Kia EV6 Forum banner

What are you experiences with voice commands?

• love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very disappointed with the whole voice recognition/commands that EV6 has to offer. It is so primitive and robotic in the way that you have to speak like an R2-D2 or a toddler, similar to my 2016 Subaru Outback that I no longer use.

I got really frustrated that it does not even understand "turn display/screen off", simple stuff like that. And to look for a nearby charging station, it does not offer much besides asking me to say a number in response. How would it be possible to look at the # while driving and not knowing where the heck that is, and it gives you like 3 seconds to reply...

In comparison to the BMW i3 I had it is night and day. BMW's infotainment system is very natural and you can talk normally and ask questions/direction/business as if you were using google. EV6's software has a loooong way to go in order to make it a usable experience.

Do you guys think it is something that can be updated in the future? What are you user experience thus far?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually - if you long press the voice command button and have an iPhone connected via Bluetooth - Siri comes on (even when CarPlay is not being used). This has worked well for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is the degree of usefulness:
  • If I say "Home" it directs me to my home address.
  • If I say "Work" it doesn't direct me to my work address. Rather it provides a list of destinations with the word Work in their names -- Workers Compensation Board, Water Works, etc., etc.
  • If I say "Take me to Work" it gives me that same list.
Not that useful would be an understatement. You really have to work around the limitations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I want to use the built-in nav, generally typing works best. Or I just default back to Siri -- Kia makes her look like a genius, which actually says more about Kia than Siri.

What would be awesome is if you could forward an address from Apple Maps or any other decent system to the Kia system. I read somewhere that might be possible but never figured it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, lots of $ spent on that infotainment system plus the augmented display. so it would be nice to utilize the Kia navi anyway possible to justify the price we all paid. I use Andriod auto. If anyone knows any tricks let's share them, please!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually - if you long press the voice command button and have an iPhone connected via Bluetooth - Siri comes on (even when CarPlay is not being used). This has worked well for me.
So I tried the Android Auto with only Bluetooth connected and the long press on the voice command did not work...It brought me back to the default Kia command. It only worked when I connected my Samsung galaxy phone directly via USB then the long press would activate Google. Do any other Andriod users have any feedback?

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
So I tried the Android Auto with only Bluetooth connected and the long press on the voice command did not work...It brought me back to the default Kia command. It only worked when I connected my Samsung galaxy phone directly via USB then the long press would activate Google. Do any other Andriod users have any feedback?
Same

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do some of the commands require a Kia Connect/Access subscription? I ask because I just received my vehicle so I haven’t had the chance to subscribe yet and I found that the voice command list of words quite limited.

Some of the things that I saw that could be done (thanks to EV Odyssey on YT), can’t be done on my car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do some of the commands require a Kia Connect/Access subscription? I ask because I just received my vehicle so I haven’t had the chance to subscribe yet and I found that the voice command list of words quite limited.

Some of the things that I saw that could be done (thanks to EV Odyssey on YT), can’t be done on my car.
I am pretty sure that is the case but keep your expectations low,

·
Registered
GT-Line 2 (initial 200)
716 Posts
The total list of commands really isn't that great or that long. The main ones::
  • Call
  • Dial
  • Find [POI - defined list only]
  • Go Home
  • Go To Work
  • FM / AM / SiriusXM
  • Search settings for ...
There are other misc. commands but these are the biggies. Like, seriously - you can't even choose a Media source? No climate / seats / steering heater / defrost? Meh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts