Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because test-driving vehicles is maddeningly difficult right now, I am going to have to live vicariously through others -- thank you in advance! I realize these are total softball question to a biased audience, and I'm fine with that:

• If you were considering the Hyundai IONIQ5, why did you choose the EV6 instead?

• If you were considering the Ford Mach-E, why did you choose the EV6 instead?

• What other EVs lost out to the EV6?

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) exterior looks, rear window gets less dirty in ev6, prefer kia interior
2) ford's battery technology reminds me of 2013 tesla. 800v system on ev6. If Ford had 800v or their DC charging rates weren't terrible I'd get the ford
3) tesla but I have one now and absolutely hate the company. Concidering the gv60, depending on what the price will be.

My ideal vehicle would be the Mach E with kia battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had a Tesla Model 3 LR for 4 years and bought our second EV, EV6 GT Line RWD two weeks ago after test driving it. I like the Tesla acceleration and handling but the EV6 is far superior inside: much quieter than the Tesla; I prefer the EV6 display layout vs Tesla’s; blind spot warnings, surround view and rear cross traffic alert are amazing. I actually much prefer driving the EV6 for my commute than the Model 3. To me the EV6 audio is on par with the Tesla once you set the Meridian setting to Surround and bump the bass level to 6. I also love that the EV6 door handles pop out when approaching the car. And the EV6 looks super sharp and sporty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
(1) The IONIQ 5 looks and drives great, but I felt the EV6 is better again. Also, based on the model specifications available here in Ireland, the EV6 is both cheaper and longer range than the IONIQ 5. Another key reason is the 7 year warranty on the EV6.
(2) Haven't bothered looking at the Ford.
(3) I considered the Skoda Enyaq and the VW ID.4. The Enyaq looks awful and the ID.4 just bland.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Because test-driving vehicles is maddeningly difficult right now, I am going to have to live vicariously through others -- thank you in advance! I realize these are total softball question to a biased audience, and I'm fine with that:

• If you were considering the Hyundai IONIQ5, why did you choose the EV6 instead?

• What other EVs lost out to the EV6
  • When I saw it I loved the exterior of the Ioniq5. I have the previous Ioniq and it was my initial choice. However I was disappointed with the interior. It may be nice for some but it was not something my wife and I liked at all. The EV6 immediately attracted our attention, in and out.
  • In Spain, price. I tried it and I loved the AWD version, but to get the goverment deductions, we could only go for the small battery and RWD. I wanted an AWD. However I really did like the driving experience, the exterior, and also the interior although I like the EV6 more on the inside.
  • The model 3 was also one of our initial choices but several issues including the lack of service centres close to our city (the closest is 5 hours away) and a couple of other matters including the lower price they would pay for my Ioniq made me go for the Kia. We also went to see the ID4 (test drived it) and the Skoda Enyaq, but we did not like either. At the end it is a decision between head and heart...

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD Aurora Black Pearl
249 Posts

I intended to buy the Ioniq 5. Went to test drive it, and thought it looked "meh". Test drove it and had trouble getting it out of the tight dealer parking lot because of the long wheel base and large turning circle. The car felt and drove like a station wagon. That's great if you want a station wagon. I wanted something electrifying. (pun intended)

I went home very discouraged. Eventually, I found a place where I could test drive an EV6. I test drove it in a congested part of the Bronx, of all places. Wow, has traffic gotten worse since I lived there! Anyway, despite the congestion, the car looked and drove like a rocket ship. The heads up display and all the safety features really created fantastic situational awareness. The Ioniq I drove didn't have the HUD. It makes a difference. For both cars, I recommend the HUD (and thus the top "GT-Line" or "Limited" trims).

Bottom line for Ioniq 5 vs. EV6 is the EV6 is sportier inside and out, and is a sportier drive. Get into the Ioniq5 and you're getting into a big, roomy car. Get into the EV6 and you're wearing the EV6. Very different experience.

We went to test drive a Tesla Model 3. Neither of us liked that we had to climb down to get into the car. It felt like my Subaru XT6 from 30 years ago. That was great when I was half as old. This side of 60, however, it was unpleasant. We then test drove the Model Y. We liked that a lot better than the 3. It's a LOT faster than the EV6. However, you really, really need to buy into the "everything is on the center touch screen" design ethos. Neither of us thought it's a good idea. My wife described the interior as "cheap". For about the same money, we think the EV6 is a much better car. I know, that's heresy in the cult of Elon (and I'm a card carrying Tesla fanboi.)

I was considering the Mach-E, but by then I had fallen in love with the EV6. Currently, the Mach-E is only available in the base trim (small battery and short range) or the GT trim ($$$$).

The ID.4 was also considered, but I couldn't find one to test drive.

One advantage of the EV6 or Ioniq 5 is the 800V fast charging. None of the other cars can match that, unless you're considering a Taycan. While the EV6 needs perfect conditions to get it's maximum charging speed, it still blows everything else away when you connect it to a 350KW 800V charger,

·
Registered
23 Posts

1. Prefer the looks (interior & exterior) over the ioniq5 and a little longer range. Plus already own 2 other Kia’s….non ev.
2. Loved the Mach E but comparing apples to apples, was well over $10000cdn more.
3. Looked at VW ID4 but could not even get an availability from multiple dealers here in Canada.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm between the EV6 Wind AWD and the Genesis GV60 when that finally comes out with pricing for the US. I certainly like the fit and finish for what the Genesis will offer, but wouldn't be upset with the EV6.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Originally preferred the loniq 5 due to space and style, but the EV6 won me over when it was unveiled 2 months later. The reviews on the suspension tuning further cemented my choice.

It's too expensive in Canada. The equivalent version (Premium ER AWD) is $10,000 more (now $11,500) solely based on MSRP. Or other way is for almost the same price (the Mach-e Premium is a few hundred dollars more), I get the standard range RWD Premium model. In addition, it doesn't qualify for gov't rebates while the EV6 does, further increasing the OTD price differential.

The ID.4 was on my list (as is a yet-to-be-announced VW Space Vizzion wagon concept) as it was reasonably equipped and priced and good range. However, I'm not a fan of the corners cut such as removing two window switches on the driver's side door, the touch slider temperature control without backlit illumination and the laggy infotainment system. Also, the ID.4 has been decontented compared to the European version (no matrix LED headlights, which are legal in Canada and soon to be legal in the US, no AR HUD, no suede/leather seat combo and the inability to stick with 19" rims with the Statement Package like you can in the US. Our Statement package rolls in the Gradient package as well).

Honestly, any EV out there on a 400V system lost out on the EV 6 haha. I figured even if we can't get max speed, we'd still be faster than the equivalent 400V car charging at the same charger in the same atmospheric conditions. (and now that I'm learning more about the different types of 350kW charger that could affect 400V systems like the i4/iX and EQS that wouldn't bother the E-GMP cars, makes me more certain about my choice. Basically, you're limited by the amperage output of the 350kW EVSE)

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
Looks, Drive, price and charge rate were the main factors for me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Personally I didn't care for the boxy-like look of the Ioniq 5--not that I'd totally eliminate it from consideration even if there was no EV6 offered, BTW; didn't care for the look of the Mach-E either; ID.4 offers less range; Tesla no $7500 federal tax credit. TBH I'm not entirely quite sure why I locked in on the EV6 but in the end if I had to do it all over again I'd still pick the EV6. No doubt the GV60 will offer a better fit and finish compared to the Ioniq 5 and EV6 but hey, I don't have no money tree growing in my home--LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had originally been looking at the IONIQ 5. To be fair, I never got to test drive the IONIQ 5, but after I test drove the EV6, my suspicions were confirmed:
  • EV6 seems to have a sportier feel/ride
  • EV6 interior build quality looked slightly better to me
  • EV6 has an ever so slightly better range (?)
  • Easier to find an AWD EV6 (so far)
  • I personally like the look of the EV6 vs the IONIQ 5
But from everything I've seen/read/heard, I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two.

I had eliminated the other vehicles because of either 1) charging rate, or 2) ... I don't want to get into a Tesla/non-Tesla argument here. Let's just say it's a difference of philosophy and leave it at that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you were considering the Hyundai IONIQ5, why did you choose the EV6 instead?

I was in awe when the Ioniq 5 came out, but the styling inside and out isn't me and it definitely didn't get approval by she-who-must-be-obeyed.
The EV6 is also a stunning car and we much prefer the curves and sporty look. Have driven one twice now and didn't find anything that turned me off buying one. Very quiet, comfortable and just a joy to drive.

If you were considering the Ford Mach-E, why did you choose the EV6 instead?

Nope, not at all interested in the Mach-E, sorry but haven't got a lot of confidence in Ford. They have been so slow getting into EV's and have now given up and are starting to use the VW MEB platform.

What other EVs lost out to the EV6?

Well was initially thinking of getting a Kia Niro, but thought that having a purpose built EV instead of an ICE conversion would be better and I think that Hyundai/Kia have done an excellent job with the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

Reactions: 4MotionEV6

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quite simply for me, Availability!

The EV6 was available the day I went to take a close look at them both, and the dealership, "Kia" of GG, really wanted to sell the vehicle.

I did initially want a Ionic 5, but the limited were a day short.

Although I did have a dealer that was willing to sell the 5 at MSRP,,,
In the end, I went with the 6.

After driving them both, The ev6 is more in line with my driving characteristics and style.

The tech and interior layout that comes with the 6 is what sold me versus what you get in the 5.

I like the handling better and the power delivery seems to be different, with the 6.

But I would say Availability, Tech/layout and Driving Dynamics, were my main reasons for going with EV6.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a Mach e GTPE on order since September. It may never get built. I've owned six BMW's and when I test drove the FE EV6 GT-Line I said, "This is a BMW". I bought it.

The vehicle was designed by Albert Biermann who was the lead engineer for the BMW "M" Group. Think bobsled on magnetic rails. Disneyland "E" ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally I wasn’t in the market. I currently drive a Genesis G70 and thought we would look at a GV60 next year for my wife.
A couple of weeks ago, our daughter totaled her Elantra and moved up our timeframe.
Ioniq 5’s aren’t sold in our state so I didn’t consider it.
I contacted our local Kia dealer the day after the accident and secured an inbound EV6. Picked it up a week later (last week) paid MSRP. GT line AWD.
So far, the wife loves it.

·
Registered
EV6 Wind AWD + Tech Package
58 Posts
I'm out road tripping with the EV6 right now. Aside from one charging desert that demanded a charge to 100%, the DC chargers have all brought me up to 80% in < 20 minutes. It gets done before the passengers get back from their potty stops.

Top owner complaints:
  • Headroom is low. Agree. We got the Wind trim to compensate, since the sunroof eats into the head room a fair bit, I drive with the seat in nearly its lowest position, and I'm a little shorter than average. The ride posture is only slightly higher than an ICE sedan.
  • Its a station-wagon, eew. Disagree. Its a crossover that's been crossed with a sport sedan one more time. IMO, she's the sexiest car in its class. Station wagons have backward-facing third-row seats and anyone who disagrees can (censored).
  • Real-world range is too short. Agree. Real-world highway mileage at full interstate speed is poor. I'm getting an interstate-speed range of 230 miles (3.0 mi/kW-hr), but since real-world travel legs are from 80%-20% charge, that's only about 140 miles between stops. Compensating somewhat, real-world charging at the 350 kW stations really does peak at 240 kW and it really does reliably get you to 80% in < 20 minutes. So, this is the most responsibly well-rested road trip I've ever done :) That said, this road trip has been the only time that I've ever been bothered by the range.
  • The dual-use climate/media buttons are confusing. Disagree. I got used to it in just a few commutes of ownership. Reviewers just don't get that long to drive with the car.
Why I picked it in the first place:
  • Better looks and handling compared to Ioniq-5 (based solely on reviews and pictures).
  • I don't like the single-panel UI in the Mach-e
  • Better styling and charging compared to anything else. This car makes road trips possible. ~1 hour charging sessions would have driven us to rent an ICE.
Unexpected joys:
  • Seat cooling.
  • Back seats recline. Its a little bit more than an airplane seat does, and enough for the kids to comfortably sleep.
  • Seat cooling.
  • The open storage under the center console is perfect for small bags (purse, sack lunch, etc).
  • The glove box is large enough to stash an emergency kit in there.
  • Seat cooling!!

·
Super Moderator
Ordered July 21 Yacht Blue GT Line S AWD with Heat Pump Arrived 14 May 2022
1,766 Posts
  • Seat cooling.
  • Back seats recline. Its a little bit more than an airplane seat does, and enough for the kids to comfortably sleep.
  • Seat cooling.
  • The open storage under the center console is perfect for small bags (purse, sack lunch, etc).
  • The glove box is large enough to stash an emergency kit in there.
  • Seat cooling!!
Let me Guess, you like the seat cooling. 🤣

1 - 20 of 26 Posts