6 shown in NY and all the photos are of the multi-reflector type while the Korean ones (e.g. the blue GT-Line) features the projector headlamp design
To add additional context @KiaevCan question - you can distinguish this by looking at the lights. You can see the matrix (dots) pattern in the top LED module. Would be curious if this makes it to production/which models will receive it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey @SheffEV - Jealous you folks in the UK get to see the car in person.
Can I kindly add one more question to your list? :)

I was curious about these lights that are underneath the trunk. I do not think even the Ioniq 5 has them, and I keep looking for them in each video and image that pops up.
Could you kindly ask the purpose of these, and if they indeed do light up?

I'm guessing they are somewhat of a passenger's puddle light, similar to what is most likely there underneath the folding mirrors. View attachment 273
Great question. I forgot about those! They're under the rear spoiler actually. I, too, am curious to see how bright they are - can you actually see them in the dark and do they illuminate the shoulders properly like a puddle lamp under the mirrors illuminating the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are going to see one in the metal on the 19th July. I completely agree with your "quality" question. It is moving into the Jaguar iPace territory at the top end so its finish, materials, workmanship (do the doors shut with that solid feel. I feel the absence of a rear wiper is an issue, as well as any published data that the car with all its electronic wizardry cam parallel park (when exactly would you need to remotely park the car in a gap too narrow to open the door?).
1. What tires, make, model, size? They are critical, but often overlooked components of EVs. And your report will help us research other tests of them.
2. Does it feel like you’re sitting down into a car, across into a CUV, or up into a SUV?
3. How do you like the screens?
4. Forget zero-to-60 times, what are the 50-70 mph times (or 80-110?kph). These are what you really use, for highway passing not stoplight races.
4. Cornering??
5. One-pedal driving?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told for our 10th August visit to our dealer in Sheffield it’s a look around only. Car arrives at the dealership for 7:30am they get training and they have then clear the showroom of all their show cars just for the EV6. Car is then shipped to the next dealership at Rotherham for the following day.
Yup - the more I watch and read about this, it does look like just a look around and no test drive!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi All
Slightly disappointed is an understatement.

The car is one of two, I was told, in the UK. The one saw at Goodwood was a prototype and is likely to be doing the rounds at the show and tell. Staff on the stand only had a basic knowledge of the vehicle. Unfortunately that means most of the technical questions asked on here I couldn't get answers to.

So @WldnB
Tyres Continental SportContact 6 fitted
CUV or SUV: CUV was the feel. Although you certainly sitting higher in no way did it feel like an SUV. It does play with your head a little as it is very spacious inside but looking smaller on the the outside. So more crossover than SUV but the advantage of interior space of an SUV.
Dash displays. For me the highlight of the cabin. Clear crisp image and driver centric especially compared to the Ioniq 5. There was some lag but I would suggest that being a prototype the software is not final.
Your other questions I can't answer as it was a static display.
@Fiasco
Yes I was told this would be in production. Model and country specific.
@KiaevCan
Aerodynamic Wheel: the design is part of the alloy wheel.
Storage space rear underfloor. I was told that on those cars with the Meridian system most of the space will be taken up by the system. Enough space to get a couple of charger cables in. Without the Meridian system then small picnic box. The rear of the display car was full of kit so I was unable to get a picture. Amount of space was relayed by the stand staff.
Rear floor. A good question as all to frequently I have read how much the battery placement affects this. I am only 5 foot 6 so short. With a normal seating position thigh support was only just right. If you have longer legs then you will feel that the height of the floor affect your comfort. Having said that with the amount of longitudinal space it would be very easy to stretch out.
Front console under storage space. A fair amount. My wife could slide in her medium size handbag in without a problem. Think a half size supermarket shopping bag would be about right.
Center console. In a word brilliant. All the controls were laid out with the driver in mind. Dive control heating and ventilation controls for the seats all within easy reach.
Seats: subjective opinion as we only had a short period in the car, there was quite a queue. Very supportive with the side and thigh bolsters hugging you. Keep in mind I am short and weigh around 70kg so not large. I would say that they would be comfortable for most on a long trip.

Now for the bad bits, again it was a prototype so might be subject to change on the final release.

Fit felt solid and put together well. No Tesla gaps etc. However the plastics did not feel of a particularly high grade. Sorry to say but it felt a bit cheap. The "metal" decorative bits looked a bit tacky but that is very much subjective viewpoint. To put this into context. I drive a Kia Sportage, it felt the same standard of plastics. The other car we are considering is the Polestar 2 and that I have to say is ahead of the game in comparison.
It did also feel a bit dark, some lighter colours would have helped. If we had the GT Line it would be the S version and the sunroof to lighten the interior.
Exterior: It looks stunning tbh. Having watched enough YouTube vids I already liked the look but in the flesh, just wow.

A lot of the above is subjective and based on a prototype with stand staff whose knowledge was a bit lacking. Your experience and opinions may well be different.
IMG_20210709_102748.jpg IMG_20210709_102742.jpg IMG_20210709_102837.jpg IMG_20210709_102925.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
I forgot to add.
Would we buy it?
Despite our feelings about the interior yes subject to the drive and if we couldn't afford the Polestar.
Every time we have driven the Polestar 2 it brought a big grin for both of us. If the EV6 can do that the tech packaging out weighs the Polestar 2 and perhaps we can accept the difference in the quality of the interior. Thank for reading and I appreciate that I couldn't answer all of your questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All
Slightly disappointed is an understatement.

The car is one of two, I was told, in the UK. The one saw at Goodwood was a prototype and is likely to be doing the rounds at the show and tell. Staff on the stand only had a basic knowledge of the vehicle. Unfortunately that means most of the technical questions asked on here I couldn't get answers to.

So @WldnB
Tyres Continental SportContact 6 fitted
CUV or SUV: CUV was the feel. Although you certainly sitting higher in no way did it feel like an SUV. It does play with your head a little as it is very spacious inside but looking smaller on the the outside. So more crossover than SUV but the advantage of interior space of an SUV.
Dash displays. For me the highlight of the cabin. Clear crisp image and driver centric especially compared to the Ioniq 5. There was some lag but I would suggest that being a prototype the software is not final.
Your other questions I can't answer as it was a static display.
@Fiasco
Yes I was told this would be in production. Model and country specific.
@KiaevCan
Aerodynamic Wheel: the design is part of the alloy wheel.
Storage space rear underfloor. I was told that on those cars with the Meridian system most of the space will be taken up by the system. Enough space to get a couple of charger cables in. Without the Meridian system then small picnic box. The rear of the display car was full of kit so I was unable to get a picture. Amount of space was relayed by the stand staff.
Rear floor. A good question as all to frequently I have read how much the battery placement affects this. I am only 5 foot 6 so short. With a normal seating position thigh support was only just right. If you have longer legs then you will feel that the height of the floor affect your comfort. Having said that with the amount of longitudinal space it would be very easy to stretch out.
Front console under storage space. A fair amount. My wife could slide in her medium size handbag in without a problem. Think a half size supermarket shopping bag would be about right.
Center console. In a word brilliant. All the controls were laid out with the driver in mind. Dive control heating and ventilation controls for the seats all within easy reach.
Seats: subjective opinion as we only had a short period in the car, there was quite a queue. Very supportive with the side and thigh bolsters hugging you. Keep in mind I am short and weigh around 70kg so not large. I would say that they would be comfortable for most on a long trip.

Now for the bad bits, again it was a prototype so might be subject to change on the final release.

Fit felt solid and put together well. No Tesla gaps etc. However the plastics did not feel of a particularly high grade. Sorry to say but it felt a bit cheap. The "metal" decorative bits looked a bit tacky but that is very much subjective viewpoint. To put this into context. I drive a Kia Sportage, it felt the same standard of plastics. The other car we are considering is the Polestar 2 and that I have to say is ahead of the game in comparison.
It did also feel a bit dark, some lighter colours would have helped. If we had the GT Line it would be the S version and the sunroof to lighten the interior.
Exterior: It looks stunning tbh. Having watched enough YouTube vids I already liked the look but in the flesh, just wow.

A lot of the above is subjective and based on a prototype with stand staff whose knowledge was a bit lacking. Your experience and opinions may well be different. View attachment 277 View attachment 278 View attachment 279 View attachment 280 View attachment 277 View attachment 278 View attachment 279 View attachment 280
Awesome. Thank you very much for the feedback and the photos! Hope you enjoyed the Goodwood Festival as well.

Good to know that the wheels are true alloys and not aerodynamic covers. It's great to hear about the storage space as well. I suppose it is hard to judge the materials on a pre-production because you don't know what is production and what is just there to ensure there isn't a gaping hole lol.

I suppose the other vehicle is the one we saw from the media videos - the GT-Line type vehicle (apparently it's a mix of GT-Line and GT-Line S options so it's not a UK-spec car).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"However the plastics did not feel of a particularly high grade. " Re-cycled plastic bottles, so what would you expect...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts