Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Still new to driving an EV, had my EV6 for ~5 weeks and 1300 miles. So far I've only used EA chargers. I've had 350 kW chargers that ran around 77 kW and lower; well below 80%. I've had EA 150 kW chargers delivery 173 kW; not sure how that happens, but the charger and the car both claimed 173 kW and not just a moment, but for 20-30% addition onto my power level. Today that system got all the way down to 108 kW as it approached 80%, so not bad.

We're going on a trip in a couple of weeks it it looks like a ChargePoint charger is in the best location for a "top off"; mostly buffer to get "back to civilization". We're heading up to a country lake home that my wife's brother and SIL own and there's no chargers very near there and only low 6.6 kW Level 2 chargers, around 20-30 miles away. So, I want some range to get back the interstate and DC Fast chargers. As I said, I'm new to EVs.

I've played around with ABRP, but so far I've very unimpressed. I'd have it plot out longer routes than GoogleMaps, and not very efficient routes either. Maybe as it was missing an EA 350 kW charger along a better route, or wasn't picking it for some reason. Just tried it again and now it gets the route I would have picked with GoogleMaps. Just not thrilled with the interface.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind with Tech Package
4 Posts
Going up 95 to NJ it's quick jaunt from 295 just before the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Great EA charger. That's the charger I've gotten the best charging speed at (170kW max 140kw average). While new, the Wawa is a bit sketchy. In what kind of neighborhood does a Wawa make you pay for the cup before pouring your fountain drink?
Ooof I used to work right next door for a decade awhile back and a co-worker had an attempted car jacking at the "old" wawa here pre-remodel. He used to joke about what kinda thief tries to steal a Saturn. I wasn't sure if this face lift made a difference but was hoping so.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind with Tech Package
4 Posts
I like that station too, I use it when I go to Costco in New Castle
Maybe EA can buy out Chargepoint and get their S… together. :)
Yeah best of luck. I had anxiety until I got my home charger. Luckily I do local quick driving so it's not so bad at all anymore.
I'm sure it's frustrating having something nearby, which is a new technology you rely on, being Out of service so long. You'd think it would be something they'd keep on top of.
It makes me wonder if the first petrol stations after ford's new "automated" carriage were few and far in-between.

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
78 Posts
View attachment 5448

There should be a ✏ next to each location. You can change the SOC once you click on it.
You can also globally set the minimum charging and destination SOC as well as many other parameters by clicking the hamburger icon (3 horizontal lines) in the upper left and then selecting Battery. If you want to alter the SOC for an individual charging stop then do just as mentioned.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I too prefer Electrify America -- not only is it free at least for now, but their chargers are by far the fastest. I have had good experiences with ChargePoint, which is prevalent when I am traveling in Georgia. I have only used EVgo a couple times and have had mixed experiences, in one case charging a full 10% in a 30-minute charge.

ABRP is pretty conservative. I generally beat their estimates by quite a bit, so I definitely recalibrate after each charge. Having the OBD dongle helps with that. The other x-factor is the amount of local driving I may do at a stop on the journey, so I try to leave a margin for that.

I definitely use PlugShare in tandem with ABRP to double-check the stops. If I don't like what it is picking, I select my charger by setting it as a waypoint. (Be sure to click on the charger itself and set that as the waypoint. Setting the waypoint to the establishment where the charger is located may not be enough to change ABRP's calculation of where to stop.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah best of luck. I had anxiety until I got my home charger. Luckily I do local quick driving so it's not so bad at all anymore.
I'm sure it's frustrating having something nearby, which is a new technology you rely on, being Out of service so long. You'd think it would be something they'd keep on top of.
It makes me wonder if the first petrol stations after ford's new "automated" carriage were few and far in-between.
Well.....in those "early years" of gas powered carriages, most often the only source of gasoline in the U.S. was "hardware stores" that would have a tank and a pump! .....and they were "few and far in-beween!"

·
Registered
22 G-Line RWD Yacht Blue
87 Posts
What about the EVgo charging stations?
I've used EVGo a couple of times. They mostly performed as advertised, but my big issue is it can be hard to tell what the charging capacity is before you plug in. The ones I've used don't have a number on the unit like EAs. You can only tell using the app.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Across the globe there are more than a few brand names / charging networks available to use to recharge your vehicle. By brand name which ones do you use the most, and which ones do you use the least?
I would like to add one point. Besides the brand of charger, be sure you look at the different apps, including PlugShare as mentioned in a follow-on post.
Last week I rented a Tesla Model X on Turo for a day to try it out. When I picked up the car, the J 1772 adapter was stuck in the charge port and could not be removed. The owner said it was OK to drive with the adapter installed and the charging door open. So I took the car without a worry.
I drove ~120 miles to small town in Georgia. When I got there, I tried to charge the car but because the adapter was stuck in the charge port, I could not charge on a Tesla destination charger, and I referred to the ChargePoint app to find local charger, the only charging station in town according to CP app. When I got there I couldn’t charge the car because the charging cable wouldn’t fit the J1772 adapter because the cable had the two extra plugs below the J1772 fitting.
Thinking that I was stuck being unable to charge the car, I referred to the PlugShare app and found another ChargePoint charger only a mile away that wasn’t in ChargePoint app. The charger belonged to a restaurant/hotel (maybe that’s why it wasn’t on the CP app) and only had the J1772 cable fitting, so I was able to charge there…and for free with permission from hotel.
The point is that the apps you utilize are also as important as the brand of charger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it just me or do you find www.abetterrouteplanner.com a little too strict in terms of how they route? i guess we just do long drives different than their calculations. I’m reluctant to end up at 10% at a charge station in the middle of nowhere. We did use their almost exact algorithm except charged a little longer at a few stations. We were traveling from St. Pete FL area to Annapolis MD. When we arrived at a station (FPL) in Yulee, FL at 10%, 5 of the 6 chargers were inoperable. The only working one was in use. So we waited. The rest of the trip I used plugshare and Google maps in combo to find preferable charge stations at locations that were not so remote.
I was looking at A Better Route Planner for fun, looking at route from Amarillo to Las Vegas. Sometimes the ABRP route doesn’t seem to make sense. Along that route, ABRP has you leaving Interstate 40 to go up to Santa Fe (way out of the way) for a charge then coming back through Albuquerque and back in I40 headed west, even though there are plenty of charging stations in ABQ that are totally reachable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was looking at A Better Route Planner for fun, looking at route from Amarillo to Las Vegas. Sometimes the ABRP route doesn’t seem to make sense. Along that route, ABRP has you leaving Interstate 40 to go up to Santa Fe (way out of the way) for a charge then coming back through Albuquerque and back in I40 headed west, even though there are plenty of charging stations in ABQ that are totally reachable.
Check the preferred networks in the settings to allow more options.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts