Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Kia EV 6 will be my wife’s car. Although we plan to charge it 90% on the time in our garage which had this EVSE:
Clipper Creek Level II 240v 32 Amp (on 40 amp breaker), which has a J2773 plug ( 24’ cord…
Hopefully this will charge the EV 6 in ~ 9 hr( overnight) to at least 80% for battery health
Besides something like the Webasto Turbo Dual 120/240 charge plug .. What other set of adapters/cords should I get get my wife given the set up you all see at public EVSEs and to gave “ just in case”? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Kia EV 6 will be my wife’s car. Although we plan to charge it 90% on the time in our garage which had this EVSE:
Clipper Creek Level II 240v 32 Amp (on 40 amp breaker), which has a J2773 plug ( 24’ cord…
Hopefully this will charge the EV 6 in ~ 9 hr( overnight) to at least 80% for battery health
Besides something like the Webasto Turbo Dual 120/240 charge plug .. What other set of adapters/cords should I get get my wife given the set up you all see at public EVSEs and to gave “ just in case”? Thank you in advance
I have been driving a Chevy Bolt for more than a year. On my long road trips and "country" stays this is what I have found necessary:
a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for hotels which have Tesla destination chargers. (This will not work with a Tesla fast charger). A 120 V J1772 charger with cord for B&B's and other out of the way destinations. I also carry a 50' outdoor rated extension cord.
A 240V J1772 charger for use in RV parks and other places that can supply 240 V.
If you can get a combo 120/240v charger you can combine the 2 that I mentioned. I order my adaptors from Lectron-EV. They have high quality products.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have a chargepoint station at home permanently setup there, and it works pretty well. I am looking at something like this unit to keep in the car: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-Dual-voltage-Portable-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B07GYYMW94?ref_=ast_sto_dp.

The benefits to this are that it would handle both lower and higher charge levels while on the road.

Ideally I'd keep this in the frunk - but I'm not sure it will fit in there.
I bought this one and it work great, and fits in the frunk. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PQ42SJ4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
490 Posts
Have a chargepoint station at home permanently setup there, and it works pretty well. I am looking at something like this unit to keep in the car: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-Dual-voltage-Portable-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B07GYYMW94?ref_=ast_sto_dp.

The benefits to this are that it would handle both lower and higher charge levels while on the road.

Ideally I'd keep this in the frunk - but I'm not sure it will fit in there.
But...but...is it UL-listed? ;) According to the product notes for it on Amazon, the answer is "no"; whether that matters or not to you is up to you...

I had the one @elkkk purchased but returned it for two reasons--one, not too happy about it being able to pull 16A over a 15A / 120V circuit (technically not a deal-breaker by itself in my case as I simply plugged it into a NEMA 14-50 using a plug adapter); two, it's not UL-listed. Will probably go with the Webasto as it is UL-listed.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts
I have been driving a Chevy Bolt for more than a year. On my long road trips and "country" stays this is what I have found necessary:
a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for hotels which have Tesla destination chargers. (This will not work with a Tesla fast charger). A 120 V J1772 charger with cord for B&B's and other out of the way destinations. I also carry a 50' outdoor rated extension cord.
A 240V J1772 charger for use in RV parks and other places that can supply 240 V.
If you can get a combo 120/240v charger you can combine the 2 that I mentioned. I order my adaptors from Lectron-EV. They have high quality products.
We just got back from a big road trip with a very similar setup. The only one we actually needed was the Tesla-J1772 adapter at a hotel. We packed a multi-voltage EVSE for RV parks and/or level-1 charging, but only as a contingency. We never needed it.

At the rate that EV charging penetration is increasing today, I'd hold off on getting a full suite of adapters until you actually go about your trip planning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just got back from a big road trip with a very similar setup. The only one we actually needed was the Tesla-J1772 adapter at a hotel. We packed a multi-voltage EVSE for RV parks and/or level-1 charging, but only as a contingency. We never needed it.

At the rate that EV charging penetration is increasing today, I'd hold off on getting a full suite of adapters until you actually go about your trip planning.
Regarding trip planning and AC chargers. Does anyone know how many amps the AC charger settings Max, Reduced, and Min (pg 1-15 of the manual ) allow to be pulled?

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts
Regarding trip planning and AC chargers. Does anyone know how many amps the AC charger settings Max, Reduced, and Min (pg 1-15 of the manual ) allow to be pulled?
It may vary depending on what voltage and possibly what the EVSE is providing. I do know that on a 120 V circuit with an EVSE capable of providing 16 amps, the "Min" setting gives you 8 amps. I haven't tested it, but my guess is that "reduced" would be 12 amps and "Max" would be the maximum that the EVSE could provide, which would be 16 amps.

·
Registered
Wind RWD
16 Posts
I carry the Zencar Level 1 / 2 16amp charger in the car as it'll do 5-15 and 6-20. Nice thing about it is that you can set the amperage on the unit so if I need to plug in to 5-15, bump it down to 12amps on the charger. I also have a 6-20 to 14-30 adapter (for charging at my relatives where their drier is plugged in) and a 6-20 to 14-50 adapter for camp ground/public utility, etc hookups. That will get me out of any real jam no matter the situation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Found a second hand Tesla Mobile Charger for $125 that came with a 5-15 adapter. Bought a 14-30 and 14-50 plug for it as well to cover all my bases. I then got a TeslaTap Mini 60 A to be able to use it with my car. Bonus is that I can use the same adapter to use any Tesla destination chargers or if I am at someone's house that has a Tesla charger. All in I spent around $450 which is what I expected to pay for a dual voltage UL rated charger, but have way more flexibility then any of the other options.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line
112 Posts
Besides my permanent charger at home. In the frunk I carry: 25ft J1772 Extension Cord. This fixes L2 chargers when cable won't reach, or the parking spot is ICE'd. I also carry an original 32a TeslaTap that allows me to connect to any Tesla Destination Charger. This has been super useful over the years, a lot of hotels will have Tesla only chargers and I can use them. In my trunk lower compartment I carry: a Mustart 32a EVSE that is dual voltage and works off 110/220v. I have heads for NEMA 5-15, 14-50, and 6-50. This covers most plugs I'd encounter at friends, AirBNB, and RV campgrounds. I also carry a 10guage 50ft 110v extension cord, UL listed and designed for super high load. With the above pieces, I'm covered in about any situation.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, since you asked.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

I have NEMA (sans neutral as it's not needed for 240V) 14-50, 14-30, 6-50 (think welding outlet), TT-30, 5-20 and a converter to 5-15. Oh, also the Tesla Tap. But all of those plugs go with my portable charger kept in the frunk now.
Hood Automotive battery Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

Most common ones you will use will be 5-15 and 14-50 (RV power at campground). The others are common but more for just in case. 14-30 for dryer use at 240V. The TT-30 is an RV one as well, but that's a 30A single phase so all you get is 120V charging.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts
I have NEMA (sans neutral as it's not needed for 240V) 14-50, 14-30, 6-50 (think welding outlet), TT-30, 5-20 and a converter to 5-15. Oh, also the Tesla Tap. But all of those plugs go with my portable charger kept in the frunk now.
Kids, you don't know what it was like! Why, you might have to sit at a campground for half a day waiting for the car to get enough energy to limp along to the next one. Don't believe me? Its true! Here, let ol' grandpappy show you his picture album from back in the day...

Its great to have a reminder of what EV owners from just a few years ago had to deal with. Despite all the doom and gloom out there, it really does feel like we're living at the cusp of a new golden age of the electric car.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 FE (0035/1500) Matte Grey - Full Body XPEL Stealth Film
4 Posts
For in the car I have the Shell 40A portable charger. It comes with a nice semi hard shell case and a three prong adapter for 120v charging. I actually took it out of the case and it fits under the cargo deck with the tire kit, etc.

SHELL Electric Vehicle Charger Level 2, 40 Amp Fast Charging EV Charger 240V, EV Home Charge Station with 30ft Cable, Electric Car Charging Adapter with NEMA 14-50R Plug, Compatible with SAE J1772 EVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZHMLP8B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5XYXA9JFGJ6VKXJ2CDA7

For my home setup I have the 40A Grizzl-e Smart Charger. The “smart” functions aren’t that smart yet, but the software will improve over time. Really don’t need it to be smart though, the car can set charge times which is all I really need it to do. Grizzl-e unit is like a tank and is UL certified.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kids, you don't know what it was like! Why, you might have to sit at a campground for half a day waiting for the car to get enough energy to limp along to the next one. Don't believe me? Its true! Here, let ol' grandpappy show you his picture album from back in the day...

Its great to have a reminder of what EV owners from just a few years ago had to deal with. Despite all the doom and gloom out there, it really does feel like we're living at the cusp of a new golden age of the electric car.
lol. Well, honestly the frequency one might have to use a portable is very low and it has gotten a ton better. The only time it really got used was literally car camping where you just get a spot with an RV outlet and plug the car in at night so you can travel around during the day. Couple bucks more a day in rental, but so worth it. I would say you can get away without a portable, but since I already have one and well, what else am I going to use the frunk or underfloor storage for?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depends upon where she travels. If it's along interstates, then she can use DC Fast chargers. A lot quicker to charge up and continue on. Get off the beaten path and it starts dropping off to J1772 and Tesla destination chargers, which will need hours to give her a meaningful charge. For the lower Level 2 chargers maybe a Tesla to J1772 adapter; doesn't work for Tesla Superchargers.

Make sure she's set-up with the free 1,000 kWh from Electrify America. That's a big help when traveling.

We're driving up to a lake house my wife's brother and SIL own in NC in a couple of weeks. There are no nearby DC Fast chargers and the Level 2 chargers aren't very close either. With the range of the EV6 it's still not a big deal. This is my first EV, so I'm "topping off" at a DC Fast at lunch on the way there. ABRP says I could drive there and then back to an EA 350 kW charger, including passing by a 50 kW charger (the one I'm topping off at on the way up) , and still have 11% left, but I want more buffer.

If she drives to locations like that regularly, then portable Level 1 and Level 2 options could be useful, as well as a Tesla adapter. Especially if you guys stay there for a week or more. We're just going up for the weekend, so unlikely there will be more driving around up there.

Take a look at PlugShare. Set up the filters for a EV6; DC Fast CCS and J1772. Look to see where you guys go most often.

So far I don't have a Tesla adapter or portable Level 1 / Level 2 charger in my EV6.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts