Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to research what Level 2 charger to get. Seems like a 40amp is more standard. I would like some screen on it, but that is rare.
What level 2 charger did you get and why?
What is your review of it... "would you buy this product again?"
Where did you buy it from and how much do it cost?
Thanks

· Registered
52 Posts
I got a J+ Booster 2 from Amazon for $650. It's got adapters and can pull 6-40 amps on either 120 or 240 volts. I keep it in the frunk along with an extension cord. I've had the chance once to use the NEMA 14-50 on a 50 amp circuit and it tripped the breaker. I had to lock it down to 32 amps. I like having the versatility of a level 1 and 2 combo charger that is compact and well built. UL listed as well...

Liquid Light Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment

Amazon link - https://a.co/d/enfcyYe

· Registered
38 Posts
Grizzl-E Classic. I wanted a simple, rugged, reliable, 40 amp charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug. I think it was around $400 from Amazon. Yes, I would buy it again and, yes, I do recommend it, if someone wants a simple charger.

· Registered
9 Posts
Trying to research what Level 2 charger to get. Seems like a 40amp is more standard. I would like some screen on it, but that is rare.
Thanks
-Grizzle-E Classic. Bought it because it has an excellent reputation for reliability. Heavy-duty construction. It comes in a smart version but I opted for the Classic because I can control charging from the Kia app.
-Yes, I would buy it again. It has been bullet-proof and trouble free
-Got it from Amazon for $429

· Registered
23 Posts
I bought the Grizzl-E Duo for two reasons: I have 2 ev's to charge and the charger is mounted outside. Its not a smart charger in anyway (which I like), just a rugged set-up for outside installs. It has worked as advertised since July when I put it in. At 40amp, it charges one car at 9.6kw or 4.8kw if charging 2 cars at the same time. It was $900 for the unit.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've installed the Chargepoint homeflex 50 in my garage. My electricity provider has a program where I only pay $0.063/kWh when charging between midnight and 8am. I pay $7/month to be in this program. I'll still need to see if the savings justify that monthly charge.

I'm considering buying a Shell recharge 40amp portable EVSE to keep in the car. That'll give me the flexibility to plug in just about anywhere while on the go.

I expecting to take delivery of my new 2023 gt-line next week! :cool:

· Registered
2022 Steel Gray Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package
13 Posts
I have installed a ChargePoint Home Flex in my garage. I have it hardwired on a 30 amp circuit because that is the most I could do without having a higher amp circuit run to my garage. I will do that at some point, but good electricians around here are booked out 6-12 months. So I installed it myself on the highest amp circuit I could.

Honestly even on a 30 amp circuit (charges at 24 amps) it charges fast enough for me. Easily done overnight. I would like to bump up to 50 amps though at some point, but I am not in a rush.

I chose this charger because it got good reviews, it easily scales up to a full 50 amps of charging, and the app is good. I don't get any special discounts on my electricity and I didn't receive any incentives to buy it.

I have had it and my EV6 Wind AWD almost 4 weeks, and so far I am quite happy with the charger, and thrilled with the EV6.

· Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD w/Tech Gravity Blue
174 Posts
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired in my garage on a 60A circuit so that it can take full advantage of charging speed. I am not moving anytime soon so I don't need to unplug it and if I really do need to move, I'll just buy another one at my new place.

· Registered
93 Posts
Chargepoint homeflex because it was one of two options that could be rented from my utility company and hardwired to qualify for their off-peak rates. I also saw a review showing unlike other chargers, the Chargepoint Homeflex cord doesn't freeze solid in extreme cold, so it remains easy to maneuver.

· Registered
58 Posts
Avoid the cheaper stuff, folks have been reporting issues with Grizzl-e and stuff not being torqued right internally. There is in my opinion, one brand above them all, and that is ClipperCreek. You cant go wrong, they supply OEM chargers for multiple vehicles manufactures and make some of the best commercial units money can buy.
I bought an HCS-60 and enjoy charging at 11.5 kW, it fills up my 58 kW battery damn quick.
I also have a 7.7 kW ClipperCreek from 2015 and its still going strong, so that is the quality you get with ClipperCreek, just easy plug n play. Thats all there is to it.
Id rather spend $1000 and have it last forever vs spend $500 on something that might have its smart features depreciated (or removed all together) and has not stood the test of time.
Above all else, the single most important thing is that the charger is UL listed. Do not buy anything not UL listed.

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks
Since nothing at all came with the car and we live in the mountains 40 miles from the nearest charging station, I opted to buy a relatively cheap one to get me by. When we bought the car about a month ago, no one at the dealership knew hardly anything about them. Upon closing the deal the salesman told me they had to order a "cord" for charging at home. I understood a little about L1 & L2 charging. Anyway, turned out they ordered a CP50 Flex charger for us and put it into the loan. It added about $700 to our loan. We still haven't gotten it yet. They told us Charge Point is running about 2 months behind. So I looked on Amazon and looked for a level 2 under $200. The one I found (brand name Duosida) has been working fine. I thought I'd use it for a portable. It has a 6-20 plug which I kind of doubt that I'm gonna find too many 6-20 plugs anywhere I go - motels, families house, etc. At 20 amps on level 2 it only charges at about 3.6 kW with the car on maximum. I think if I should have gone with one that has a 14-50 plug as they seem to be much more common. I had a 6-50 plug already in my garage and I switched that over to a 6-20 and replaced the 60 amp dual pole breaker with a 20 amp one. Still awfully slow to charge but we typically leave it parked for long periods anyhow so it's not been a problem so far.

· Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD
1 Posts
Grizzl-E classic, ordered from Amazon and installed a month ago with a 14-50 plug on a 50-amp line. Up and running within a couple of hours of delivery, no problems since. Only complaint is that the plug-storage unit isn't as robust as the rest of the unit -- some users recommend substituting a garden-hose coil.

· Registered
2022 EV6 Wind AWD w/Tech Gravity Blue
174 Posts
Check ur local electricity provider. They gave me $1,000 toward installation of a charge point
Good idea. My electric provider will offer $500 towards the install and equipment for an EVSE; however, I have to change to their Time of Use plan. Since I work from home my monthly cost for electricity would go up approximately 20%. In my case, I won't be applying for that rebate as it will just cost more in a few months after we get that money back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts