Kia EV6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Shell recharge 40A, versatility as it's alevel1/2, comes with the adapter, Comes with a case and is portable so I can take it with me on the road.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
535 Posts
Emporia 50 EVSE UL listed, hardwired on a 60 amp circuit. It is flawless since I installed it 6 months ago. I think the unit is made in India and sales and support are based in Colorado. They were very helpful every time I had questions. The unit can be adjusted to only charge during off peak hours. It can be paired with their VUE energy monitor to control charging only when the solar array generates power. The price is also very competitive for a UL listed 50 Amps unit. The mobile app is also pretty good.

·
Registered
2022 Runway Red EV6 Wind AWD
39 Posts
I also have the Emporia EV Charging Station. Plugged into 14-50 outlet. Works great and the app is useful. I like that I can plug it in, and it will start when off-peak hours start automatically. UL listed can't be overlooked. Price is great too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trying to research what Level 2 charger to get. Seems like a 40amp is more standard. I would like some screen on it, but that is rare.
What level 2 charger did you get and why?
What is your review of it... "would you buy this product again?"
Where did you buy it from and how much do it cost?
Thanks
I got the Autel Maxicharger from Amazon for $450. I did my own research and for the price it does everything I want. It connects to my cellphone by Bluetooth. In my 2 weeks of use, I have been very satisfied.

However, there are so many options it is hard to choose wrong. Choose your price range and what functions/properties you need and you will be happy with it.

Charge!!!!!! :giggle:

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech, Yacht Blue
72 Posts
ChargePoint CPH50, hardwired on 70A breaker. I posted some notes on my install here: Chargepoint home flex install

It had a $500 utility rebate, plus an extra $50 per year for participating in their demand-response program.

If I didn't have the rebate available, I probably would not choose a "smart" charger, not really worth the added cost IMO.

I agree with the comment about UL listed products, this isn't a place to cheap out. Also I would recommend getting a charger that's Energy Star certified - Product Finder — ENERGY STAR Certified Electric Vehicle Chargers
It was a surprise to me that there are some non-trivial differences in the standby power consumption on these.

·
Registered
25 Posts
JuiceBox 40amp. 14-50 Plug. It was the highest rated unit on several EV sites so I went with it...
Yes, I don't really know why my dealer just automatically ordered me the CP50. All he asked me was if I had a place to plug it in, which I thought I did. Salesman acted as if this was the one that goes with the 2022 EV6

·
Registered
120 Posts
Installed the ChargePoint CPH50 in my garage since it came with my EV6. Had an electrician put in a 50A circuit for it. My utility has no incentive program for any EV charging stations nor any special rate for charging at night. I don't care at all since I am on a Solar Net-Metering contract and I can charge for free day or night whenever I want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed the ChargePoint CPH50 in my garage since it came with my EV6. Had an electrician put in a 50A circuit for it. My utility has no incentive program for any EV charging stations nor any special rate for charging at night. I don't care at all since I am on a Solar Net-Metering contract and I can charge for free day or night whenever I want.
You must have gotten a special deal if the CPH50 came with the EV6. I sort of feel mine came with it by the way the salesman presented the deal. I had to pay for it, but they included it in my car loan saying the car warranty would then cover it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grizzl-E Classic. I wanted a simple, rugged, reliable, 40 amp charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug. I think it was around $400 from Amazon. Yes, I would buy it again and, yes, I do recommend it, if someone wants a simple charger.
Agreed

·
Registered
2022 EV6 Matte Gray FE AWD - PPF wrapped
9 Posts
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired in my garage on a 60A circuit. I went with the CP because we have harsh winters and this unit had the most flexible cord in cold weather. I also liked that it has smart functionality.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
I just purchased an OpenEVSE 48 amp unit earlier this week for my home fixed charger. Unfortunately, there was no sale on the 48 A version and there's a 4 week backorder for all units. So hopefully I'll get mine a week before Christmas (I still don't have my EV6 yet so it's no big deal). I chose OpenEVSE because it's fully user-repairable and the software it runs is open source. It has a high degree of customizability. I really like that the unit doesn't rely on an app or web service, everything is local. It's also one of the only charging stations with a built-in screen.

After I get my EV6, I'll probably also get a portable 40 A charger for travel use. I'm leaning towards the Keruida unit (made by ZenCar) since it has many adjustment (amp) settings. Most portable units cheap out and only output a max of 32 amps. It's pretty difficult to find a portable 40 A charger with key adjustable settings of 24 and 16 A. This unit has setpoints of 40, 32, 24, 20, and 16 A. I wish it had a 12 A setting but I can just use the EV6's charge settings to adjust for that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
OpenEVSE 50A units, though you could upgrade the relay to an 80A one and charge handle for higher if you wanted. These also have wifi and if you pair it with EmonCMS you can have them follow your solar excess. These are for people who like to tinker, but they work well if you don't want to.

·
Registered
2022 Steel Gray Kia EV6 Wind AWD with Tech Package
12 Posts
I have a ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired in my garage on a 60A circuit. I went with the CP because we have harsh winters and this unit had the most flexible cord in cold weather. I also liked that it has smart functionality.
That is a reason I forgot to mention. Already with temps regularly below freezing the cord has stayed extremely flexible. No complaints.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You must have gotten a special deal if the CPH50 came with the EV6. I sort of feel mine came with it by the way the salesman presented the deal. I had to pay for it, but they included it in my car loan saying the car warranty would then cover it.
The other poster either got theirs included for free as a dealer throw-in (or, perhaps negotiated with the dealer to include it at no additional cost) or chose it as their "free" gift for having purchased a First Edition trim; FWIW I got my CPH50 for free for being an FE buyer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just purchased an OpenEVSE 48 amp unit earlier this week for my home fixed charger. Unfortunately, there was no sale on the 48 A version and there's a 4 week backorder for all units. So hopefully I'll get mine a week before Christmas (I still don't have my EV6 yet so it's no big deal). I chose OpenEVSE because it's fully user-repairable and the software it runs is open source. It has a high degree of customizability. I really like that the unit doesn't rely on an app or web service, everything is local. It's also one of the only charging stations with a built-in screen.

After I get my EV6, I'll probably also get a portable 40 A charger for travel use. I'm leaning towards the Keruida unit (made by ZenCar) since it has many adjustment (amp) settings. Most portable units cheap out and only output a max of 32 amps. It's pretty difficult to find a portable 40 A charger with key adjustable settings of 24 and 16 A. This unit has setpoints of 40, 32, 24, 20, and 16 A. I wish it had a 12 A setting but I can just use the EV6's charge settings to adjust for that.
Thanks for the tip. I am concerned that the one I have is so specialized, I would be unlikely to find a 6-20 outlet. It looks like this one only uses a 14-50 plug. The one I have now has a 120 volt adapter cord. Does ZenCar have decent customer service? The one I have now (Duosida) have a number that Amazon gave me, but they don't answer. Not sure about the safety credentials also on my current one. I have a CP50 on order but wanted a travel charger. This one sounds pretty flexable so may be more likely to use it if necessary.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind RWD on order
358 Posts
Does ZenCar have decent customer service?
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that since I haven't needed to contact them. I still haven't purchased the charger yet.

But regarding adapters, this portable charger should work with them as long as they have a ground. You'll probably need to get a special EV-only NEMA 5-15P (plug) to NEMA 14-50R (receptacle) adapter if you need to charge on 120 V. The neutral has to be wired to one of the hots to get 120 V across the hots (the 2 middle pins) in the NEMA 14-50. Adapters meant for RV use wire the 5-15's neutral to the 14-50's neutral (the bottom slotted pin) which most EVSEs don't use.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts