Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our SWP GT-Line AWD a couple days ago and took it in to have window tint installed yesterday. The installer had no issues with the 4 side windows, small rear triangles, and hatch since there were factory patterns in the computer for those areas. (XPEL Prime XR Plus. 35% on the front sides and 70% everywhere else. Nothing on the windshield). However there wasn't a pattern for the sunroof and after 4 attempts at getting completely full coverage using a custom cut he was still getting fingers on the front edge. Our "solution" was to very slightly undersize the coverage on the sunroof piece which he is trying this morning. As the installer was explaining the situation to me, he pointed out how far back the glass extended behind the headliner and neither of us could figure out why Kia did this. I'll get some pictures later today after we get the car back, but in the meantime does anyone know why they utilize a quite large glass sunroof but then cover a substantial portion of the back end of it with headliner? I would have preferred a much larger headliner hole that would more closely match the size of the glass above it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think it is simply for aesthetics. The larger glass up top fills the whole roof space, making it appear uniformly black no matter what colour your car is. The actual aperture below is quite normal (slightly larger than normal?) for a sunroof of this type.

A lot of lesser cars have a rectangle of glass dropped into the roof, giving a much less appealing look. (IMHO).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it is simply for aesthetics. The larger glass up top fills the whole roof space, making it appear uniformly black no matter what colour your car is. The actual aperture below is quite normal (slightly larger than normal?) for a sunroof of this type.

A lot of lesser cars have a rectangle of glass dropped into the roof, giving a much less appealing look. (IMHO).
Looks kool but deceptive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was gonna say, this aperture is larger than any other glass moonroof I’ve had (both slide over and slide into the roof types).

I’m not sure why the glass itself is significantly larger than the aperture (especially since Kia themselves said more glass = more weight = less range when asked why they went with moonroof over pano roof). Perhaps it is a bit of style when seen from the exterior (to give it as close to a pano roof look without actually having one).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts