Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,
I'm thinking of getting a dashcam, need front and rear + parking mode.

I'm considering the Nextbase 622GW and Thinkware U1000, but open to other ideas.
I'm especially interested in parking mode, but wonder how this will affect the v12 battery, plan to hardwire the camera to the fuse box. BTW which fuse should it connect to?

Will probably place the camera inside the rear window and will get it professionally installed.

Advice and experience are welcome, thank you!

· Registered
13 Posts
Hello people,
I'm thinking of getting a dashcam, need front and rear + parking mode.

I'm considering the Nextbase 622GW and Thinkware U1000, but open to other ideas.
I'm especially interested in parking mode, but wonder how this will affect the v12 battery, plan to hardwire the camera to the fuse box. BTW which fuse should it connect to?

Will probably place the camera inside the rear window and will get it professionally installed.

Advice and experience are welcome, thank you!
I really enjoy my blackvue 900 plus, although I only have the 1-ch version. I hardwired it myself.

· Registered
346 Posts
I have the 900 plus 2 channel and the 12V battery can only get about 30 min with the voltage cutoff. If you want a long-lasting parking mode, you may have to get the extra battery and that install is a bit more complicated and expensive.

· Registered
2023 EV6 Wind AWD w/ Tech
63 Posts
I like my Viofo 129 Pro. Got the battery pack to allow parking mode but not draw from the 12v battery when the car is off (originally for use with my Prius, not EV6 specific purchase)

· Administrator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
3,595 Posts
I also have the Blackvue cameras and think they are very good, easy to install and easy app access.

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
One vote more to blackvue series. Btw, I'm using 512G SD cards on 2CH camera. Works fine and have plenty of space.

· Registered
EV6 GT-line AWD 2022
48 Posts
I have cellink neo6 battery for parking mode. If you connect your camera straight to the fuse box to constant power, will most likely get 12V battery empty. That depends ofcourse how you use your car and camera. 12V battery is charged only during drive so it behaves as normal car battery.
Btw, where is that 30min coming from? In my car all power supplies goes off when car is switched off.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have cellink neo6 battery for parking mode. If you connect your camera straight to the fuse box to constant power, will most likely get 12V battery empty. That depends ofcourse how you use your car and camera. 12V battery is charged only during drive so it behaves as normal car battery.
Btw, where is that 30min coming from? In my car all power supplies goes off when car is switched off.
This guy mentioned this here:

I have the 900 plus 2 channel and the 12V battery can only get about 30 min with the voltage cutoff. If you want a long-lasting parking mode, you may have to get the extra battery and that install is a bit more complicated and expensive.

· Registered
346 Posts
This guy mentioned this here:
For context, the Blackvue has a voltage cut-off for the 12V battery so that your aren't dead when you get into your car. We set the voltage a little under 12V and it typically only records until the voltage reads lower than 11.9V. This takes about ~30 min. If you get the Blackvue battery, you can probably record for 4 hours with a full charge but it was pretty pricey and I typically garage park the car so parking mode wasn't really necessary for me.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For context, the Blackvue has a voltage cut-off for the 12V battery so that your aren't dead when you get into your car. We set the voltage a little under 12V and it typically only records until the voltage reads lower than 11.9V. This takes about ~30 min. If you get the Blackvue battery, you can probably record for 4 hours with a full charge but it was pretty pricey and I typically garage park the car so parking mode wasn't really necessary for me.
Interesting,
My understanding, which may be wrong is that in the EV6 the HV battery charges the v12 battery when it gets low, so in theory one could leave parking mode on for say 24 hours and the HV battery would top up the v12 battery (show that mysterious orange light bellow the windscreen) as long as it has enough SoC, but it is big… Have you tried disabling the cut-off in the camera? For Science... :)

· Registered
346 Posts
Interesting,
My understanding, which may be wrong is that in the EV6 the HV battery charges the v12 battery when it gets low, so in theory one could leave parking mode on for say 24 hours and the HV battery would top up the v12 battery (show that mysterious orange light bellow the windscreen) as long as it has enough SoC, but it is big… Have you tried disabling the cut-off in the camera? For Science... :)
I haven't...but that is interesting. I may try it one day when I'm not so busy 😁

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still interested in other people's experiences with dashcams on the ev6 - like where and how you mount the cameras? I understand that placing it on the passengers side of the windscreen (on that side of the mirror) can cause it to fly if the airbag deploys?

· Registered
371 Posts
There is already another Dashcam thread with a load of useful info in it.

I installed a Blackvue DR750X-2CH in my EV6, mainly as I wanted the remote access via SIM card.

The main issue I have is that the 12V battery keeps dropping below 12V and the dashcam hardwire kit will cut out and even when the 12V gets charged up at night the dascam doesn't wake up again.

Thinking about getting a battery pack for it, but the prices of them are outrageous, considering that they are basically a 12V UPS system.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder what's the minimum voltage to set the cut off of the dash cam, do we know at what level the car HV interferes and starts charging the v12? I heard people set that level at 11.9v which sounds a little too high...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts