Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my EV6 for 4 months and my Niro EV for 7 months. Both are normally charged at home up to 80%. 4-5 times a year I make a day trip that requires (so far) about 80% of the EV6 WIND capacity. (This may change in winter.) My question: Is it less stress on the battery to Level 2 charge to 100% and make the trip, returning to 80% charge after return, or to Level 2 charge to 80%, DCFC back to 80% at my destination, and then return to 80% Level 2 charge at home again? I welcome all ideas and reasoning. Thanks to all who reply.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had my EV6 for 4 months and my Niro EV for 7 months. Both are normally charged at home up to 80%. 4-5 times a year I make a day trip that requires (so far) about 80% of the EV6 WIND capacity. (This may change in winter.) My question: Is it less stress on the battery to Level 2 charge to 100% and make the trip, returning to 80% charge after return, or to Level 2 charge to 80%, DCFC back to 80% at my destination, and then return to 80% Level 2 charge at home again? I welcome all ideas and reasoning. Thanks to all who reply.
Couple of points, firstly the charge slows down on DC fast charge around 80% to protect the battery, so shouldn't cause any more stress, secondly, Kia advise to fully charge to 100% every 4 - 6 weeks so fast charging to 80% is not going to affect the long term condition of the battery, only if you are constantly fast charging and even this is not fully proven and hence the advice to not always fast charge as it MAY cause early deterioration of the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of points, firstly the charge slows down on DC fast charge around 80% to protect the battery, so shouldn't cause any more stress, secondly, Kia advise to fully charge to 100% every 4 - 6 weeks so fast charging to 80% is not going to affect the long term condition of the battery, only if you are constantly fast charging and even this is not fully proven and hence the advice to not always fast charge as it MAY cause early deterioration of the battery.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Good to know that either way would be OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To expound a bit, lithium ion batteries don't like to be kept at high states of charge of extended durations, so it's not just rapid charging to 100% that is bad for them. It's charging them to 100% and leaving them there. That is why manufacturers keep a buffer on the top end. Many manufacturers say it's ok to charge to 100% on occasion, so it's ok to go to 100% immediately before the road trip, since the battery won't stay there very long and 100% indicated is not a true 100% charge. The batteries like to stay in the middle of their energy capacity, so the closer you can keep it to 50%, the better. Having said that, under normal use with a 80% top off, there probably won't be sufficient degradation to impact the use of the vehicle even if you charge to 100% on occasion. Even the Ioniq Electric, which only had active air cooling, has demonstrated very low degradation.

For the cell balancing, Kia really should control that interval with software. No one using the vehicle as a daily driver wants to have to recall the last time they did a full charge to balance the pack.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For the cell balancing, Kia really should control that interval with software. No one using the vehicle as a daily driver wants to have to recall the last time they did a full charge to balance the pack.
I think there's a decent chance they are already addressing that issue. It's quite common for mine to sit for an hour or two after reaching the charge limit, still acting like it's charging, but not gaining any significant charge level. But it doesn't do that every time. The only logical thing I can think of is that it's performing some cell balancing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think there's a decent chance they are already addressing that issue. It's quite common for mine to sit for an hour or two after reaching the charge limit, still acting like it's charging, but not gaining any significant charge level. But it doesn't do that every time. The only logical thing I can think of is that it's performing some cell balancing.
Beat me to it my 100 %’s will differ and you have that lag as well.

Reminds me of that iPhone problem where coverage was low and so only showed 1 or 2 bars, Apple just updated the software to show 4 or 5 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts