Kia EV6 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Wind
322 Posts
The EVSE is supposed to tell the car the maximum it supports, which the car should honor. So connecting to my ChargePoint (set to 40A) the EV6 draws 40A. The idea is that you plug it in and just works.

If that does not work, something is wrong with either the EVSE or the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The EVSE is supposed to tell the car the maximum it supports, which the car should honor. So connecting to my ChargePoint (set to 40A) the EV6 draws 40A. The idea is that you plug it in and just works.

I agree with you, I think Jason’s situation is a bit unique..maybe the the EVSE.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Yes, I agree this should be seamless and plug in and charge, disconnect and drive. Should no greater issue than pulling up to the fuel pump in the ICE and selecting the grade of fuel, pay, drive off.

Yet, so many have charging issues based on what element is the question. Charger to car protocol needs more development so that the correct amp rating of charge is put into the car and wiring, to battery. We have to set the car to the lowest or medium setting so it slows down the charge rate and amperage. I just checked mine. It was set to max. I plugged in not knowing all the charge issues last friday and it did the max on the chargepoint since it is hard wired. 48A. I turned the car interface down so I will see how the ChargePoint reacts to that on the next charge session.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Issue with others at home charging. Took it to local Stafford Kia dealer and it charged fine there and they said they don't know why. I have this cable below. Any other cables people have that are working? Thanks 🙏

Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs

1. Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Issue with others at home charging. Took it to local Stafford Kia dealer and it charged fine there and they said they don't know why. I have this cable below. Any other cables people have that are working? Thanks 🙏

Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs

1. Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - for J1772 Evs
When you say it charged fine at the dealership, do you mean while using your same Lectron charger or while using the dealer's charger? If your Lectron charger worked fine charging your car at the dealership, then the issue is most certainly with the amperage of your outlet at home being too high or too low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problems with charging the EV6 in St. Louis heat. EV6 charged no problem for the first 6 weeks I owned the car, even in 90+ degree heat. Always charged at night. I have chargpoint home flex hard wired 60 amp. First charging problem came the day I received an over the air update. I thought it was related to that issue. However charge interrupted on every home charge since the update. I reduced charging speed on the EV6 to medium level. Charged longer, about 2 hours, but still interrupted. Next I tried the fan trick and that worked. I pointed a fan directly at the charging port during charging. Worked fine at the reduced charging rate. Although the ambient temperature was much improved also. Charing failures usually with nighttime temps in the 80s. Charging success with the fan and temperature of 68. Next step will be charging at max rate with the fan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had the same problems with charging the EV6 in St. Louis heat. EV6 charged no problem for the first 6 weeks I owned the car, even in 90+ degree heat. Always charged at night. I have chargpoint home flex hard wired 60 amp. First charging problem came the day I received an over the air update. I thought it was related to that issue. However charge interrupted on every home charge since the update. I reduced charging speed on the EV6 to medium level. Charged longer, about 2 hours, but still interrupted. Next I tried the fan trick and that worked. I pointed a fan directly at the charging port during charging. Worked fine at the reduced charging rate. Although the ambient temperature was much improved also. Charing failures usually with nighttime temps in the 80s. Charging success with the fan and temperature of 68. Next step will be charging at max rate with the fan.
Damp cloth on tesla's supercharger handle works at keeping things "cool"

May be worth a try on the j1772 CP handle

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will always say that updates are not always the best thing to take use of. If it is currently working, and you can live with something like the temperature resets to Metric ( C ) when you use the remote climate turn on feature, then maybe that is worth living with to have good charging results. I was going to USB update my NAV and whatever else it does, but not now. The car only has 250 miles and so far I have only charged once and it worked 100% great. Soon I will do the 2nd charge cycle we will see if it is still on the good side. My radio plays great too. I have seen to many say the update messed up the amp.

·
Registered
46 Posts

That charger is trash, I got one for free with my EV6 from the dealership and it will quit charging while claiming "Over current" showing 46 amps before it stops charging. Its designed for 40 amps so not sure why it allows itself to go over that amount.... Very poor design. The bad people over at "Lectron" suggested I downgrade my breaker to 40 amps to stop it from doing this. like what??? Yeah, it will technically not error out anymore, rather the breaker will just pop.... delusional people. I should have just sold it immediately, but I wanted to save a little money. I ended up doing the right thing and got a proper hardwired unit, a ClipperCreek HCS-60. charging good at 11.3kW , no issues so far, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD Yacht Blue
202 Posts
That charger is trash, I got one for free with my EV6 from the dealership and it will quit charging while claiming "Over current" showing 46 amps before it stops charging. Its designed for 40 amps so not sure why it allows itself to go over that amount.... Very poor design.

I got a ClipperCreek HCS-60 installed today, charging good at 11.3kW , no issues so far, fingers crossed!
That problem isn't isolated to just the Lectron. I have a shell charger and it's doing the same thing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That problem isn't isolated to just the Lectron. I have a shell charger and it's doing the same thing.
I wonder if its made by the same factory, as is often the case with things out of China.
The car is reporting correctly that it can take roughly 46-48 amps to the charger, so im not sure why these 40 amp chargers think its ok to say "OK , sure ill give you all I got" and then they trip on overcurrent. They should never under any circumstances allow over 40 amps of current, hard stop.

It makes no sense and does not follow the J1772 standard. These Lectron chargers would never pass actual UL testing, makes sense as they are not UL listed.

I got one of these HCS-60 ClipperCreek chargers for more than half off brand new from some seller on eBay, could not be happier with it. Works great. Saved over $500. Came brand new in the box, unreal deal. the cable is crazy thick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the charge interrupted capture happen to me the last two nights I've needed to charge with my EV6 and a 40A Grizzl-E charger charging overnight. Without reading all 16 pages, it sounds like consensus is this a outdoor temp related issue (maybe hardware for some? ). I park/charge outside so a fan is not an option for me unfortunately. We are in a record heat wave for September, but I had no issues with similar outdoor temps charging in July. If this problem is related to heat, I wonder why I never had problems when I was charging in July or during the days this whole summer when temps were higher than current night time temps?
Interestingly, when I first had the error and restarted the charging I sat and watched for 5 minutes and noticed I was only charging at 8.5 kw instead of 9.1 kw. Lowering the car setting to reduced amps had the car charging at 8.1 kw instead of the normal 9.1 kw but this still resulted in charge interrupted. Also, 8.1kw seemed high to me for a reduced rate... Would the lower than usual charge rate after restarting or somewhat high charge rate at the reduced setting help indicate if this is a car issue or power company issue? Could the Grizzl-E have interrupted the charge because of unusually high or low voltage from the power company (which may be caused by the heat wave)?

301 - 320 of 359 Posts