Kia EV6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
326 Posts
Perhaps, but phone battery really isn't an issue for me so a tickle charge is more than enough.

My priority is having a functioning android auto. Other cars have demonstrated that it is possible to do this wirelessly so I think it's reasonable to expect it on a 2021 car that costs over 50k.
That’s not the point
Do you want wires from the front usb?
I've used them for 5 years already and not concerned about it myself. I guess I just figured that if this is the only thing that I can find to complain about that I'm being too picky.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wireless charging is a joke anyway. LOL They're way slower than a cabled charger.
Well that depends on the charger and the phone :D The EV6 wireless charger can deliver 15watts, so it's fast enough.

I've had a EV6 with upgrades from the dealer closed on thursday, till friday morning. And WOW :D
To keep my post in line for this thread, i tried my AAWireless box, and it works.
But unfortunately not in widescreen, not even when i used a cable, but hopefully it will come sometime down the line.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 FE - Glacier White
66 Posts
For me, having the wireless charge pad defeats the purpose if I have to be plugged in for CP or AA.
I agree but many cars have wireless charging without Wireless CarPlay. Makes zero sense to me. Of course, being an Apple person if the wireless charging pad only does 7.5W instead of 15W on iPhone (which most only do 7.5) I am not interested in the wireless charging anyhow. Things that are illogical in my mind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wireless charging is a joke anyway. LOL They're way slower than a cabled charger.
I disagree - use wireless throughout home and charges and while obviously not as fast - say using 18w wired vs 15w wireless that is minutes of difference in charge time. Just has to be 15W - but I am use to using USB in car so am good either way. I would love a 15W wireless charger in car with Wireless CarPlay though 100%.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used them for 5 years already and not concerned about it myself. I guess I just figured that if this is the only thing that I can find to complain about that I'm being too picky.
It is not a complaint or being picky - it should be standard in a $50k plus vehicle in 2021 ... and really interesting that it isn't

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've never used Carplay/AA so maybe it's not as automatic as I assume. But to me, the whole point of wireless is so you don't have that extra step when you get in the car. You can leave your phone in your pocket, or if it needs a charge, plop it down on the charging mat. But you don't have to think about it, fiddle with a cable that's fallen between the seats, get it into the tiny USB port on the bottom of the phone in poor or no light, etc.

Wireless is all about ease and automation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well that depends on the charger and the phone :D The EV6 wireless charger can deliver 15watts, so it's fast enough.

I've had a EV6 with upgrades from the dealer closed on thursday, till friday morning. And WOW :D
To keep my post in line for this thread, i tried my AAWireless box, and it works.
But unfortunately not in widescreen, not even when i used a cable, but hopefully it will come sometime down the line.
Actually, I think the AAWireless does in fact have widescreen. Least, I've seen reports you can force widescreen mode.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On a test drive at the weekend, I put an iphone on the wireless charger pad the "wrong way" round and ran the cable straight over to the front USB. I do appreciate that this is ever so slightly more effort than using wireless but it was fine. The main point is that Apple CarPlay worked very well. Full screen and easy to switch between EV6 and CarPlay. Waze was great and so was Amazon Music.
I'll just switch out the white cable for a black one and I'll be good to go.
I've Googled wireless CarPlay and a lot of users (e.g. BMW) have many issues with it being flaky anyway.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On a test drive at the weekend, I put an iphone on the wireless charger pad the "wrong way" round and ran the cable straight over to the front USB. I do appreciate that this is ever so slightly more effort than using wireless but it was fine. The main point is that Apple CarPlay worked very well. Full screen and easy to switch between EV6 and CarPlay. Waze was great and so was Amazon Music.
I've Googled wireless CarPlay and a lot of users (e.g. BMW) have many issues with it being flaky anyway.
Great post @arnsbrae!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you turn off the wireless charging and simply use that spot to hold the phone? Don't see how you could do both wireless charging and have the cable plugged in because it would charge through the cable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Did you turn off the wireless charging and simply use that spot to hold the phone? Don't see how you could do both wireless charging and have the cable plugged in because it would charge through the cable.
@Cnsheets, so when you have a compatible phone IN the wireless charger AND plugged in, the Qi charger lights up and appears to be charging as well. What I don't know is if it is truly charging through BOTH devices or not. LOL The only way to know is to test recharge rates of just the plugged in phone and one plugged in AND on the charge pad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got wireless Car Play with this pretty cheap adapter and it works great. I tried the CPLAY2air which I bought for $120which was around £90 UK delivered. It plugs in the the USB A socket and tucks in nicely. One the phone is paired that's it. The car senses that its installed so it connects up reasonably fast from a cold start. The phone once pairs can sit in the wireless charger. There are a few audio glitches if you change to an App whilst spotify is playing but I get the same on my phone so I don't think it's the unit. CPLAY2air say they have an apple sourced or approved chip set and it looks that way. I'll update when I have more time to play. So far so good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got wireless Car Play with this pretty cheap adapter and it works great. I tried the CPLAY2air which I bought for $120which was around £90 UK delivered. It plugs in the the USB A socket and tucks in nicely. One the phone is paired that's it. The car senses that its installed so it connects up reasonably fast from a cold start. The phone once pairs can sit in the wireless charger. There are a few audio glitches if you change to an App whilst spotify is playing but I get the same on my phone so I don't think it's the unit. CPLAY2air say they have an apple sourced or approved chip set and it looks that way. I'll update when I have more time to play. So far so good.
I was going to pick one of these up nearer my delivery time. Glad to hear it works OK :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I assume this is iPhone specific (?) and hopefully someone will prove something similar for AA.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts