Kia EV6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
320 Posts
I will be taking the car to be checked, I only need to try a few more L2 chargers first and better document the issue so they can duplicate it in the shop. I just don't have a lot of free time these days.
First time that happened to me was not that hot outside, maybe around 60F.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 Wind AWD Glacier White
320 Posts
This is a bit hyperbolic. At this point Kia is not hiding anything from anyone. I am running more tests on my situation and will take it to the dealer for the issue if it cannot be resolved.
Mike you are right, probably I misspoke. Most likely they are investigating the issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I got home from work around 6:00 and started charging the car. Got a message after an hour that “Charging Interrupted” Unplugged the car, waited 10 minutes and started charging again. After 20 minutes, same thing “Charging Interrupted” This is frustrating as I really don’t have time to babysit the car all night so I have enough charge for my commute. Will try pointing a portable fan at the charging port to see if that’s the issue if the charge stops again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I got home from work around 6:00 and started charging the car. Got a message after an hour that “Charging Interrupted” Unplugged the car, waited 10 minutes and started charging again. After 20 minutes, same thing “Charging Interrupted” This is frustrating as I really don’t have time to babysit the car all night so I have enough charge for my commute. Will try pointing a portable fan at the charging port to see if that’s the issue if the charge stops again.
Right, you should contact Kia consumer affairs and open a case. I just did earlier today, let’s get attention to the problem.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts
Mike you are right, probably I misspoke. Most likely they are investigating the issue.
@avh no worries, I know we are all EV, and specifically EV6 enthusiasts, and we get fired up about these issues. As such we tend to see problems first and they are amplified because we are a small group. I do think people should track these issues, bring them to our dealers attention so they can notify Kia and report them to directly to Kia.

·
Registered
2022 Gravity Blue EV6 AWD w/ Tech Package
196 Posts
What kind of tests are you running? Curious to potentially replicate your results.
I have an OBD2 dongle so I am able to monitor sensors but I have yet to see any issues. One thing odd that I noticed is that when charging fails (I get the charging has failed notification via the Kia app), if I start the car the charging restarts. Like others, I also noticed the first time it fails it will charge the longest before failing usually 45-60 min and it happens sooner each subsequent time you restart charging. This might suggest it is a heat issue. I do noticed the Wallbox unit and J1776 handle get very warm, not hot but warm.

I had set a Remote Start Schedule, but not a Remote Climate Schedule, for the past month with no charging problems. Wallbox mentioned that some car's scheduled charging does not work well with Wallbox's scheduled charging. They mentioned the two may not communicate well. Yesterday in the car I cancelled the Remote Start Schedule and turned off the Departure Dates. I then started charging at the full 40A power. After 1 hour of charging I did not receive the failed notification (unfortunately the battery was at 78% when I started so I only went to 90%). After this I remembered I wanted to check the tightness of the screws securing the 6/3 wire; they were all tight but I snugged them up a 1/16 of a turn just for good measure.

Wallbox asked that I try lowering the amperage and charging so I lowered it to 30A and charged to 100% for my first 528 mi road trip I am taking today. Charging was successful. What complicates this whole thing is Wallbox pushed new firmware literally the day before I started having this problem so that is one more variable.

I will be charging via the Shell Recharger Portable L1/L2 unit at my in-laws house over the next week so that should rule in or out the issue being due to the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have an OBD2 dongle so I am able to monitor sensors but I have yet to see any issues. One thing odd that I noticed is that when charging fails (I get the charging has failed notification via the Kia app), if I start the car the charging restarts. Like others, I also noticed the first time it fails it will charge the longest before failing usually 45-60 min and it happens sooner each subsequent time you restart charging. This might suggest it is a heat issue. I do noticed the Wallbox unit and J1776 handle get very warm, not hot but warm.

I had set a Remote Start Schedule, but not a Remote Climate Schedule, for the past month with no charging problems. Wallbox mentioned that some car's scheduled charging does not work well with Wallbox's scheduled charging. They mentioned the two may not communicate well. Yesterday in the car I cancelled the Remote Start Schedule and turned off the Departure Dates. I then started charging at the full 40A power. After 1 hour of charging I did not receive the failed notification (unfortunately the battery was at 78% when I started so I only went to 90%). After this I remembered I wanted to check the tightness of the screws securing the 6/3 wire; they were all tight but I snugged them up a 1/16 of a turn just for good measure.

Wallbox asked that I try lowering the amperage and charging so I lowered it to 30A and charged to 100% for my first 528 mi road trip I am taking today. Charging was successful. What complicates this whole thing is Wallbox pushed new firmware literally the day before I started having this problem so that is one more variable.

I will be charging via the Shell Recharger Portable L1/L2 unit at my in-laws house over the next week so that should rule in or out the issue being due to the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the update. I’ve actually started a similar test with my ChargePoint sans OBDII dongle. I removed all the remote start and charging schedules on the EV6 and I was able to charge at 40A from like 75% to 90% without issue. I’d like to see what happens if I turn it back up to 48A as well as enable the charging schedule within the EVSE rather than the car.

I will say that my ChargePoint unit and handle do get warm as well, but idk if that’s abnormal because it seems like a 40A+ constant charge would generate heat if it’s like 1-2 hours or more.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Mike, what do you think about this charge curve? The dip seems weird to me. It goes from like 9.6KWh to 1.5KWh and then back up to 9.6KWh.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Brand

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another update - Not sure if they're just stalling but I called my dealer this afternoon who said that Kia was aware of these charging issues and was investigating how to fix this heated related problem. Supposedly they'll know more in mid-late August...but i don't know if I can put much stock in this. At the same time, the dealer didn't want to see the car for diagnosis again, which itself is weird...so maybe that means they aren't just lying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Shroudnight thanks tons for the update! You rock for letting us know this!!! I might not bring my car in tomorrow. I will call them tomorrow.

Kia AWD Wind - Tesla charger on a 100 AMP circuit with a TelsaTap (regular one, not the mini)

I want to list all the things I have done and it seems like the last one worked:
1. Scheduling: Removing the scheduled time completely did not work. Just plug in and charge did not change anything, still failed.
2. Charge speed setting in car: For those that don't know there is a slow, med, and fast setting to charge the car. I tried Medium and Fast and neither fixed the issue, still stopped charging.
3. Charged it on a Level 2 at work - THAT WORKED FINE. Charged 30% to 80% no problem and the cord was not warm.
4. Heat from the home charger - we noticed the TeslaTap was warm (it is not the teslatap mini). The tesla charger cable is not warm at all. It is normal for the teslatap adapter to get a little warm but wondering if that is contributing because of the last thing I did, see below. I think if that is the case a TeslaTap mini might be the fix (in my situation) if I want to charge fast b/c it should not get as warm.
5. Tesla charger speed:
  • Since I never needed 100 AMPs going to the car I have always had it set to 48 AMPs. Failed at 48 AMP
  • I changed to 40 AMPs and that did not help. At times within 15 minutes it would stop charging.
6. I contacted TeslaTap and he gave me advice on how to make sure there is no moisture in the teslatap. I did that. He then said to dial the charger down significantly.
- Tesla charger speed lowered to 24 amps: 2 hours of charging later it is doing fine. The teslatap does not feel as warm. For my situation, I might try to get the teslatap mini instead. I do NOT feel this is an issue with TeslaTap, those guys are amazing!!!! Especially given the fact that I am the only one with a tesla charger here, everyone else has another charger. It is seeming from my experience so far that the car is sensitive to the cable being warm or for others maybe the internal temp getting high with normal home chargers.

So right now, if having the issues and you have the ability to dial your charger down then try that. Hopefully Kia will fix this.

I will also call Kia Consumer Affairs as Shroud suggested.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We charge with an 48 AMP Emporia wall charger to 80%, then if we need more we do a finish charge at 15 amps up to 100%. Not always, just to 100% if we're heading out on a trip.

Aren't you supposed to slow down the charge at 80%? I figured so because the EA public chargers do.

Jus' Sayin'.
Damfino. The Kia EV6 rule book kind'a hints at it and to once a month charge to 100% if you haven't already.

Do batteries still develop a memory?

I have seen people wrap a wet rag around Tesla charging handles to cool them down.
Google images:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I reduced the charging current and this time it charged from 11% to 100% overnight without any interruption! Finally.
On dashboard, go to EV, there is a setup button on the bottom right. Then change charging current level from Max to Reduced.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mike, what do you think about this charge curve? The dip seems weird to me. It goes from like 9.6KWh to 1.5KWh and then back up to 9.6KWh. View attachment 7407
That dip happens every time I charge at home. I have a whole house energy monitor which shows it like this:
Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus. When I asked a friend of mine (who owns 4 Bolts) about this, he said all the Bolt owners see it, and in their forum they believe it is an intentional pause to detect thermal runaway issues during charging.

The extra peaks before, during, and after the major load are my air conditioning units.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's a different charging session with the same drop near the end. I put the cursor on two spots to label the energy. The weather wasn't as hot that evening, so the AC wasn't running as often.
Rectangle Product Font Slope Parallel

21 - 40 of 82 Posts