Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,431 Posts
As Tesla starts opening up their chargers for other EV’s I would think that an adapter should be available that would allow you to use your Tesla charger on the EV6 without having to replace the charger.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If your handy and have the skills, you could get a J1772 handle + cable and swap out the Tesla handle and cable. But only consider this if you are comfortable with that kind of work.

·
Registered
453 Posts
or will the Tesla charging plug fit the Kia EV6?

If I have to swap out the chargers, what might that cost?
Bit out of date, but so the thread has the right info: I actually bought a Tesla UMC to charge my EV6, since it's basically the best/most versatile mobile EVSE on the market from anyone, with all the plug adapters available.

I also bought a name-brand TeslaTap Mini 40A: TeslaTap MINI 40 AMP (also comes in 60a and 80A, but you basically only need 80A if you drive a Taycan and frequent HPWC destination chargers). The name-brand version has a circuit that puts the Tesla EVSE (destination charger or universal mobile connector) into compatibility mode quickly when you plug the Tesla handle into it (they say wait 30s before then plugging into the car, I find 8 or so is fine).

You can also buy a third party Tesla to J1772 plug adapter i.e. Lectron on Amazon, for about $50 cheaper and $20 less shipping cost. But they're not TOTALLY compatible with the I5 and EV6 - you have to turn the car off, plug in, wait for the car to complain "charging unsuccessful," then go turn the car back on, THEN you can turn it off, lock it, whatever and it'll charge properly.

I decided to spend the extra $70 to avoid that hassle.

EDIT: Also: if you're talking about a UMC Gen2, just get a 40A TeslaTap. If you have Tesla wall connector wired to a circuit at the full 48A, I'd get the 60A adapter. The EV6 can't charge faster than that even with a more powerful EVSE, so pass on the 80A version.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-L RWD, 1973 Triumph TR6
267 Posts
Since some of us came late to the game or otherwise missed the “Ionic5” 15% discount that ended on 4/27/22, maybe someone in the know could get another group deal for the EV6 owners. I’d certainly avail myself of it and not on the Amazon clones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get a tesla tap mini…. Super tiny. Excellent build quality. And unlike the clones on Amazon it works.
Yesterday, I used a Lectron 48a Tesla to J1772 adapter at a Tesla destination station and it worked perfectly fine as long as you are good with the instructions alexw noted in his post.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yesterday, I used a Lectron 48a Tesla to J1772 adapter at a Tesla destination station and it worked perfectly fine as long as you are good with the instructions alexw noted in his post.
Am pretty sure the problem is that Tesla destination chargers have two modes they can be placed in. The first is to allow anyone to charge and the second is to only allow Tesla's to charge. I am pretty sure any adapter will work if the charger is in the first mode, but only the TeslaTap will work if it is in the second. I think the owner of the charger picks what setting to use, but could be Tesla.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Am pretty sure the problem is that Tesla destination chargers have two modes they can be placed in. The first is to allow anyone to charge and the second is to only allow Tesla's to charge. I am pretty sure any adapter will work if the charger is in the first mode, but only the TeslaTap will work if it is in the second. I think the owner of the charger picks what setting to use, but could be Tesla.
Gen3 HPWCs can be configured to never fall-back to J1772 compatibility mode. If you find one, and if it's thusly configured, a TeslaTap won't fix it. The only difference between the two is that the TeslaTap triggers fallback before you plug into the vehicle, where the other brands don't, and run afoul of the E-GMP cars' "charging unsuccessful" timeout.

·
Registered
'22 EV5 GT-Line AWD
18 Posts
If you have a Tesla HPWC, you need to open up the front cover (turn breaker off first, of course) and change dip switch #2 to the down position to allow it to speak to non-Tesla vehicles, while still working on Tesla's too. Then most all adapters to J1772 will work with our cars w/o any hoops to jump through. I tried a Gen 1 and Gen 3 (neighbor) and neither would charge initially until this change was made and it was smooth sailing after that on my Gen 1 charger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts