Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my EV6 for just 2 days and find I just have so many questions when it comes to an electric car. But initially I'm wondering about winter care. I'm able to park it in my garage (unheated) and haven't as of yet gotten our charger installed.
Should I schedule a battery warm up every day even though I might not be going to work that day?
Or just start the car with the key fob for 10 minutes if I haven't used the car for a day or two?
There is that winter mode setting on the car but I'm told it's best not to use it.
Any tips I'd appreciate some education in this area.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You don’t have to leave it plugged in unless it’s going to be extremely cold (below -20 or -30°) and the car will cold soak in those temps over a day or two. If you are going out, I’d plug it in to get the battery heater working as well as have the ability to run the cabin pre-conditioning (scheduled climate or remote start) for longer than if you were to remote start without it plugged in (scheduled climate only works if it’s plugged in).

We’re still unsure about Winter Mode. I suspect it’s useful for much colder temperatures below 0°F.

·
Registered
Ordered: Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
81 Posts
Here is a good video from Tom Mulagney on 10 Cold Winter Driving Tips for an EV. As to Winter Mode, the first 2 pages of this Inside EVs forum post have an explanation for the Kona which may roughly be the same for the EV6 since it is also a Hyundai vehicle.

Until your garage EVSE is installed you may want to look into getting a portable EVSE. Some of them do Level 1 and 2 charging which could be useful on a road trip. I pulled together a list that can be found here: Portable L1/L2 EVSEs. Use it at your own risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts