1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Somewhere I read that the "black" portion of the EV6 wheels are a separate
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

piece, and are actually held in place by clips. I found this hard to believe, but thought I would ask.

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
2,467 Posts
Someone who has there car must be able to answer this and let us all know 100%

Reactions: Chip

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read comments lately that to remove the "ridged plastic pieces" the wheels need to be removed from the car, and that those pieces are removed from the back side of the wheels by removing fasteners. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true that might mean there are holes in these wheels for the fasteners to pass through?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've read comments lately that to remove the "ridged plastic pieces" the wheels need to be removed from the car, and that those pieces are removed from the back side of the wheels by removing fasteners. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true that might mean there are holes in these wheels for the fasteners to pass through?
Given the feel of them as I was poking around, this seems likely to me. They don't feel like just snaps. I'll have to have a look.

EDIT: Yep, confirmed, 3 phillips head screws hold them on from the back of the spoke. You don't have to pull the wheel off to get to them, but it seems easiest. There's only 2" or so of clearance to the rotor, so you need a low profile ratchet to get at them. And you have to rotate the wheels a bit at least once to get to the last panel blocked by the caliper.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given the feel of them as I was poking around, this seems likely to me. They don't feel like just snaps. I'll have to have a look.

EDIT: Yep, confirmed, 3 phillips head screws hold them on from the back of the spoke. You don't have to pull the wheel off to get to them, but it seems easiest. There's only 2" or so of clearance to the rotor, so you need a low profile ratchet to get at them. And you have to rotate the wheels a bit at least once to get to the last panel blocked by the caliper.
So that's 3 per spoke for a total of 15 per wheel. Right? That means 15 through holes in each wheel? That's not going to look good without some sort of remedial work if you want to remove the plastic. I wonder what the spokes look like with the plastic removed. Oh Alexw... ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
So that's 3 per spoke for a total of 15 per wheel. Right? That means 15 through holes in each wheel? That's not going to look good without some sort of remedial work if you want to remove the plastic. I wonder what the spokes look like with the plastic removed. Oh Alexw... ;)
Exactly. I imagine they look pretty bad with the covers removed. I think it'd be more like replacing them with something aftermarket that changes up the styling a little. No promises but I'll keep it in mind to take a picture if I get bored :)

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. I imagine they look pretty bad with the covers removed. I think it'd be more like replacing them with something aftermarket that changes up the styling a little. No promises but I'll keep it in mind to take a picture if I get bored :)
I found a picture on the reverse side, but I still wonder what the outside look like sans the plastic bits,and if a cosmetic plastic dip / spray application would improve the appearance?

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
LOL it's a good thing I didn't try to force the issue in attempting to remove those panels even though I could definitely feel some flex/give in them while prying the edges with a panel removal tool.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL it's a good thing I didn't try to force the issue in attempting to remove those panels even though I could definitely feel some flex/give in them while prying the edges with a panel removal tool.
For sure, if you do pull off a wheel and remove the black pieces be sure to take a picture of the exterior of the wheel.

·
Registered
2022 Stinger, 2019 Sorento, 2017 Sportage
262 Posts
Alexw- So what are you going to do now that you got the wheels off? Are those calipers painted silver or unpainted. I was thinking of painting the calipers on the GT line I have on order.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Alexw- So what are you going to do now that you got the wheels off? Are those calipers painted silver or unpainted. I was thinking of painting the calipers on the GT line I have on order.
I mean it’s back on now! I do think I’ll eventually paint the calipers- maybe yellow. I couldn’t tell you whether it’s bare metal or painted silver- I’ve never seen a clean caliper before :)

·
Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I mean it’s back on now! I do think I’ll eventually paint the calipers- maybe yellow. I couldn’t tell you whether it’s bare metal or painted silver- I’ve never seen a clean caliper before :)
Alex; Thanks for the pictures! Those holes are a lot larger than I expected!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Constructive criticism only--too late for now I suppose, but a missed opportunity to weigh the factory wheel/tire combo since I think at least one person had wondered as to how heavy (or light) an aftermarket wheel/tire setup would be compared to the factory combo.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Constructive criticism only--too late for now I suppose, but a missed opportunity to weigh the factory wheel/tire combo since I think at least one person had wondered as to how heavy (or light) an aftermarket wheel/tire setup would be compared to the factory combo.
I thought about measuring, then didn’t because it felt like too much work at the time. What I should have thought of is using my luggage scale, which would have been not too much. Maybe soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts