Kia EV6 Forum banner

Do you OPEN your sunroof?

• Yes

• No

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
2022 Kia EV6 First Edition Steel Gray Matte
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It bothers me soooooo much that everyone calls the Tesla/Ioniq5 glass roof a sunroof. LOL

It doesn't open people. It's a freaking skylight. It's useless.

....end rant. Carry on. Hahaha

EDITED: Please respond to the poll above. LOL

MurlinatoR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed. However, in the same vein, you can't get a panoramic sunroof in an EV6, you can only get a sunroof. 馃槈
You Sir are 100% correct. Notice that I only called it a sunroof. LOL Big Cheesy Grin

Registered
2016 Ford Edge Ti
My grandfather said to me decades ago that he didn't understand why anyone would cut a hole in a perfectly good roof just to put a widow in that hole that would in time, either leak, make noise, or crack. I thought he was right back then, and continue to believe that statement today. The only difference between then and now is that they call the glass in that opening a fancy name dreamt up by someone in marketing to snare an unsuspecting buyer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My grandfather said to me decades ago that he didn't understand why anyone would cut a hole in a perfectly good roof just to put a widow in that hole that would in time, either leak, make noise, or crack. I thought he was right back then, and continue to believe that statement today. The only difference between then and now is that they call the glass in that opening a fancy name dreamt up by someone in marketing to snare an unsuspecting buyer.
Hahahaha

Most manufacturers have redesigned them now so that they are virtually as quite as without the roof AND now are virtually leak proof having pressure seals now.

Registered
I have now a car with huge sunroof that opens up and in the back a fixed window. I really enjoy it as in the summer when you open it up all the heat is gone in seconds.
It will save a lot of Airco coolig power, that is actually the idea behind it in placing it in electric cars. Why cool by elecricity when you can use nature. Every kwh saving is extra.

Second it allows to minimize usage of airco on small trips and just use breeze air.. But I am not sure if the small opening in EV6 has the same benefit. The good thing about it is that it will make the car a lot stronger. When I bought espace there were no cracks 4yrs old, now everytime when you take a speedbump in a corner then it cracks a lot. Expect the EV6 will not have this issue as it has much larger structure and smaller opening... We will see...

Registered
FWIW, all but one of the vehicles I've had since 1984 has had a sunroof, and none of them leaked. Hope I'm not jinxing myself.

Registered
So if its night time or a very cloudy overcast day, is it still called a sunroof?
In dutch its called:
Glazen schuif-/kanteldak

Glass moveable, title-able roof

So we are allowed to use it 24x7 馃ぃ. We like to MAXimize the usage (Max Verstappen)

Registered
GT-Line.
It bothers me soooooo much that everyone calls the Tesla/Ioniq5 glass roof a sunroof. LOL

MurlinatoR
Maybe "fish tank" is better suited?

Registered

MurlinatoR
Newsflash.

Nobody opens their sunroof anymore. It鈥檚 all about light and a non opening, full size panoramic roof is better.

The so called 鈥淧anoramic鈥 sunroof on my EV6 is about as panoramic as a letter box!

馃榾

Registered
Newsflash.

Nobody opens their sunroof anymore. It鈥檚 all about light and a non opening, full size panoramic roof is better.
I still open mine, in the spring & fall. I also crack it while parked in the summer, it helps keep things a little cooler while protecting from rain (but not storms). Agree that a pano roof is the best compromise, more light w/o giving up the ability to open it. But given the choice, I will take a smaller operable sunroof over a larger fixed glass roof.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also open mine regularly from April through October probably. LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's get to the bottom of this monumental rift!

Poll at the top. Do you open it? Yes or No. LMBO

Registered
Far from useless, they can transform the cabin by letting light flood in, particularly full length panoramic glass roofs. I actually don't understand why people want a sunroof that opens, noisy as hell when its opened, and defeats the purposes of having AC, and a complex mechanical system that is prone to failure, and i imagine a permanently sealed glass roof is substantially less likely to leak that one that is designed to open and shut. Personally, I would have preferred a glass roof in the EV6 to the rather small sunroof, but its not a deal breaker.

Registered
yep I open mine most journeys - front half opens, rear half is fixed - one mahoosive part opening pan roof! Minimal wind noise and much prefer the ventilation it gives - makes for a very airy/well lit interior. Volvo XC90 btw

Registered
I hate sunroofs. They cut into head room, I hate the noise when they're open, and I honestly can barely notice the extra light.

Panoramic glass roofs seem better but I've never had one.

Registered
I've heard sunshine roof, which is particularly optimistic here in the UK but also moon-roof which makes no sense either because it's always cloudy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts