Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD in Aurora Black Pearl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and her husband have a BWM i3 and they live by the motto, "Always Be Charging." So if the car is at their home, it's always plugged in to the Level 1 portable charger.

I haven't found any specific guidance on the EV6. I work from home and my EV6 will sit in the garage for most of the day. Should I plug it in to keep the batteries topped off, or drive it down and then charge?

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure on what kia recommends but Tesla's recommendation is to keep it plugged in when not in use.
I also think it's good practice to not charge above 90% unless you need to use it, actually leave the % charge at 60%-70% if you can, depending on your daily needs.
I've been treating my cell phone the same way and it doesn't degrade nearly close to what it did when charging to 100% nightly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think this is something people worry about too much. Just do whatever suits you, you’re extremely unlikely to do any damage unless you leave it sitting at less than a few % or at 100% for many many hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My daughter and her husband have a BWM i3 and they live by the motto, "Always Be Charging." So if the car is at their home, it's always plugged in to the Level 1 portable charger.

I haven't found any specific guidance on the EV6. I work from home and my EV6 will sit in the garage for most of the day. Should I plug it in to keep the batteries topped off, or drive it down and then charge?

Any thoughts on this?
Checked with dealer today about getting a level 1 charger. Parts man says no level 1 foe EV6! Anyone using a level 1 on their EV6?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kia says to only charge to 80% most of the time. Go to 100% if you need to for a long drive. Regardless, once per month you should charge to 100%. Avoid DC fast chargers if you can, again, most of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Checked with dealer today about getting a level 1 charger. Parts man says no level 1 foe EV6! Anyone using a level 1 on their EV6?
Suggest level 2 if you can swing it (cost+ breaker box openings), but if you're going level one, stay away from the dealership. A lot of the residential level 2 makers also make level 1 chargers that you'll get cheaper.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Any thoughts on this?
Which version i3 do they have? I had a first-gen i3 (60Ah aka ~22kWh) and its normal range was so short (80 miles on a good day) that "ABC" (or at least charging daily) was pretty much a necessity. I now have the third-gen i3 (120Ah aka ~44kWh) and charge it much less frequently - once every 7-10 days depending on how much I drive it. Also, now I can comfortably charge it to only 80% most of the time because I'm not working with 80% of 80 miles....

The EV6 battery is almost 2x the size of my current i3, I can see no real downside to mostly charging to 80% except before taking a long trip.

That said, with an L1 it will take a LONG time to get from 20 or 30% to 80%.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Level 2 chargers seem to be the better option as level one takes a long time to complete. Audi provided a charging brick that allows you to use either by swapping the plug end over to either. I got a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in the garage and use Level 2 for my charging needs. Keep it between 3-80%, if I go below that, there is a setting in the App that let's it charge to 25% for emergency use while leaving the normal charge process for the 11PM-5AM, Super Off Peak hours, in my area.

I think all manufacturers are saying up to 80% charge for daily use and higher if you need it. For most long distance trips, there will charging points along the way and they are setup that you are not draining to 10% to get to the next one. However, depending on the speed yo are driving, you could do that on your own. After my 1st time or almost running out of juice (had to pull over because the car would not go faster than 25mph on 70mph 2 lane road and get towed to a charging point), I no longer try to skip a charge point and make it on what I have as one can't always account for hills and how deeply it will drain your charge. Electrify America charge points are about 120-150 miles apart on highways, I would go up to 90 or 95% if there are hills involved because I'm not driving the posted 70mph but more like 80-90 in this area. As more charge points come online for long distance trips, that worry will be a thing of the past.

For daily commute under 35 miles, the EV6 will be fine for a few days before needing a charge. If your commute is on local roads, it could be even longer as your range will increase on lower speed drives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My at-home solution (currently) is a Level 1 charger. I burn about 10% of my battery on my R/T commute (40 miles). I have it programmed to only charge during off-peak hours (10pm-6am) and my rate of burn exceeds my nightly recharge. I have the car set to stop at 80%, typically I'll start my day between 75-78%. It's plugged in whenever it's in the garage, though.

Regarding time to charge, did a road trip over the weekend and was down to 18%. To get to 80% (from 18%) the car predicted about 55 hours with my current at-home setup. Thankfully weekends are off-peak power rates, so I had it plugged it in for almost 24 hours and it went from 18% - 45%.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My at-home solution (currently) is a Level 1 charger. I burn about 10% of my battery on my R/T commute (40 miles). I have it programmed to only charge during off-peak hours (10pm-6am) and my rate of burn exceeds my nightly recharge. I have the car set to stop at 80%, typically I'll start my day between 75-78%. It's plugged in whenever it's in the garage, though.

Regarding time to charge, did a road trip over the weekend and was down to 18%. To get to 80% (from 18%) the car predicted about 55 hours with my current at-home setup. Thankfully weekends are off-peak power rates, so I had it plugged it in for almost 24 hours and it went from 18% - 45%.
If it's your only vehicle, you should think about getting a level 2 home charger, unless you have a fast charger close by.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I charge at work, I don't have the facilities at home to install a Level 2 home charger at this time due to the nature of our detached garage.
You might contact your power company

I too have a detached garage. But the local utility is putting up another pole and my electrician is placing a second meter and breaker box on my garage just for EV charging

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would look into getting power run to it to allow you to do it at home. Once more people start getting EVs, that complimentary charging will go away. I assuming it’s complimentary, like at my old place of work. One of the issue we had was people not moving once their vehicle was charged. They would plug in and leave their car in that spot all day, preventing others from having access to the chargers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That’s going to be a charge you pay. Hopefully you are looking for all the incentives and discounts available to you for owning an EV. Some area have state and local municipalities incentives as well, look for everything you can get. Audi has a deal with Arcadia, where they pay a small portion of my bill for a couple of years, power company had EV specific charging rates, got that, they also have discounts on charging cables, didn’t do that since the car came with one. Oh, they also had a $1k rebate for purchasing an EV locally and not out of state, got that. Motor vehicle has plates to allow driving in HOV, got that.

Some of these may not last long, so it makes sense to see what’s available and take advantage of them before they are gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might contact your power company

I too have a detached garage. But the local utility is putting up another pole and my electrician is placing a second meter and breaker box on my garage just for EV charging
The logistics of our setup is different. We exhausted all the options (at least for right now), so we're satisfied with our Level 1 solution. Free charging at work went away about 3 years ago as apparently it's considered a taxable income as an employee benefit / fringe benefit. So to avoid that we just pay a flat $5/month for unlimited Level 2 charging.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The logistics of our setup is different. We exhausted all the options (at least for right now), so we're satisfied with our Level 1 solution. Free charging at work went away about 3 years ago as apparently it's considered a taxable income as an employee benefit / fringe benefit. So to avoid that we just pay a flat $5/month for unlimited Level 2 charging.
My company is just preparing to put chargers in! Wonder now about all those sodas I've been drinking . . .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts