Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 EV6, Wind AWD/Tech Gray/Gray
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time EV owner...not certain if I have unfounded fears of being stranded...but I keep thinking I'm missing a vital cable or connector.

Wondering what everyone is carrying around with them.
I have my turboCord that is a 5-15 and 6-20
The green extension is a 5-15, 10-gauge 50'...figure it'd be useful as a V2L as well
The yellow extension is a 6-20, 12-gauge 25'
The two orange converters would be used with the 6-20 yellow extension
14-30 to 6-20...for a dryer​
14-50 to 6-20...rv park​

Luggage and bags Bag Garden hose Backpack Audio equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
195 Posts
First time EV owner...not certain if I have unfounded fears of being stranded...but I keep thinking I'm missing a vital cable or connector.

The green extension is a 5-15, 10-gauge 50'...figure it'd be useful as a V2L as well
14-50 to 6-20...rv park​

View attachment 6745
Wow you are prepared for everything. I have the same portable EVSE stored in the frunk and this 14-50P addapter.

Amazon.com : ONETAK NEMA 14-50P to 6-15R 6-20R Compact 240V 50 Amp 3 Prong Male Plug to 240V 15 Amp 20 Amp 3 Prong Female Receptacle Generator Welder Dryer EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Connector : Tools & Home Improvement

·
Registered
33 Posts
First time ev owner here as well. Is there a recommendation for a cable you should always have with you in the car? I've only been to electrify America chargers so far which all seem to have their own cables

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've driven EVs for a few years now. I've never used any at all. I had extra cables in my first EV but I just plug it in to the public chargers. I honestly don't even know what the EV6 came with.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, since you asked.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

I have NEMA (sans neutral as it's not needed for 240V) 14-50, 14-30, 6-50 (think welding outlet), TT-30, 5-20 and a converter to 5-15. Oh, also the Tesla Tap. But all of those plugs go with my portable charger kept in the frunk now.
Hood Automotive battery Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

Most common ones you will use will be 5-15 and 14-50 (RV power at campground). The others are common but more for just in case. 14-30 for dryer use at 240V. The TT-30 is an RV one as well, but that's a 30A single phase so all you get is 120V charging.

·
Registered
131 Posts

14-50 to 6-20...rv park​

View attachment 6745
Love what you have here.
Right now a portable 110 /115 V charger because their's a plug everywhere, and a 14-50 NEMA portable because it makes me feel better and can be adapted to 30 AMP.
That big extension cord is the key to making it work in more situations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Tesla mobile charger that I have a ton of adapters for...rarely used it. Will probably take it for trips but in my 3 years of EV ownership, just used public chargers on trips and free level 2 when i can find it. I will still carry the Tesla charger when i roadtrip this car but I live in California where EV chargers are pretty available.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting, I was thinking about the Tesla adapter but since superchargers don't work for non Tesla vehicles yet I think I'll wait to see if they enable that before looking for one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, since you asked.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

I have NEMA (sans neutral as it's not needed for 240V) 14-50, 14-30, 6-50 (think welding outlet), TT-30, 5-20 and a converter to 5-15. Oh, also the Tesla Tap. But all of those plugs go with my portable charger kept in the frunk now.
Hood Automotive battery Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

Most common ones you will use will be 5-15 and 14-50 (RV power at campground). The others are common but more for just in case. 14-30 for dryer use at 240V. The TT-30 is an RV one as well, but that's a 30A single phase so all you get is 120V charging.
Haha nice collection! Yeah I don't really use mine for any of those use cases so I don't think I'll need them. Nice to know though!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Haha nice collection! Yeah I don't really use mine for any of those use cases so I don't think I'll need them. Nice to know though!
Mine is a carry over of earlier days. Comes in handy once in a blue moon now. The Tesla Tap is more useful. Got a move coming up where I'll be driving my EV6 from New England back to CO. The portable might be useful then, you never know. I know the Tesla Tap will be useful as one hotel has 3 Tesla chargers and 1 J1772.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting, I was thinking about the Tesla adapter but since superchargers don't work for non Tesla vehicles yet I think I'll wait to see if they enable that before looking for one.
The Tesla adapter is mainly used for Tesla destination chargers, not Superchargers. There are thousands of Tesla destination chargers, so this is why many people have the adapter. Others have the adapter so that they can use Tesla mobile chargers and wall chargers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts