Kia EV6 Forum banner
341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
So the “reduced” charge setting worked for two weeks and now last night the car stopped charging after two hours even on that setting :mad:

Outdoor ambient temperature cannot be the only explanation as it was a 60 degree evening. There’s only one lower setting left - what’s a person supposed to do when that stops working, too?
Take it to the dealer and leave your car there for 30 days. Then they either fix it, or you lemon law it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So the “reduced” charge setting worked for two weeks and now last night the car stopped charging after two hours even on that setting :mad:

Outdoor ambient temperature cannot be the only explanation as it was a 60 degree evening. There’s only one lower setting left - what’s a person supposed to do when that stops working, too?
If your charging termination doesn't respond to a lower charge rate or lower temperatures then I would suspect we have different problems. Yours need to have the dealer check the battery cooling fan to make sure it is coming on and the temperature sensor to make sure it's working correctly. Our situation responds to lower temperatures and at higher temperatures it responds to lowering the charge rate. You don't sound like the same issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your charging termination doesn't respond to a lower charge rate or lower temperatures then I would suspect we have different problems. Yours need to have the dealer check the battery cooling fan to make sure it is coming on and the temperature sensor to make sure it's working correctly. Our situation responds to lower temperatures and at higher temperatures it responds to lowering the charge rate. You don't sound like the same issue. Good luck.
Thanks. I've scheduled a service appointment, earliest available was two weeks out. Seems like if a fan wasn't activating - the car would provide some indication something was wrong. Every time this happens there's been "no issues found" according to the App and no indication from the car or the charger that anything had occurred that wasn't supposed to. As I mentioned, using "Reduced" AC Current did solve the issue for two weeks.

Is the consensus that the overheating issue is occurring at the front of the car or the charge port? I'm wondering if more clearance in the garage one way or the other wouldn't allow more airflow and avoid the issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. I've scheduled a service appointment, earliest available was two weeks out. Seems like if a fan wasn't activating - the car would provide some indication something was wrong. Every time this happens there's been "no issues found" according to the App and no indication from the car or the charger that anything had occurred that wasn't supposed to. As I mentioned, using "Reduced" AC Current did solve the issue for two weeks.

Is the consensus that the overheating issue is occurring at the front of the car or the charge port? I'm wondering if more clearance in the garage one way or the other wouldn't allow more airflow and avoid the issue.
My personal opinion is the issue is the charging port system. Putting a fan at the front to increase circulation shouldn't matter but seems to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My personal opinion is the issue is the charging port system. Putting a fan at the front to increase circulation shouldn't matter but seems to.
Thanks. It does seem to be the charge port system or at least a temperature sensor on the charge port system. Between this forum and an Ioniq 5 forum I found, there's one owner of each who has had the charge port/cabling replaced and has so far not had the issue since. I'm suspecting they got a bad batch at some point. Although I'm sure Hyundai and Kia would love to rule out the possibility that the issue can be resolved thru software or a small temperature sensor replacement first before going through the cost and trouble and tearing out and replacing the entire charge port system on all of these cars...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks. It does seem to be the charge port system or at least a temperature sensor on the charge port system. Between this forum and an Ioniq 5 forum I found, there's one owner of each who has had the charge port/cabling replaced and has so far not had the issue since. I'm suspecting they got a bad batch at some point. Although I'm sure Hyundai and Kia would love to rule out the possibility that the issue can be resolved thru software or a small temperature sensor replacement first before going through the cost and trouble and tearing out and replacing the entire charge port system on all of these cars...
I agree with you, it does appear to be a bad temp sensor. What I haven't figured out yet is why the handle gets hot when the issue occurs.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Put your own external fan in the front under the front of the car and move the air and see if that makes a difference.

If the car circuits turn on the fan but it doesn't move then it would not register an issue just turn off the charge when the sensor said "too hot" but you should be able to hear the cooling fan when it turns on...we can.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put your own external fan in the front under the front of the car and move the air and see if that makes a difference.

If the car circuits turn on the fan but it doesn't move then it would not register an issue just turn off the charge when the sensor said "too hot" but you should be able to hear the cooling fan when it turns on...we can.
Yeah I've heard the fan before. There are some vents that are supposed to open in the front as well no?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Possible, but unlikely. Based on other unrelated threads here, the car will actually throw "check electrical system" errors (think check engine light) if the vents are even partially stuck.
Gotcha. I had that error once while backing the car out of the garage. Went away the next day before I could get it to a dealer and the car changed its mind about there being anything wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gotcha. I had that error once while backing the car out of the garage. Went away the next day before I could get it to a dealer and the car changed its mind about there being anything wrong.
Yeah, I think that scenario is related to the vents funny enough, lol. It's amazing that the car can complain about a vent but not throw up alarms on a charging issue...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agreed. With all of the alerts and sensors, neither the car nor my “smart” charger has anything to say about abruptly ending the charge after two hours.
I've actually got an appointment with my dealer coming up for my "8K service" and to see if they can diagnose a bad temp sensor or whatever. The way I look at it, they'll either find something or the car will be on attempt 2/3 on repairs before I can lemon law it. So it's progress in any case lol. They do have a loaner for me, so thats atleast nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Successfully charged uninterrupted last night with the "Minimum" setting. Checked the charger two hours in and the car was silent - no fan - and the handle was cool to the touch. But "Minimum" appears to operate at a very slow 6.6kW, so I guess that's not surprising. Not really a practical option for anyone on an off-peak rate plan as it takes forever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We charge our EV6 at home and for the last week it keeps saying “charge interrupted” and stops charging. To restart the charger, we are having to unplug and plug 5 or 6 times to get a full charge.
I have had the same issue and tried three different Level 2 chargers including Charge Point and Juicebox 40. The car has now been to three different dealer service departments and has been at the last one for three weeks with no results and Kia Customer Service has been involved also. I would think with the number of complaints of this same thing that Kia would have a fix for this soon if not already. Two Tech cases have been started. The dealer was also getting the same result on charging, no go on max or reduced but it will charge on minimum.

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
202 Posts
I have had the same issue and tried three different Level 2 chargers including Charge Point and Juicebox 40. The car has now been to three different dealer service departments and has been at the last one for three weeks with no results and Kia Customer Service has been involved also. I would think with the number of complaints of this same thing that Kia would have a fix for this soon if not already. Two Tech cases have been started. The dealer was also getting the same result on charging, no go on max or reduced but it will charge on minimum.
Its because the charger has a max of 40 amps, and the EV6 is trying to pull 48, causing the charger to shut down for protection. It's happened to me too, and many others.

341 - 359 of 359 Posts