Kia EV6 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
202 Posts
the cable is crazy thick.
That's not a good thing imo. The Shell cable is crazy think and for someone that uses the portable charger a lot, because I mainly plug in at work, it becomes unwieldy and a pain to roll back up and put away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's not a good thing imo. The Shell cable is crazy think and for someone that uses the portable charger a lot, because I mainly plug in at work, it becomes unwieldy and a pain to roll back up and put away.
I means its not a portable charger so its not really an issue for me. Cables got to be thick to handle the amperage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok.. did a completely uncontrolled, vaguely scientific experiment on our EV6.

Some background: We were getting interrupted charging once summer hit at around 11kw in our ~80F garage. Had no issues when we first got the car charging at this rate and in cooler ambient temps. I bumped the charging rate in the car down to 'reduced' and this seemed to fix the issue. I have charged Tesla's/etc. with no issues with our home charger, so I don't think it's the charger.

So.. today, I plugged it in and selected max charging rate in the car. I put a box fan on the plug/handle area. The garage was about ~80F. Voila`.. it charged with no issues at roughly 11kw. My guess is the plug temp sensors? The battery cooling fan kicked on high a few times, and I heard the ICC cooling running the whole time. Just trying to troubleshoot this a bit before we take it in the the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No fix yet. I sent Kia an email stating that we have a forum with 323 posts so this is a major issue. Honestly it is cool to get a response from a big company like Kia. Here is the response:

"I have not been told of a fix yet. But all issues are being reviewed. Kia will advise customers when a Fix is available. We do apologize for all inconvenience you are experiencing. Thank you."

·
Registered
126 Posts
No fix yet. I sent Kia an email stating that we have a forum with 323 posts so this is a major issue. Honestly it is cool to get a response from a big company like Kia. Here is the response:

"I have not been told of a fix yet. But all issues are being reviewed. Kia will advise customers when a Fix is available. We do apologize for all inconvenience you are experiencing. Thank you."
It feels a bit of a standard response though. Did they actually react to our particular issue?

·
Registered
327 Posts
During a 3 hour 11.5kW Chargepoint Flex charge, I got a 5min dip to 2kW. I do recall the fans kicking on. No charging interrupted though. 80*F in garage. Could be the BMS protecting against heat
based off of temp or time. Who knows..

View attachment 8839
How strange an event you have recorded. I have an exact looking charge event and this is my first charge on my GTL AWD from 22% to 100%.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number
Font Slope Circle Parallel Darkness

·
Registered
194 Posts
That happens all the time, to all of us. I have a friend who owns 4 Bolts, and he says those do the same. The Bolt forums think it is a safety check to make sure the battery isn't getting too warm. It could also be a cell leveling cycle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm having some real issues as well. Last night I wanted to charge to 100% but got stuck at 64%. Didn't get a failed error but it was just stuck all night. As soon as I unplugged it and plugged it back in it started charging up again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not sure how many of you with charging issues have knowledge on best practices of these types of batteries. I can not just write LiFEPO4 as it appears that automotive is using some Ni, Cd, Mg and many other elements to make up these rechargeable batteries.

Its not different then what you surely heard about charging any mobile phone device or electric shaver, anything that is rechargeable. You get it ready to charge, and you leave it charging until the charge cycle is done, and remove it from charging as soon as you can. These batteries today are not supposed to have a memory of charging if you put it on at 20% and then think, oh, I need to use my device and remove it from charging at 30%.. then you are done using the device and back to the charger, 10 minutes later I need to use my device again and remove it from the charger and use it down to the 20% that was earlier, and back to the charger.. these are not good practices of charging. These will effect the battery in the way the heat is going into the battery charging, and the way the heat is leaving the battery being used.

You must have a habit of a cycle that works for the battery, and your environment you live in. If you are doing the 20% / 80% / 20% charging and you have a level 2 charger at home, you know you need to allocate 4-5 hours of charging time that is uninterrupted. Start the charge, finish the charge, remove the charging handle. This is the life of your car and its components. We are not at technology yet that is plug, charge 15 minutes, drive 45 minutes, plug, charge 15 minutes, drive 45 minutes. That is not good for the battery no matter what the factory puts out as an advertisement. They dont really expect you to do that, but it sounds good on paper and sells cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I was having the same charging issue so I scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. They told me to try using their level 2 charger and see if the issue still remain. So I charged at the dealership for almost 2 hours and didn’t seem to stop the charging which is good. However, they would’ve charged me $165 if I insisted to have them inspect on the battery which I don’t think is reasonable. I thought this is also included in the 10 years warranty or I might be wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was having the same charging issue so I scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. They told me to try using their level 2 charger and see if the issue still remain. So I charged at the dealership for almost 2 hours and didn’t seem to stop the charging which is good. However, they would’ve charged me $165 if I insisted to have them inspect on the battery which I don’t think is reasonable. I thought this is also included in the 10 years warranty or I might be wrong.
Yeah, I don’t know why they would charge you. It should be part of the warranty stuff. Also - are you sure it’s a L2 AC and not just like a 50kwh DC charger? That’s what my local dealers have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They dont charge the diagnostics fee if it turns out you have a real warranty issue, the fee is just to weed out folks that would waste their time. Its to make sure you are showing up with a real issue before they have a tech start looking into it, those guys have to get paid for their time spent on your car and Kia doesn't give them anything if no warranty claim is filed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HERE IS AN UPDATE ON OUR EV6 CHARGING....
NOW THE THE TEMPERATURE DROPS WE HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS.
PRIOR I REPORTED THAT WITH TEMPS AT OVER 80 IN THE GARAGE, WE COULD NOT CHARGE UNLESS WE SET THE EV6 AT MINIMUM CHARGE RATE 50% AND USED A SEPARATE FAN UNDER THE CAR. THIS CHARGED FOR MAYBE 9 HOURS AT 20A (WE'RE USING A MUSTART 40A CHARGER)

SOMETIMES AT MEDIUM CHARGE RATE 32A AND 75-80 DEGREES WE COULD GET A CHARGE WITH THE EXTERNAL COOLING FAN.

NOW IT IS BACK TO 72 IN THE GARAGE, WE'RE CHARGING AT MEDIUM CHARGE RATE, 32A, AND GOT 53KW CHARGING FOR 7 HOURS - NO INTERRUPTIONS.

SO GIVEN THE NUMBER OF TESTS I WOULD SAY THIS EV6 IS HEAT SENSITIVE (THE INTERNAL COOLING FAN IS WORKING AND WE HAD THE CAR INSPECTED BY THE LOCAL DEALER SAID THAT NOTHING WAS WRONG.

STILL LOOKS LIKE TO US THAT THE CHARGING TEMPERATURE IS TOO SENSITIVE. ANYONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO CHARGE IN THE RANGE OF 70-80 DEGREES - EITHER AT HOME OR CHARGING STATION. IF YOU CAN'T CHARGE AT 40A WITHOUT AN INTERRUPTION THAT'S NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
2022 EV6 GT-Line AWD
36 Posts
Issue with others at home charging. Took it to local Stafford Kia dealer and it charged fine there and they said they don't know why. I have this cable below. Any other cables people have that are working? Thanks 🙏

Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs

1. Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs
I have the same charger and have never had an issue with the car set to “reduced”. The display on the unit shows how much current the car is pulling. Set the car to reduced before you plug in.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
233 Posts
HERE IS AN UPDATE ON OUR EV6 CHARGING....
NOW THE THE TEMPERATURE DROPS WE HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS.
PRIOR I REPORTED THAT WITH TEMPS AT OVER 80 IN THE GARAGE, WE COULD NOT CHARGE UNLESS WE SET THE EV6 AT MINIMUM CHARGE RATE 50% AND USED A SEPARATE FAN UNDER THE CAR. THIS CHARGED FOR MAYBE 9 HOURS AT 20A (WE'RE USING A MUSTART 40A CHARGER)

SOMETIMES AT MEDIUM CHARGE RATE 32A AND 75-80 DEGREES WE COULD GET A CHARGE WITH THE EXTERNAL COOLING FAN.

NOW IT IS BACK TO 72 IN THE GARAGE, WE'RE CHARGING AT MEDIUM CHARGE RATE, 32A, AND GOT 53KW CHARGING FOR 7 HOURS - NO INTERRUPTIONS.

SO GIVEN THE NUMBER OF TESTS I WOULD SAY THIS EV6 IS HEAT SENSITIVE (THE INTERNAL COOLING FAN IS WORKING AND WE HAD THE CAR INSPECTED BY THE LOCAL DEALER SAID THAT NOTHING WAS WRONG.

STILL LOOKS LIKE TO US THAT THE CHARGING TEMPERATURE IS TOO SENSITIVE. ANYONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO CHARGE IN THE RANGE OF 70-80 DEGREES - EITHER AT HOME OR CHARGING STATION. IF YOU CAN'T CHARGE AT 40A WITHOUT AN INTERRUPTION THAT'S NOT GOOD.
When it is below 85F in my garage I can charge at 40A, 9.2kW. Above 85F, I have to set the AC charging current to "Reduced" which results in a 8.3kW charging rate in order to not have charging stop and get the charging failed message via the Kia Access app. Others have reported that the overheating is due to a temperature sensor in the charging port. I have not tried to put a fan blowing on the port area or a wet towel wrapped around the handle to act as a heat sync. Kia Customer Service instructed me to take it into the dealer and mention the temp sensors in the charging port possibly being the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
WE ALSO CONTACTED KIA SUPPORT FOR THIS ISSUE AND THEY ASKED US TO GO BACK TO THE DEALER AGAIN. WE'RE YET TO DO THAT. FROM YOUR RESPONSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY'RE ACKNOWLEDGING THE PROBLEM, THAT PROGRESS.

SEE MY LATEST STATUS POST FROM TODAY ON THIS ISSUE. NOW THAT THE TEMPERATURE IS DROPPING WE GET DIFFERENT RESULTS AND ARE ABLE TO CHARGE AT A HIGHER RATE.

·
Registered
126 Posts
WE ALSO CONTACTED KIA SUPPORT FOR THIS ISSUE AND THEY ASKED US TO GO BACK TO THE DEALER AGAIN. WE'RE YET TO DO THAT. FROM YOUR RESPONSE IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY'RE ACKNOWLEDGING THE PROBLEM, THAT PROGRESS.

SEE MY LATEST STATUS POST FROM TODAY ON THIS ISSUE. NOW THAT THE TEMPERATURE IS DROPPING WE GET DIFFERENT RESULTS AND ARE ABLE TO CHARGE AT A HIGHER RATE.
Thanks for your updates. Also, are you aware your caps lock is on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Changed the AC Charge Current on the car from Maximum to Reduced and the car charged to 100% successfully. Current only seems to be reduced from 11kw to 9.7kw so not a huge loss in speed really.
So the “reduced” charge setting worked for two weeks and now last night the car stopped charging after two hours even on that setting :mad:

Outdoor ambient temperature cannot be the only explanation as it was a 60 degree evening. There’s only one lower setting left - what’s a person supposed to do when that stops working, too?

321 - 340 of 359 Posts