Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Across the globe there are more than a few brand names / charging networks available to use to recharge your vehicle. By brand name which ones do you use the most, and which ones do you use the least?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Electify America - Due to the free charging, im using them as much as i can. The Walmart 2 miles from my house has 4 150kW DC chargers so its been good experience so far. I do wish that these could be charge more than 1 car at once. No complaints yet as i havent had much issues.

ChargePoint - Havent got a chance top use their DC stations but i used their AC stations a lot on my Chevy Volt and love it. Very easy to use and nice chaerging details. They're also the cheapest rates.

Blink - Their DC chargers are sparce in my area. But due to how $$$ the AC charging statrions are, prob will never use their DC stations

EV Go - Eh, only issue is that these can get $$$ quick if charging from a low battery.

·
Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
15 Posts
I am in central Delaware and Chargepoint is the only option,
But - They are all broken, showing ”No Status”
Some have been broken since October 2021

Good thing I have a home unit

Anyone else having issues with Chargepoint stations ?

·
Registered
986 Posts

I found out that ChargePoint operates differently than other charger brands. They sell their units but don’t actually directly maintain them. In other words, it’s up to the owner of that site to maintain their ChargePoint station and to notify ChargePoint to come service it.

Other brands own the station so they will send their own technicians to service them.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Extended
85 Posts
Electrify America is great, with an account you just tap your phone. You'll need an account if you're a kia ev owner to get you 1000kwh free charging.

The only other one I've setup an account for was Charge Point because I did a (150 mile each way) trip where that was my only option. I was happy with how it worked (also just tap your phone) and it was only 18 cents per kwh.

If you haven't seen it, try the A Better Route Planner app. You can try it on their website and customize parameters for your car and preferences.

www.abetterrouteplanner.com or load the app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is it just me or do you find www.abetterrouteplanner.com a little too strict in terms of how they route? i guess we just do long drives different than their calculations. I’m reluctant to end up at 10% at a charge station in the middle of nowhere. We did use their almost exact algorithm except charged a little longer at a few stations. We were traveling from St. Pete FL area to Annapolis MD. When we arrived at a station (FPL) in Yulee, FL at 10%, 5 of the 6 chargers were inoperable. The only working one was in use. So we waited. The rest of the trip I used plugshare and Google maps in combo to find preferable charge stations at locations that were not so remote.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
216 Posts
It may be a Premium feature only, but you can set your arrival at a charging station SoC. I planned one with 30%, but it wanted me to slow down to 60-65mph for a significant distance. I changed the arrival SoC for that stop and now it showed I could drive normally. I have my driving speed in the app set for 70mph, even where the speed limit is more. I don’t have to get wherever I’m going that much faster, usually 10-15 minutes faster, and use that much energy.
Of course, this is just my way and everyone will be different.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD Extended
85 Posts
Is it just me or do you find www.abetterrouteplanner.com a little too strict in terms of how they route? i guess we just do long drives different than their calculations. I’m reluctant to end up at 10% at a charge station in the middle of nowhere. We did use their almost exact algorithm except charged a little longer at a few stations. We were traveling from St. Pete FL area to Annapolis MD. When we arrived at a station (FPL) in Yulee, FL at 10%, 5 of the 6 chargers were inoperable. The only working one was in use. So we waited. The rest of the trip I used plugshare and Google maps in combo to find preferable charge stations at locations that were not so remote.
You can loosen up the metrics it plans your route with, I'm not sure if you played with those or not. I was able to get it to extend stops out further and reduce the number of stops with those. And I'll be tempted to finish each charge a little higher than what they show just to have a little more reserve until I have a little more experience behind me. So far from my experience getting below 10% isn't an issue now and then, just don't make it a habit if you don’t have to.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
You can loosen up the metrics it plans your route with, I'm not sure if you played with those or not. I was able to get it to extend stops out further and reduce the number of stops with those. And I'll be tempted to finish each charge a little higher than what they show just to have a little more reserve until I have a little more experience behind me. So far from my experience getting below 10% isn't an issue now and then, just don't make it a habit if you don’t have to.
You can change the departure and arrival amounts for both the charging stops and the start and end points of your trip.

In practice, you'll probably charge higher than what ABRP says simply because the car charges very quickly. By the time you've stretched your legs, hit the restroom, bought a snack, talked to the folks asking questions about your car, etc., you've probably blown way through your charging target. I expect I'll always charge to at least 80% because it gets to 80 very quickly. In practice so far, I have yet to leave a charger under 90%, whether I needed it or not.

Also, nobody says you have to skip a charger because you planned it out that way. Your body needs breaks too, even if the car doesn't.

Worst comes to worst, if you find yourself heading towards a charger and you don't think you'll make it, and there's no other chargers around, just slow down. I just watched a youtube video where someone tested an EV6 on highway driving at 55, 65, and 75 mph. There's roughly a 20% difference in efficiency between 55 and 65, and another 20% difference between 65 and 75. You can increase efficiency by 40% by slowing down from 75 to 55. Put another way, there's almost a 100 mile difference in range between going 55 and 75 mph.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
87 Posts
Electrify America and EVGo are most common by me. Use mostly EA to apply my credits and because it can be hard to figure out what charging level you're going to get at an EVG charger until you stop and look it up in the app.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The day after I purchased my car I drove from Florida to Michigan.Got a quick education on charging on the road. Used Electrify America for all but one charge. Decided not to get off the highway in Atlanta and found my self in a dead zone for high speed charging. Had to sit for 2 hours to get enough charge to get to the next EA station. Day 2 we plotted every stop before we got on the road that worked well. Did have an issue with 3 EA stations not accepting the Kia prepaid and had to use a credit card

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow. At least we waited a couple of weeks. We learned a lot. It’s different traveling with an EV but not terrible. i do plot out long trips and I do look out for those dead zones.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind with Tech Package
4 Posts

Long time DE resident just moved to NJ recently but went back after buying the EV6 to visit friends and this WAWA was rebuilt with Tesla and non tesla sides and was good:

It's right off of 95 or a straight shot via RT1 or 13.
And being a WAWA after you get a snack and drink you're ready to leave.
I realize it's a 40 min + trek from central DE (That's why I stopped to top off on the way to Dover from NJ) but lots of stations and seems to be an oasis in a desert for fast chargers.
FWIW in the more rural part of NJ I'm in I have to go 30 mins for a fast charge option, use my home plug otherwise.
Plus free with the credit for now.

I'm just excited to see a Delawarean on the forums.

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
87 Posts

I realize it's a 40 min + trek from central DE (That's why I stopped to top off on the way to Dover from NJ) but lots of stations and seems to be an oasis in a desert for fast chargers.
FWIW in the more rural part of NJ I'm in I have to go 30 mins for a fast charge option, use my home plug otherwise.

Going up 95 to NJ it's quick jaunt from 295 just before the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Great EA charger. That's the charger I've gotten the best charging speed at (170kW max 140kw average). While new, the Wawa is a bit sketchy. In what kind of neighborhood does a Wawa make you pay for the cup before pouring your fountain drink?

·
Registered
FE 1010 Glacier
15 Posts
Long time DE resident just moved to NJ recently but went back after buying the EV6 to visit friends and this WAWA was rebuilt with Tesla and non tesla sides and was good:

I like that station too, I use it when I go to Costco in New Castle
Maybe EA can buy out Chargepoint and get their S… together. :)

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
78 Posts
I like that station too, I use it when I go to Costco in New Castle
Maybe EA can buy out Chargepoint and get their S… together. :)
Highly doubtful since ChargePoint units are owned by the establishment owner/operator. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure the unit is in working order. CP owners can purchase a service contract where CP monitors and maintains the unit. EA owns their units. CP should change their model so that the fees cover future repairs that way the owner does not have an option to not repair the unit. If you find a broken CP unit, please report it to the owner of the establishment it is at and report it broken on Plugshare.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can change the departure and arrival amounts for both the charging stops and the start and end points of your trip.
Is that only in premium? Or the free version. I'm still waiting on my EV6. But played around with the app and computer version. Did not like it having me coming in at 10% on some routes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts