Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope Kia dealers don't markup the EV6...I would really like an EX+ EV6, rather than a Tesla Model Y, but at about $50K for the EV6 and $61K for the Model Y, if dealers mark up the EV6 by $5K, I think the Model Y is a better option. Others may disagree of course! The Model Y has the edge, in my opinion, on cargo volume, safety, efficiency, charging network, software updates, user interface, performance, towing, resale value etc. Kia has the edge on several things too, especially V2L for me, but likely also fit and finish and some others. It is having some early issues now, but likely will emerge as a winner.

But, if Kia can get a bunch of EV6 out to dealers in April-May after a February order, then I think Kia has a big edge there, since the waiting time for a model Y is 8+ months. And, if the dealers don't mark up the EV6 over MSRP, I think some will go for the EV6 over the Model Y, but with big markups, maybe not so much...however, there seems to be a lot of pent up demand for electric cars, so maybe all this won't matter, and the EV6 will go quickly no matter what.

Kia corporation likely thought all this out in determining their MSRP...It is a lively time for electric cars!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ioniq 5s are arriving in Florida and I spoke to a few dealers already and they are marking up $3K to $4.5K on all trims. I expect the same with Kia/EV6.

While I’ve owned a Model Y, your figures are incorrect because of the $7500 tax credit. Non Teslas have that pricing advantage. How I see it - if there is $5K in markup and some dealer fee or doc fee or forced dealer add-ons that’s about the same as the $7500 tax credit. A fully loaded Mach-E AWD Premium that is equivalent to a Model Y is $57K(maybe $59K now)…with the tax credit it’s about a $12K diff. With markup… picking the MME or Y is a toss up. Both are great EVs. I’ve owned both and highly recommend either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ioniq 5s are arriving in Florida and I spoke to a few dealers already and they are marking up $3K to $4.5K on all trims. I expect the same with Kia/EV6.

While I’ve owned a Model Y, your figures are incorrect because of the $7500 tax credit. Non Teslas have that pricing advantage. How I see it - if there is $5K in markup and some dealer fee or doc fee or forced dealer add-ons that’s about the same as the $7500 tax credit. A fully loaded Mach-E AWD Premium that is equivalent to a Model Y is $57K(maybe $59K now)…with the tax credit it’s about a $12K diff. With markup… picking the MME or Y is a toss up. Both are great EVs. I’ve owned both and highly recommend either.
Yes, good point about the tax credit, as it is right now. We still hope there will be a renewed credit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
EV virgin here. I did own a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid which was a very nice car, just sort of... boring. What piqued my interest in EVs was the EV6 GT. I think I've watched 90% of all YouTube videos on the vehicle at this point in time.

Without solid pricing information, I'm hoping the EV6 GT competes with the Model Y performance at about $60k. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), a good deal of my income is tax-free and I always get a federal refund. This makes the federal tax incentive a mute point. I'm hoping the new infrastructure bill passes and changes this to a refundable credit so I can factor this into the overall price.

Regardless, I'm not playing games with a dealership. I've purchased over a dozen vehicles in my life and sold vehicles briefly. I hold all the power when I purchase a car, not the dealership. I'm willing to wait for a fair deal regardless of the timeframe involved. I wish more people stood up for themselves and we wouldn't have to deal with the current market situation.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE - Glacier White
121 Posts
Regardless, I'm not playing games with a dealership. I've purchased over a dozen vehicles in my life and sold vehicles briefly. I hold all the power when I purchase a car, not the dealership. I'm willing to wait for a fair deal regardless of the timeframe involved. I wish more people stood up for themselves and we wouldn't have to deal with the current market situation.
1000% agree. So willing to walk away and let them find someone willing to play their games. I am close to torn between EV6 and Polestar anyhow. Can get a Polestar within a week or two if have to walk from Kia dealer.

Any other time a car is a depreciating asset. Paying an additional $10k on top of MSRP is lunacy IMO and throwing money down a well. They used car market will eventually settle back to normal and then you will be massively upside down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am close to torn between EV6 and Polestar anyhow. Can get a Polestar within a week or two if have to walk from Kia dealer.
Same. I just started my 2 week countdown to ordering a Polestar. As Kia has not provided delivery dates, I've got to make arrangements so I have a car when my lease expires toward end of February.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm using the Ioniq 5 as a litmus test. I've spoken to 6-7 Florida dealers and have found two that don't charge markup but one of them does force a $2K dealer add-on if you are not in their service area. No agreements have been signed so who knows when I end up with finance... what the final price will be.

Five other dealers are piling on markups ($3K to $5K) or refusing to pre-sell (not taking deposits) so they are trying to gauge first day interest when the cars arrive and how much markup to add. If Ioniq 5 sells out with these markups and add-ons... expect Kia dealerships to do the same with the EV6. If demand is less than expected... there might be hope. My personal guess is all Ioniq 5s will be sold the day of arrival and every future sale will include a $5K markup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using the Ioniq 5 as a litmus test. I've spoken to 6-7 Florida dealers and have found two that don't charge markup but one of them does force a $2K dealer add-on if you are not in their service area. No agreements have been signed so who knows when I end up with finance... what the final price will be.

Five other dealers are piling on markups ($3K to $5K) or refusing to pre-sell (not taking deposits) so they are trying to gauge first day interest when the cars arrive and how much markup to add. If Ioniq 5 sells out with these markups and add-ons... expect Kia dealerships to do the same with the EV6. If demand is less than expected... there might be hope. My personal guess is all Ioniq 5s will be sold the day of arrival and every future sale will include a $5K markup.
Interesting approach to figure out what is coming!

Electric Viking has an interesting video, which starts out about Ford trying to stop their dealer markups, possibly heading for a no-dealer sales approach, and gets into the longer-term question of whether dealers are going to just disappear...

·
Registered
Kia EV6 FE - Silver & Charger
29 Posts
I want to love the Polestar so, so badly, but after sitting in one (not moving) it's just too small and cramped on the inside for me. Plus that cupholder situation is a bizarre near-dealbreaker for me, as I can't be in a car without an iced coffee.

Agree with a growing sentiment throughout the forum that excitement is waning severely due to lack of information and the imminent dealership nonsense. I'm even looking at more expensive cars (2022 Volvo V60 Polestar Recharge, my goodness), which is completely illogical, but we aren't rational beings.

My plan is to request/demand their offer on paper before even going to the dealership, then taking all 10 days to strategize with all of you kind folk here.

Repeat from another thread - message from the GM at my dealer: " We will be pricing our vehicles at market price as we do with the rest of our inventory. We will not be discounting any vehicles until Kia gets us to a surplus of vehicles in inventory." So get ready.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE - Glacier White
121 Posts

Electric Viking has an interesting video, which starts out about Ford trying to stop their dealer markups, possibly heading for a no-dealer sales approach, and gets into the longer-term question of whether dealers are going to just disappear...
The letter from Ford says nothing about markups. It is about dealers requiring reservation holders to increase their deposits or other demands. Ford can do little to nothing to dealers with regards to markups.

·
Registered
255 Posts

The comment at around 6:30 about not changing the price after the order is just pure gold.

Personal story: I had this happen to me at a gas station(!) I was keeping track of pump prices, so I took a photo of the pump, then went through the fill process. As I was putting the nozzle back its holder, I noticed the price I was charged was higher - they literally changed the pump price while I was preparing payment. The difference in fill price was only about $3, but wtf? And I had photo proof. It took several phone calls and in the end they offered a free auto carwash which I accepted, but still...

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf, Volvo V60
40 Posts
I want to love the Polestar so, so badly, but after sitting in one (not moving) it's just too small and cramped on the inside for me. Plus that cupholder situation is a bizarre near-dealbreaker for me, as I can't be in a car without an iced coffee.

Agree with a growing sentiment throughout the forum that excitement is waning severely due to lack of information and the imminent dealership nonsense. I'm even looking at more expensive cars (2022 Volvo V60 Polestar Recharge, my goodness), which is completely illogical, but we aren't rational beings.

My plan is to request/demand their offer on paper before even going to the dealership, then taking all 10 days to strategize with all of you kind folk here.

Repeat from another thread - message from the GM at my dealer: " We will be pricing our vehicles at market price as we do with the rest of our inventory. We will not be discounting any vehicles until Kia gets us to a surplus of vehicles in inventory." So get ready.
I feel the same way about Polestar. There are a bunch for sale near me, but I just can't get comfortable with the dumb plastic center console hitting my knee, not to mention the sun in my eyes from the shadeless sunroof. Sure drives nice, tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts