Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In June of 2021, I made an online reservation for a First Edition Kia EV 6 after discussion with my wife. I paid our $100.00 deposit. We elected the Electrify America charging credit as a gift. I reside in California with my wife. On March 4, we took delivery of the vehicle. The car was financed in my wife's name and titled in her name by rule in California. Kia paid the dealership my $100 directly. So far, Kia has refused to send the code for the charging gift. Apparently Kia has decided that since I, a married male, made the reservation with my email address, but my wife of 38 years actually financed part of the car (however, a large down payment came from our joint checking account), we did not meet the Kia criteria for receiving the charging credit. So they kept our money (joint credit card account) for 9 months, delivered the vehicle, but don't want to honor providing the charging credit gift.

Apparently Kia does not think much of women financing and owning vehicles in California when they are married to men. Only men having standing according to Kia. Well Kia, get ready for lots of bad publicity when you marginalize women in American society. Oh, and get ready to explain yourselves to a judge and jury in California small claims court. I doubt the judge and jury will be sympathetic to your cause.

·
Registered
Snow White Pearl GT-Line AWD
1,406 Posts
The reservation agreement was between you, the one whom registered for the opportunity to purchase an FE, and Kia. Not your wife. You elected to make the purchase using her, and solely her, therefore its no longer a purchase through the reservation process. Its just a regular purchase that you are no longer eligible for the reservation gift. If the dealer gave you the $100 credit, thats probably because they were unaware that the reservation was not in your wifes name and likely will not get reimbursed by Kia for that $100. It has absolutely zero to do with your wife or being a woman. If your intention was to put it in her name to begin with, you should have made the reservation using her name. Its about you not following the rules of the reservation agreement that you agreed to be bound by. Now you want to blast Kia because of your failure to follow the rules?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought about buying a FE that a dealer has in stock, but I emailed Kia corporate first if I would get the gift, but they said it wasn't transferable to other buyers. So yeah, it's definitely not about women and you are just being a Karen about it.
The fact that you referred to him by a woman’s name makes this comment 100x better

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only a gentle suggestion, but isn’t the issue simply about two different people being involved in the overall transaction? I think it may have been the same issue if your partner had been a man so not really about marginalisation of women.
Men are never marginalized. They have credit and dominate the important positions in our society. Women don't. Kia didn't really understand why we put the vehicle in my wife's name. Think it over.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reservation agreement was between you, the one whom registered for the opportunity to purchase an FE, and Kia. Not your wife. You elected to make the purchase using her, and solely her, therefore its no longer a purchase through the reservation process. Its just a regular purchase that you are no longer eligible for the reservation gift. If the dealer gave you the $100 credit, thats probably because they were unaware that the reservation was not in your wifes name and likely will not get reimbursed by Kia for that $100. It has absolutely zero to do with your wife or being a woman. If your intention was to put it in her name to begin with, you should have made the reservation using her name. Its about you not following the rules of the reservation agreement that you agreed to be bound by. Now you want to blast Kia because of your failure to follow the rules?
Do you work for Kia? Acutally dealer knew nothing about the process. And you ignored the fact that yes, I did pay for a large percentage of the vehicle. And yes. Kia paid the money. And yes we live in the same home and the vehicle is community property. And yes, Kia has done and said nothing and given no response after 20 says of waiting. If I didn't complete the reservation process, I wouldn't have been able to purchase the vehicle at MSRP.

·
Registered
2022 F.E SMG # 0938/1500
127 Posts
Respect for people and or persons is lacking nowaday.

But not to worry too much, you still get free charging by signing up with Kia Connect and then signing up with Electrify America.

1,000 kilowatt hours for up to 3 years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This whole thread is fascinating but using gender...not sure it will help. Wouldn't he be a Kevin not a Karen? Not sure of the correct term.

Consider it is not about gender but just the name on the reservation and who the named owner is. If the names don't match beginning to the end....the arrangement is broken and they don't have to honour it. I do think Kia is splitting hairs in this case but it may be due to a lot of customers over the years and around the world "loopholing" their way into taking advantage of deals/discounts.

For example before arrival in the US there were more than a few forum members that had more than one reservation (and you were to only have ONE) to take advantage of colour, speed of delivery and possibly capitalizing on reselling a second car.

I would look up or ask around the forum if anyone else bought a cancelled FE order and was able to receive the KIA "gift"...if there was a "re-gift" to someone else, then there is precedence for you pss to receive it.

Hope this helps.

Yours truly,

Karen & Kevin

·
Registered
38 Posts
If Kia's policy is/was to provide a "gift" to the person who holds an original reservation that then buys the car, I don't see how it's sexist if you chose to reserve the car in one name and then buy it in another name, violating the terms of that policy. I can see how the situation is frustrating, especially if you only found out about the consequences of buying in a different name after the purchase was complete. But nothing you have presented in anyway suggests that this is about sexism.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It appears you had a contract with Kia. You then tried to change your side of it. It is clear the gift is not transferrable from others experiences here. It doesn't take too much thinking why a company would decline to do that. It is a shame you didn't appreciate that at the outset, or erhaps discuss your plans with Kia but it is your error, and keeping the contract was your responsibility.

The fact it was your wife/partner/best friend/someone you-just-met-in-the-supermarket is utterly irrelevant. You reserved a vehicle in your name. Somebody else bought and registered it. Gift benefit lost.

Good luck with the 'judge and jury'. I know the US legal system is pretty wild but really?

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the state of the world today - everybody becomes a victim when they don’t follow the rules.

Sad very sad - in this “all about me” society

It appears you had a contract with Kia. You then tried to change your side of it. It is clear the gift is not transferrable from others experiences here. It doesn't take too much thinking why a company would decline to do that. It is a shame you didn't appreciate that at the outset, or erhaps discuss your plans with Kia but it is your error, and keeping the contract was

tyour responsibility.

The fact it was your wife/partner/best friend/someone you-just-met-in-the-supermarket is utterly irrelevant. You reserved a vehicle in your name. Somebody else bought and registered it. Gift benefit lost.

Good luck with the 'judge and jury'. I know the US legal system is pretty wild but really?
[/

·
Registered
390 Posts
I love nutty threads like this :LOL:

OP goes off on one expecting loads of support. People correct the OP in a sensible manner. OP sensibly goes off to reflect on how they might have got the situation wrong DOUBLES DOWN!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts