Kia EV6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my car last week. Bought out of state, so I charged without issue at fast chargers on the way home, as well as an L2 charger at a hotel I stayed at. Also charged fine at home with the portable L2 charger I bought. Yesterday I set up a charging schedule, so I can start evaluating whether or not I'll have enough usage at night to justify switching to the EV plan with my electric provider. The scheduled charge last night worked fine. Today is my first day in the office with the car, so I wanted to use the chargers we have here. Plugged it in, I expected to have to use the "immediate" button to get it to override my scheduled charge and start charging immediately. Pressed it for a couple seconds, but nothing happened. I tried the "start charging" option in the app, but it eventually came back with an unsuccessful error. The app indicates the car is unplugged. When I plug the charger in, a little plug icon appears on the left side of the dash display, but the charging status circle that comes up indicating charging rate never opens, the connector doesn't lock, and the charge status indicator in the charging door never blinks. The car seems to recognize that a cable is plugged in, but never initiates charging. I've gone into the charge settings in the car and disabled the scheduled charging, but same thing.

These are 40A Clipper Creak charging stations, which appear similar to the one I successfully used at the hotel. The power light is on, but the charging light on the station never lights up. We have three of them, I tried moving to another one, but the behavior is the same (the 3rd one is in use). I tried turning the car on with the cable connected. A few minutes after connecting the cable, I hear the car murmur something, maybe charge unsuccessful, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if the issue is these chargers, or if setting up the charge schedule messed something up. I know the chargers work for other people here who have Teslas, and a Volt or Bolt, not sure which. Any ideas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would first try de-activating any scheduled charging, if I plug in at home outside of my schedule charge time the car will tell me "Charging Scheduled". The display on the instrument cluster will tell me what time the charge is scheduled to start. The only other thing I would try is to reduce your charging speed to reduced or minimum from the EV section on your infotainment screen.

·
Registered
Glacier FE AWD
24 Posts
This is a problem that seems to be popping up a lot more lately with Kia and they better nip this is the butt quick.

One sure way to drive people away from EV and your brand is to have people struggle to refuel the ivehicle, specially one that has sub optimal range for anyone with a long commute.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would first try de-activating any scheduled charging, if I plug in at home outside of my schedule charge time the car will tell me "Charging Scheduled
Thanks yes, that's what happened last night when I plugged it in, and it charged on schedule overnight. And I THINK when I plugged it in with a schedule the charging lights next to the connector scanned up and down. But now it doesn't do anything to indicate its plugged in other than the plug icon on the dash.

I also posted this on Facebook, someone who said he worked for Kia said he had the same problem after putting in a schedule. He recommended deleting the schedule in both the app and car, plugging it in, and locking it. I've done that, and still won't charge. I also tried the reduced charge rate setting.

I can make it home, so it's not the end of the world. But if I get home and it suddenly won't charge with my home charger, I'll be concerned.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have a similar issue on a public charging station. The best I get is a "charging interrupted" notification. I tried pressing and holding the "charge now" button but nothing happened or I get 4 blinking lights and "charging interrupted". I turned off scheduled charging and it worked.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just purchased my car last week. Bought out of state, so I charged without issue at fast chargers on the way home, as well as an L2 charger at a hotel I stayed at. Also charged fine at home with the portable L2 charger I bought. Yesterday I set up a charging schedule, so I can start evaluating whether or not I'll have enough usage at night to justify switching to the EV plan with my electric provider. The scheduled charge last night worked fine. Today is my first day in the office with the car, so I wanted to use the chargers we have here. Plugged it in, I expected to have to use the "immediate" button to get it to override my scheduled charge and start charging immediately. Pressed it for a couple seconds, but nothing happened. I tried the "start charging" option in the app, but it eventually came back with an unsuccessful error. The app indicates the car is unplugged. When I plug the charger in, a little plug icon appears on the left side of the dash display, but the charging status circle that comes up indicating charging rate never opens, the connector doesn't lock, and the charge status indicator in the charging door never blinks. The car seems to recognize that a cable is plugged in, but never initiates charging. I've gone into the charge settings in the car and disabled the scheduled charging, but same thing.

These are 40A Clipper Creak charging stations, which appear similar to the one I successfully used at the hotel. The power light is on, but the charging light on the station never lights up. We have three of them, I tried moving to another one, but the behavior is the same (the 3rd one is in use). I tried turning the car on with the cable connected. A few minutes after connecting the cable, I hear the car murmur something, maybe charge unsuccessful, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if the issue is these chargers, or if setting up the charge schedule messed something up. I know the chargers work for other people here who have Teslas, and a Volt or Bolt, not sure which. Any ideas?
You're not on your own. I've seen lots of posts on this issue. I can only charge DC, trying to charge AC trips the charging unit.

My local Kia garage in Newcastle UK tested the car and have ordered a whole new charging management system. 40 day backorder.

I'll post once completed to let all know if this works 👍 check out my other posts 👍

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're not on your own. I've seen lots of posts on this issue. I can only charge DC, trying to charge AC trips the charging unit.

My local Kia garage in Newcastle UK tested the car and have ordered a whole new charging management system. 40 day backorder.

I'll post once completed to let all know if this works 👍 check out my other posts 👍
I believe the difference here is that he is saying he can charge at home on AC. From what I understand of you issue AC charging just flat out does not work anywhere

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To update this... I'm happy to report that my car still charges fine at home. And I've discovered the issue, and I feel pretty stupid... I looked up the specific chargers we have at the office to see if they have any way of authenticating users. Turns out, they do. I do remember seeing a key slot on the side, I figured it was just physically to secure them. Since the power light was on, I didn't expect that they'd be powered, but disabled. I guess I just need to find out who's in charge of the keys. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
246 Posts
To update this... I'm happy to report that my car still charges fine at home. And I've discovered the issue, and I feel pretty stupid... I looked up the specific chargers we have at the office to see if they have any way of authenticating users. Turns out, they do. I do remember seeing a key slot on the side, I figured it was just physically to secure them. Since the power light was on, I didn't expect that they'd be powered, but disabled. I guess I just need to find out who's in charge of the keys. 🤦‍♂️

Glad to hear there is nothing wrong with your car. As an old programmer I always used to tell users that 90% of errors exist between keyboard and chair lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts