Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Just a shot in the dark here, but does anyone use this dongle - carlinkitcarplay? (or a device similar to it). Where it turns the factory installed Apple CarPlay in your Kia EV6 into a wireless solution.

And if so, if you could please assist with the following two questions:
Does it reliably connect every single time? Or do you find yourself having to frequently adjust the settings.
Does your phone automatically & quickly connect once you start your vehicle?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use one in my current hire car, a Peugeot e208. It works really well and only on the odd occasion has it been slow to connect (or not at all). I just unplug it and pop it back in again and all is fine. I've had it running for a few months now and it's pretty flawless. I bought it knowing I'd want it for the EV6 and it just happens to work great in the Peugeot too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use this with my EV6 and it works well for me.

I don't use it on every trip, but when I do use it I plug it in just before or after I power up the car. A few connection screens appear on the central display and after five to ten second it has connected without any intervention from me. The central screen is then displaying Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I use a CPLAY2air and it connects every time to multiple phones... takes about 15 seconds but works very well. That's for Apple iOS

·
Registered
22 Posts
whatWhatWHAT? The EV6 doesn't support Wireless CarPlay? I'd assumed that was a given on a $60K car in 2022.

Surely it's coming later in an update? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use one in my current hire car, a Peugeot e208. It works really well and only on the odd occasion has it been slow to connect (or not at all). I just unplug it and pop it back in again and all is fine. I've had it running for a few months now and it's pretty flawless. I bought it knowing I'd want it for the EV6 and it just happens to work great in the Peugeot too.
Many thanks for the review. I’m contemplating the wireless CarPlay dongle for quite some time and by now the only thing stopping me is the steep price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use this with my EV6 and it works well for me.

I don't use it on every trip, but when I do use it I plug it in just before or after I power up the car. A few connection screens appear on the central display and after five to ten second it has connected without any intervention from me. The central screen is then displaying Apple Carplay.
Thanks, I’ll probably give it a shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a CPLAY2air and it connects every time to multiple phones... takes about 15 seconds but works very well. That's for Apple iOS
Really? But I've read a bit about carlinkit (and a few other products) but from what I cant find, carlinkit is the 'parent' of carplay2air, and is generally recommended.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Really? But I've read a bit about carlinkit (and a few other products) but from what I cant find, carlinkit is the 'parent' of carplay2air, and is generally recommended.
I have to be honest, I bought on price having read only a few reviews. I can't fault it really... works every time and even gives you a choice if you have multiple phones. I've not had an glitches. I'm two month in so reasonable test time.

My only issue is with user selection in the car. I can't work out if it's just the last user or linked to the keys (I think not) and sometimes user selection is disabled. If you start driving you can't change user when moving so your choice is to wait which is not great if you are in a hurry. This is a car issue not a CPLAY2air issue, mind you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm also very surprised EV6 have not resolved this in such an expensive car
People seem to keep forgetting this is not an expensive car relative to its direct peers. To use Hyundai groups own cars for comparison a top of the range ICE Kona in the UK is £26,515, the equivalent EV Kona is £37,145 so 29% difference and the only change is the EV drive train. This would mean based on the same ratio the top of the range EV6 ICE car (if such existed) would be $46,860 (based on released US EV6 prices). Not a cheap car but not in the Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc range either (I tried speccing a Jaguar e-pace to the same as an EV6 GT Line S and ended up at $58,400 - same spec i-pace $74,500). All new first edition cars have issues (this is my forth such) but in the case of Hyundai group they do seem to be trying to fix them so I think we need to give them some slack (and use a dongle or cable (my option) in the meantime).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
People seem to keep forgetting this is not an expensive car relative to its direct peers. To use Hyundai groups own cars for comparison a top of the range ICE Kona in the UK is £26,515, the equivalent EV Kona is £37,145 so 29% difference and the only change is the EV drive train. This would mean based on the same ratio the top of the range EV6 ICE car (if such existed) would be $46,860 (based on released US EV6 prices). Not a cheap car but not in the Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc range either (I tried speccing a Jaguar e-pace to the same as an EV6 GT Line S and ended up at $58,400 - same spec i-pace $74,500). All new first edition cars have issues (this is my forth such) but in the case of Hyundai group they do seem to be trying to fix them so I think we need to give them some slack (and use a dongle or cable (my option) in the meantime).
OK! Price-wise, I think the carlinkit’s $99 price tag is fair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to be honest, I bought on price having read only a few reviews. I can't fault it really... works every time and even gives you a choice if you have multiple phones. I've not had an glitches. I'm two month in so reasonable test time.

My only issue is with user selection in the car. I can't work out if it's just the last user or linked to the keys (I think not) and sometimes user selection is disabled. If you start driving you can't change user when moving so your choice is to wait which is not great if you are in a hurry. This is a car issue not a CPLAY2air issue, mind you.
This could be life changing. It might make sense to go wired for a long trip, right?

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's my plan. All shorter trips will be using the wireless CarPlay and I'll only be plugging in for longer journeys if the wireless charger can't keep up with use.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This could be life changing. It might make sense to go wired for a long trip, right?
That's my plan. All shorter trips will be using the wireless CarPlay and I'll only be plugging in for longer journeys if the wireless charger can't keep up with use.
charging is taken care of by the wireless charging bay at the top of the console. So you get in the car, drop on to the charging pad and away you go. Wired is fine if you want wires... cheaper of course, although the number of charge cables I go though maybe not over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
charging is taken care of by the wireless charging bay at the top of the console. So you get in the car, drop on to the charging pad and away you go. Wired is fine if you want wires... cheaper of course, although the number of charge cables I go though maybe not over time.
Hi friend! I ended up buying the carlinkit3.0 wireless adapter from carlinkitcarplay.com and it should be arriving next week. I will update once it is installed.😁

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi friend! I ended up buying the carlinkit3.0 wireless adapter from carlinkitcarplay.com and it should be arriving next week. I will update once it is installed.😁
Oh! That explains why they were giving great discounts on the Version 2. I'm hoping we get a NAV update which will include wireless car play but this kit really works well. Let us know how you get on, Sherri. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
charging is taken care of by the wireless charging bay at the top of the console. So you get in the car, drop on to the charging pad and away you go.
Yep, that's what I'd do for most journeys (although the phone would stay in my pocket). It's just that on longer journeys and if using nav on the phone, will the wireless charger pump enough in to keep the phone topped up? I've sometimes still had too much battery drain in the past on long journeys, hence going wired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh! That explains why they were giving great discounts on the Version 2. I'm hoping we get a NAV update which will include wireless car play but this kit really works well. Let us know how you get on, Sherri. :)
Got mine yesterday and it’s great, very responsive

Reactions: jongodfrey
1 - 20 of 27 Posts